123 Last

heart on fire

Default Polar bear expert barred by global warmists

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

It's finally starting to shine through just how much of all the fuss in the world is blown-out-of-its-proportions political catalysts?

Wouldn't have thought that'd ever happen.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

He's right that there are more polar bears today than there were in the 1970s, but this is mostly because of government regulation that started in the 1970s that protects polar bears. Like the Marine Mammal Protection Act and the The 1973 International Agreement on the Conservation of Polar Bears, between the United States, Russia (at that time, the Soviet Union), Norway, Denmark and Canada.

FactCheck.org: Are there three times as many polar bears in the Arctic now as there were in the 1970s?

He didn't seem to really challenge the idea that the ice caps are melting. The evidence towards that is fairly clear.

Since 1979, the size of the summer polar ice cap has shrunk more than 20 percent. (Illustration from NASA)

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    He didn't seem to really challenge the idea that the ice caps are melting. The evidence towards that is fairly clear.
    Remember that one of the most important aspects of the rhetorical situation is the author's purpose. The nature of this topic and the article it contains is that of an ethos attack. So in other words, it's not trying to make a direct logical argument about environmental damage, but instead highlighting the prejudice and manipulation of the environmentalists to cast doubt on their integrity.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Sounds a lot like excommunication.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Scientific studies must be funded. Often, corporations have the cash to donate. It is not too far fetched to consider that the research performed with corporate dollars will up front be disallowed from harming the profits of the mother company.

I only recently watched "An Inconvenient Truth." Having 3 of 4 years of a B.S. in Biology under my belt (switched majors to MIS, now finishing my MPA) I can say that I am compelled to believe there is something to rising CO2 levels having an effect on global temperatures. Industry, automobiles, and household emissions are more voluminous with each passing year.

Look at the melting of the ice on Mt. Kilimanjaro. The peak in the 1970s was huge and stark white. Viewing photos of the mountain as the years pass brings you to the obvious conclusion that there is alot less ice on the top of that mountain than ever before. Something is going on. Polar bear counts are a red herring I think. Correlation is not causation. Just because there are more polar bears than ever before does not mean that the ice caps are not melting due to global warming.

BTW, I am not a tree hugger, but I am also not a reckless capitalist. As a species we must protect Mother Nature, or she will abort our sorry asses from the planet.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Scientific studies must be funded. Often, corporations have the cash to donate. It is not too far fetched to consider that the research performed with corporate dollars will up front be disallowed from harming the profits of the mother company.

I only recently watched "An Inconvenient Truth." Having 3 of 4 years of a B.S. in Biology under my belt (switched majors to MIS, now finishing my MPA) I can say that I am compelled to believe there is something to rising CO2 levels having an effect on global temperatures. Industry, automobiles, and household emissions are more voluminous with each passing year.

Look at the melting of the ice on Mt. Kilimanjaro. The peak in the 1970s was huge and stark white. Viewing photos of the mountain as the years pass brings you to the obvious conclusion that there is alot less ice on the top of that mountain than ever before. Something is going on. Polar bear counts are a red herring I think. Correlation is not causation. Just because there are more polar bears than ever before does not mean that the ice caps are not melting due to global warming.

BTW, I am not a tree hugger, but I am also not a reckless capitalist. As a species we must protect Mother Nature, or she will abort our sorry asses from the planet.
    I think the issue here is not that he disagrees with melting ice caps or that Global Warming is not happening [the doctor in question thinks it is], but that a scientist who found evidence that contradicts the Global Warming sales pitch was excluded from a gathering because of his data.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I think the issue here is not that he disagrees with melting ice caps or that Global Warming is not happening [the doctor in question thinks it is], but that a scientist who found evidence that contradicts the Global Warming sales pitch was excluded from a gathering because of his data.
    Thank you, Professor Obvious.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post

This doesn't seem to help your hypothesis. The 1970s were only thirty years ago, and both factories and combustion engines were far dirtier then than they are now (and had been for over a century). What would have made the melting speed up so quickly, especially in Africa, where there are comparatively fewer factories and combustion engines? I am not saying that carbon emissions don't factor into global warming (I think they do), but your example here doesn't seem to be supported. There is plenty of evidence to show that the world has been getting warmer since the last Little Ice Age. A far more pressing concern about carbon-emitting factories and vehicles is poor air quality. This is why China's air quality is suffering so badly right now. They are growing through an industrialization process much the same as the Western world did a century ago, and thus produce the most air pollution in the world.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    ...noise...
    Have you watched "An Inconvenient Truth?" If so, great, then you are aware that the hypothesis above is not mine. It is not possible for me to summarize the entire film for your benefit, nor do I care to as I am not interested. Please put it in your Netflix queue, or check it out from your local library. Al Gore does a great job in this film of explaining global warming.

If you are one to deny that man's industrialization over the last hundred years is having any effect at all on the planet's climate, then please go take a few deep breaths from a filthy smoke stack at your local coal plant.

Good day.