User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    I'm a bad person because...BAH HA HA HAAA!

Also, I think An Inconvenient Truth was a TERRIBLE film. How anyone can watch that and come away with a positive impression of Al Gore, simply on a personal level, is a mystery to me.
    If there were one way to separate the contemptible from the worthy among the human race, that would be the determining factor.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by RuffledINTP View Post
    We are not all going to agree because, depending on what information source you choose to look at, it's easy to be swayed to either idea and to feel pretty strongly about the choice. It really is a core value thing.
    Well, the science on the "anti-global warming" side isn't quite equal to that of the global warming side. Both sides have supporting evidence, but one of them has about 90% of that evidence.

And with less evidence, it takes a larger leap-of-faith to be swayed in that direction.

Also, I think An Inconvenient Truth was a TERRIBLE film. How anyone can watch that and come away with a positive impression of Al Gore, simply on a personal level, is a mystery to me.
    On a personal level, Al Gore is terribly uncharming. He probably would have won in 2000 if it wasn't for his horrible personality. But just on the science presented in the movie alone, it was pretty good. Al Gore does his research.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Well, the science on the "anti-global warming" side isn't quite equal to that of the global warming side. Both sides have supporting evidence, but one of them has about 90% of that evidence.

And with less evidence, it takes a larger leap-of-faith to be swayed in that direction.

I believe in climate change, so of course I see the "anti-global warming" evidence as less than convincing and often easily discredited. I can, however, understand why people don't readily just believe. It's threatening for people to change their way of thinking, especially about scholarly things that they might not fully understand. It's easy to just dismiss facts as mumbo jumbo rather than taking the time to really examine it and think about what the effect such things would have on not just the right now but years in the future. It's just a fact that so many people aren't willing to look forward past the end of their lives or to care, just figuring people will deal with it when it happens, if it happens. People get upset when you question their beliefs, as well, and most aren't willing to take the time to appreciate the other's views..

There is a fundamental difference in "pro" and the "anti" stance that isn't going to change. I just get annoyed with the shit throwing and negativity. It builds on itself and creates an atmosphere in which a middle ground is impossible to find. Human nature isn't going to change any time soon.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I don't begrudge him making the film, it's a fine idea, however the whole tone and attitude was absurd. It sounded more like an evangelical "repent and ye shall be saved" instead of a scientific documentary. Honestly he could have avoided this whole debate in the first place if he had taken a more balanced, even keeled perspective.

heart on fire

^+1

On a personal level, Al Gore is terribly uncharming. He probably would have won in 2000 if it wasn't for his horrible personality. But just on the science presented in the movie alone, it was pretty good. Al Gore does his research.
    I think Al Gore's personality is fine. He ran a good campaign in 2000, won the popular vote. The media and SNL are the ones putting the spin that he's got this awful persona.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I think Al Gore's personality is fine. He ran a good campaign in 2000, won the popular vote. The media and SNL are the ones putting the spin that he's got this awful persona.

Many of the people that voted for him weren't particularly big fans of his personality. They were fans of his being VP to a pretty popular guy in the White House.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

heart on fire

^ I just get tired of the knee jerk media talking points. The Bush whitehouse never did anything because they were "stupid" and Al Gore didn't "lose" the 2000 election because he had the worst personality in the history of Presidential campaigns.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by RuffledINTP View Post
    I believe in climate change, so of course I see the "anti-global warming" evidence as less than convincing and often easily discredited. I can, however, understand why people don't readily just believe. It's threatening for people to change their way of thinking, especially about scholarly things that they might not fully understand. It's easy to just dismiss facts as mumbo jumbo rather than taking the time to really examine it and think about what the effect such things would have on not just the right now but years in the future. It's just a fact that so many people aren't willing to look forward past the end of their lives or to care, just figuring people will deal with it when it happens, if it happens. People get upset when you question their beliefs, as well, and most aren't willing to take the time to appreciate the other's views..

There is a fundamental difference in "pro" and the "anti" stance that isn't going to change. I just get annoyed with the shit throwing and negativity. It builds on itself and creates an atmosphere in which a middle ground is impossible to find. Human nature isn't going to change any time soon.
    Yeah I think it mostly has to do with what a person's politics were when they were introduced to the global warming issue. If the global warming threat is real and we have to do something about it, that leaves economic conservatism and high-emission industries vulnerable to be tampered with by the government.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I don't begrudge him making the film, it's a fine idea, however the whole tone and attitude was absurd. It sounded more like an evangelical "repent and ye shall be saved" instead of a scientific documentary. Honestly he could have avoided this whole debate in the first place if he had taken a more balanced, even keeled perspective.
    All political and social documentaries do this though. There is always the very emotive music in the background and the dramaticism. That's standard.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I like him myself. But he does put ordinary Americans to sleep. Just look at his oratory style compared to Obama's.

heart on fire

I like him myself. But he does put ordinary Americans to sleep. Just look at his oratory style compared to Obama's.
    I never said he was a JFK or anything, it is just that his personality isn't "horrible" and it didn't really hurt him in the 2000 election. His personality certainly no worse than George W. Bush, same for speaking style.

I never saw the film in its entirety.
    That said, I never liked Gore.
    I think he has a hidden agenda.

Years ago the same fear-mongering BS was done with:
    "The Coming Ice Age!"
    I bet people were contacting their real estate agents to buy igloos.

If I thought there was untainted evidence out there, I'd listen.
    By untainted, I mean totally free of any monetary consideration.
    There are scads of jackasses who secured grants worth millions,
    just to research global warming.

People do, and say, the damndest things once large sums of money is involved.

Some see global warming as an issue; a cause.
    Others have turned it into a profitable business, making money hand over fist,
    by scaring susceptible people.