User Tag List

123 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Default State Supreme Court: Al Franken wins. Filibuster-proof Senate reached.

Norm Coleman is unlikely to challenge the decision and bring it to the federal level. This will give Democrats a filibuster-proof 60-seat majority in the Senate. Republicans are basically irrelevant in D.C. right now and their future isn't looking bright.

Minnesota court rules Democrat Al Franken won Senate seat

MINNEAPOLIS (Reuters) - The Minnesota Supreme Court on Tuesday declared Democrat Al Franken the winner of a tight U.S. Senate race over Republican Norm Coleman, which should give Democrats the 60-seat majority they need to overcome procedural obstacles and push through their agenda.

Coleman has said in published reports he is unlikely to appeal the state court's decision to the federal courts. Under state law, the court's decision gives Franken the right to occupy the seat, which has been up for grabs since last November's election.

Minnesota Republican Governor Tim Pawlenty has said he will certify the election winner based on what the state court decides.

If the decision holds up, Democrats will control 60 of the 100 Senate seats -- enough to overcome Republican procedural roadblocks in a clear boost to President Barack Obama's agenda.

Democrats hold a solid majority in the U.S. House.

However, Senate Democrats may not be able to count on Arlen Specter's vote. Specter, a former Republican from Pennsylvania, switched parties in April but has said he will vote his own way and not necessarily along party lines.

The Minnesota contest has seen several switches. Coleman, seeking a second term, held a razor-thin lead after the November 4 election over Franken, a well known satirist and a former writer and actor for the popular Saturday Night Live television show.

But the close vote triggered an automatic recount of the 2.4 million ballots cast for the two men, and Franken edged to a 225-vote lead. That result was challenged by Coleman, and a judicial panel agreed to add only a few hundred previously rejected absentee ballots. That tally expanded Franken's lead to 312 votes.
    Minnesota court rules Democrat Al Franken won Senate seat | Reuters

...turns out he was right.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Too bad for America.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Too bad for America.
    If it's what they want, it's what they want.

MBTI
    INTP

Too bad for America.
    No, too bad for SJ America.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

America: Never a Dull Moment.

(I can't wait until Church Lady wins Kansas.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    No, too bad for SJ America.
    Having a filibuster proof senate is only good assuming Dems will be responsible enough to wield such power, which is a rather dubious claim.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I wouldn't even wish a filibuster proof majority for the republicans (if I thought republicans were a good party). That sort of imbalance is just asking for trouble. Alas, There are a very limited number of people who understand that.

Having a filibuster proof senate is only good assuming Dems will be responsible enough to wield such power, which is a rather dubious claim.
    That would indeed be an absurd claim considering what they've done so far.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Regardless of your party, I think everyone should agree that it's about damn time.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Norm Coleman is unlikely to challenge the decision and bring it to the federal level. This will give Democrats a filibuster-proof 60-seat majority in the Senate. Republicans are basically irrelevant in D.C. right now and their future isn't looking bright.
    I severely doubt all 60 will vote on the same thing many times, if ever, in the course of this arrangement. The other problem is that the legislative Democrats are actually starting to butt heads with Obama a little. I also have no idea why Pelosi still runs the show as if her party weren't in a dominating position. Point is, I don't have a sense of hope.

Congrats to Al, though. I have two of his books. I didn't really believe he'd acheive this goal of his.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    America: Never a Dull Moment.

(I can't wait until Church Lady wins Kansas.)
    Well, you have to remember that we're specifically talking about Minnesota, the place that made Jesse Ventura governor.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

It basically means that liberal policy is going to be passed easier.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Well, you have to remember that we're specifically talking about Minnesota, the place that made Jesse Ventura governor.
    It's too bad it wasn't Carl Weathers or Bill Duke -- otherwise, along with Schwarzenegger in CA, we might have had a Predator "3-pack."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft