User Tag List

First 345

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I never said he was a JFK or anything, it is just that his personality isn't "horrible" and it didn't really hurt him in the 2000 election. His personality certainly no worse than George W. Bush, same for speaking style.
    But to middle Americans he sounded like a pin-head, but with Bush, they wanted to have a beer with him.

I think that made it harder for him to reach out beyond his political base, in places like the Midwest.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I never said he was a JFK or anything, it is just that his personality isn't "horrible" and it didn't really hurt him in the 2000 election. His personality certainly no worse than George W. Bush, same for speaking style.

I don't know about that. Remember when everyone was joking about how close the platforms of Gore and Bush were in 1999-2000? It came down to personality for some people. Bush is considered very gregarious and outgoing, and he has an uncanny knack for remembering names and bits of information about people. This is one of the reasons why he had relatively positive press coverage from the mainstream press before and during the election of 2000. It started to sour a little with the popular vote/electoral vote split, and then took a big turn after his response to 9/11 and then the ensuing war in Iraq.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTj

Even if apocalyptic global warming was real, a good portion of the prescribed actions will be purely profit motivated. We could hand trillions over to clever corporations and end up doing nothing to save the world. It's dangerous to replace critical thought with faith in yet another higher authority.

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Even if apocalyptic global warming was real, a good portion of the prescribed actions will be purely profit motivated. We could hand trillions over to clever corporations and end up doing nothing to save the world. It's dangerous to replace critical thought with faith in yet another higher authority.
    common sense exists in this thread

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Actually, the large emission-heavy corporations are the ones who don't want global warming regulation and alternative-energy development. ExXon, for example, funds anti-global warming lobbyists and studies.

The small burgeoning alternative-energy industry would stand to benefit however, but that would be a good thing, because it would be replacing emission-heavy producers.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post

The small burgeoning alternative-energy industry would stand to benefit however, but that would be a good thing, because it would be replacing emission-heavy producers.
    I think the bolded is more important to the issue than people think, and for different ways. I think a good portion of the "90% of all scientists who agree" with AGW do so, however they are not catastrophists who legitimately think the world will end in 100 years if nothing changes. Changes to emissions, energy technology, etc are good changes and many people won't disagree with that perspective, however I think the tone and some of the language used by the more vociferous activists bothers some.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I think the bolded is more important to the issue than people think, and for different ways. I think a good portion of the "90% of all scientists who agree" with AGW do so, however they are not catastrophists who legitimately think the world will end in 100 years if nothing changes. Changes to emissions, energy technology, etc are good changes and many people won't disagree with that perspective, however I think the tone and some of the language used by the more vociferous activists bothers some.
    I don't fall on the alarmist end of the spectrum, but to be fair to them, there is a lot of science that arguably justifies alarm. This creates a sense of urgency that is emotion-fueled for some, and that's why I agree that they can really bother people.

And some of those bothered people use them as an excuse to disregard the exhaustive amount of science and evidence that backs up the theory.