User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I ordered a 19" flat screen tv from Walmart online and had it sent to the store, and I can't even go pick up mah tv from the Walmart without an ID.
    They can do that? The East coast has a ridiculous level of bureaucracy.

You should have had it sent to your home. Surely the delivery people don't ask for an ID?

Why can't they give you any kind of temporary ID so that you're not stuck like this? When I went to get my State ID, I got a temporary ID until they could send the card.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    They can do that? The East coast has a ridiculous level of bureaucracy.

You should have had it sent to your home. Surely the delivery people don't ask for an ID?

Why can't they give you any kind of temporary ID so that you're not stuck like this? When I went to get my State ID, I got a temporary ID until they could send the card.
    I can't have it sent to my home because I'm at work all day, and delivery services won't leave stuff on the doorstep in my neighborhood.

I can't get a temporary ID for the same reason I can't get a driver's license.

Ain't life fun?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I can't have it sent to my home because I'm at work all day, and delivery services won't leave stuff on the doorstep in my neighborhood.
    Well, that's true. Too bad about work.
    I can't get a temporary ID for the same reason I can't get a driver's license.

Ain't life fun?
    Yeah. I almost think it ends up being a form of discrimination against women. I mean, you might very well have to show a MARRIAGE certificate because your name no longer matches your birth certificate, and I think it's completely unreasonable to have someone's ability to prove their identity hinging on that one document. This would never happen to a man, because he never changes his name. In fact, since your birth name appears your social security card and is considered a form of registration, he may never even need to present anything more than that. Even asking for a birth certificate would be highly unlikely.

Which is probably why this has never been ironed out of the system.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Tiltyred, sending you some to get through all this.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm out $145 and nothing to show for it, between the administrative fee and ordering the marriage certificate copy. I read yesterday on the DMV website where they are not giving you your driver's license at the same time you go get your picture taken and all. They mail it to you. So who knows how long it's going to be.
    Fascinating.

In PA, you can walk in, change your driver's license info right there, and get a new photo card on the spot. Each state is different.

I'm sorry, that just sucks... not to mention with the whole thing starting with you getting dumped in the dark alongside the road. (!)

of course they have to expect you to pay taxes, Jeff. They're different branches of gov, and different levels. They know Tilty exists in her current name and is being taxed under that name on payroll, so that's fine for the IRS's purposes. The issue is that there is no clear paper trail running from the birth certificate to the current ID to prove Tilty and the name on the BC are the same person... so hence the hoops. People have abused the system by taking BC's not their own, so ... they can't tell who a legitimate person is vs not without the paper trail.

A lot of this is due to the prior administration in its attempts to crack down on terrorism in the US... a lot of restrictions were tightened everywhere and it has really screwed over some people with legitimate reasons for changing their ID or not having an ID that matches. I've been through some of these headaches recently... but not as ridiculous as the ones described here.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

That is total b*llshit! Let the vehement phone calls and letter writing begin! That is... if you have the energy left after all this bologna.

Appalling.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Thanks for the sympathy and understanding!

Athenian, the personnel director at my job said the same thing, that it's discriminatory against women.

The marriage license came today and I faxed it to a woman at the DMV headquarters in Richmond who I was able to convince to listen to me, so we'll see what happens now.

This is what happens when you leave the house, I'm telling you! There's just no percentage in it!

MBTI
    INTP

Why wouldn't the (suspended) driver's license count as proof of legal presence, for Chrissakes!?

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Why wouldn't the (suspended) driver's license count as proof of legal presence, for Chrissakes!?
    Identity theft is way too easy nowadays, so aggravating safeguards have to be put into place to prevent this sort of thing. No one cares about paying out the insurance on $400 worth of ID-theft purchased goods, but when it's over $1000, insurance companies get a little antsy about paying out.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    That was my question, too. They said because I didn't walk in with it. I couldn't walk in with it, because the cop took it. But I've had a driver's license in Virginia continuously, starting with my birth certificate name through till my present name, so why can't the DMV use their own records for proof?

Also I happened to have, in my stash of papers, a copy of my former driver's license, with my picture on it.

Didn't matter.