User Tag List

First 345

Results 41 to 47 of 47

  1. #41
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I never said he was a JFK or anything, it is just that his personality isn't "horrible" and it didn't really hurt him in the 2000 election. His personality certainly no worse than George W. Bush, same for speaking style.
    But to middle Americans he sounded like a pin-head, but with Bush, they wanted to have a beer with him.

    I think that made it harder for him to reach out beyond his political base, in places like the Midwest.

  2. #42
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I never said he was a JFK or anything, it is just that his personality isn't "horrible" and it didn't really hurt him in the 2000 election. His personality certainly no worse than George W. Bush, same for speaking style.

    I don't know about that. Remember when everyone was joking about how close the platforms of Gore and Bush were in 1999-2000? It came down to personality for some people. Bush is considered very gregarious and outgoing, and he has an uncanny knack for remembering names and bits of information about people. This is one of the reasons why he had relatively positive press coverage from the mainstream press before and during the election of 2000. It started to sour a little with the popular vote/electoral vote split, and then took a big turn after his response to 9/11 and then the ensuing war in Iraq.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Even if apocalyptic global warming was real, a good portion of the prescribed actions will be purely profit motivated. We could hand trillions over to clever corporations and end up doing nothing to save the world. It's dangerous to replace critical thought with faith in yet another higher authority.

  4. #44
    meat popsicle r.a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    STFU
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Even if apocalyptic global warming was real, a good portion of the prescribed actions will be purely profit motivated. We could hand trillions over to clever corporations and end up doing nothing to save the world. It's dangerous to replace critical thought with faith in yet another higher authority.
    common sense exists in this thread

  5. #45
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Even if apocalyptic global warming was real, a good portion of the prescribed actions will be purely profit motivated. We could hand trillions over to clever corporations and end up doing nothing to save the world. It's dangerous to replace critical thought with faith in yet another higher authority.
    Actually, the large emission-heavy corporations are the ones who don't want global warming regulation and alternative-energy development. ExXon, for example, funds anti-global warming lobbyists and studies.

    The small burgeoning alternative-energy industry would stand to benefit however, but that would be a good thing, because it would be replacing emission-heavy producers.

  6. #46
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post

    The small burgeoning alternative-energy industry would stand to benefit however, but that would be a good thing, because it would be replacing emission-heavy producers.
    I think the bolded is more important to the issue than people think, and for different ways. I think a good portion of the "90% of all scientists who agree" with AGW do so, however they are not catastrophists who legitimately think the world will end in 100 years if nothing changes. Changes to emissions, energy technology, etc are good changes and many people won't disagree with that perspective, however I think the tone and some of the language used by the more vociferous activists bothers some.



  7. #47
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I think the bolded is more important to the issue than people think, and for different ways. I think a good portion of the "90% of all scientists who agree" with AGW do so, however they are not catastrophists who legitimately think the world will end in 100 years if nothing changes. Changes to emissions, energy technology, etc are good changes and many people won't disagree with that perspective, however I think the tone and some of the language used by the more vociferous activists bothers some.
    I don't fall on the alarmist end of the spectrum, but to be fair to them, there is a lot of science that arguably justifies alarm. This creates a sense of urgency that is emotion-fueled for some, and that's why I agree that they can really bother people.

    And some of those bothered people use them as an excuse to disregard the exhaustive amount of science and evidence that backs up the theory.

Similar Threads

  1. TED Talk By INFP MBTI Expert - The joys and pain of growing up different
    By highlander in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2014, 09:33 AM
  2. Video: TED Talk By INFP MBTI Expert - The joy and pain of growing up different
    By highlander in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 09:07 PM
  3. £13($21) trillion: Hoard Hidden from Taxman by Global Elite
    By Rail Tracer in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-24-2012, 02:35 AM
  4. NH Woman Survived Bear Attack - Rescued By Pet Dog
    By Lexicon in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 07:16 PM
  5. Argentina: Suicide Pact *May Have* Been Influenced by Global Warming Fears
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-03-2010, 08:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO