User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Jesus!

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post

Just wanted to make sure we were agreed on that one. You didn't actually say how you felt about it at first.

That said, I think there should be discouragement of undesired behaviors. I just think that anything that could cause lasting physical damage should pretty much be off the table. Emotional scars should be avoided as well, but people are so different emotionally that it's harder to say where that line is.

Discipline can cross the line from guidance to simple cruelty and traumatization at a certain point. Just like good law enforcement can become tyranny at a certain point. Extremes are usually bad.
    This was a case of a woman who was very alarmed and very determined, but just had no idea what to do.

It's really sad. I mean, the girl wasn't having sex because of her lack of a clit ring in the first place.

MBTI
    ENtJ
    Enneagram
    8w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

Man, that's too much. I'm really surprised they didn't give her some sort of jail time for that.
    Whatever happened to proper punishment? I guess grounding and stuff didn't work, but really. Can't a parent send their children somewhere if they can't handle their behavior, like a rehab center or something? It's really sounding like we need some facilities like that in the US. How sad.
    "Yet, the right act
    Is less, far less, than the right-thinking mind.
    Seek refuge in thy soul; have there thy heaven!"

MBTI
    INTj

Her actions were over the top, but her goals were reasonable. It's not just about punishment. She was trying to dissuade a seemingly reckless behavior that could have life long consequences.

MBTI
    yupp

What? ok so sometimes its ok to forcefully pierce your teen daughter? no it's never ok, there are other things that could have been done.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Um, okay, damn, well....

First of all, the child's behavior was atrocious - running off having sex with lots of guys, even the MOTHER'S BOYFRIEND??? I mean is that??? Doesn't this girl have any moral standards at all???

HOWEVER, that doesn't justify the MOTHER'S behavior, which was completely reprehensible. I mean, I'd rather go before the law before I injure my kid like that....I mean, whooooooaaaaa! And trust me, I wouldn't even go before the law for much even in the worst case.

If I did not know any better, I'd say that was a "Payback's a bitch" moment for fucking her boyfriend. But I could be wrong there.

THEN, there's the matter of the jury acquitting her - COMPLETELY! I mean not, "Bad girl, don't do that again," not "What the fuck, take the kid and put her into another home where she won't undergo genital mutilation at least." not "Okay, woman, pay a fine and go to jail and do not pass go and do not collect $200." THIS WOMAN GOT OFF!

This means one of three things. Either

a) The prosecution of the state sucks, which is a worry.
    b) The State did a good job, but the people really thought it was okay, which is also a worry.
    c) The State did a bad job or didn't WANT to make a good case to make sure she got off, and even if they had done a good job, she still would have been acquitted.

I mean what the hell kind of a world do we live in where mothers are incapable of instilling basic values and morals to children??? Where children do not even have common sense not to fuck their mother's boyfriend among X amount of other guys??? And where a mother can mutilate her child without it being called abuse??? And the state can't/doesn't want to put forth a good case of child abuse??? GAH!!!!!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

The even more messed up thing is people's complete disregard for the child. Yeah, she screwed her mom's boyfriend. Does anyone ever wonder why? Things don't just... happen. There's always a reason for everything.

It pisses me off, the people who are so quick to judge kids who have grown up in those broken homes, labeling them as "delinquents" or "bad" or "immoral". God, ignorant people like that have no idea what those kids have been through. That doesn't mean people should ignore their behavior; but if you're labeled "bad" since you were a kid, you'll begin to believe you are. People need to get off their high horses and try placing themselves in those kids' shoes. Instead of punishing and ostracizing those kids, why don't people empathize and try to help?

It's sick that they didn't even consider getting the kid away from that fucked up environment. Ugh...
    "So I say, live and let live. Thatís my motto. Live and let live.
    Anyone who canít go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by rainoneventide View Post
    The even more messed up thing is people's complete disregard for the child. Yeah, she screwed her mom's boyfriend. Does anyone ever wonder why? Things don't just... happen. There's always a reason for everything.

It pisses me off, the people who are so quick to judge kids who have grown up in those broken homes, labeling them as "delinquents" or "bad" or "immoral". God, ignorant people like that have no idea what those kids have been through. That doesn't mean people should ignore their behavior; but if you're labeled "bad" since you were a kid, you'll begin to believe you are. People need to get off their high horses and try placing themselves in those kids' shoes. Instead of punishing and ostracizing those kids, why don't people empathize and try to help?

It's sick that they didn't even consider getting the kid away from that fucked up environment. Ugh...
    That's what I meant. I just prefaced it by saying the girl's behavior was also really inexcusable, but obviously she was a product of the home she was raised in (at 13!!!). So she obviously needs to be with people who treat her with more respect and give her some moral foundation. Maybe then she will treat HERSELF with respect.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    That's what I meant. I just prefaced it by saying the girl's behavior was also really inexcusable, but obviously she was a product of the home she was raised in (at 13!!!). So she obviously needs to be with people who treat her with more respect and give her some moral foundation. Maybe then she will treat HERSELF with respect.
    I know you're on the same page, the topic just made me think of some ignorant people's views of kids like her. Yeah, she really, really needs that... your perception of yourself when you're a kid definitely lasts till you're an adult.
    "So I say, live and let live. Thatís my motto. Live and let live.
    Anyone who canít go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin

MBTI
    INTj

Keep in mind that we are likely not dealing with an upper middle class family here. What good would be served by punishment in this case? Throw the mother in jail and the kid will likely end up in the not so desirable social welfare system. Give her a fine and the family could end up evicted and homeless. Retribution is not warranted since the mother's actions were more misguided than evil.

I think we need to look at it from the perspective of what's best for the kid in a situation where resources are limited.

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Her actions were over the top, but her goals were reasonable. It's not just about punishment. She was trying to dissuade a seemingly reckless behavior that could have life long consequences.
    Except her actions were unreasonable, much less completely and utterly insane. She basically did the equivalent of "I don't want you going out late at night, so I cut off your hands and legs!"