User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should the United States move towards providing universal health care?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

47 62.67%
  • No

28 37.33%
First 45678 Last

MBTI
    YaYa

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Naturally, as many countries currently do, various elective procedures should also not be covered by the universal healthcare system.
    Like sex change operations?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post

How about that? I'm in Pennsylvania, and I know exactly what you're talking about. My appointments seem to usually be 4 weeks ahead. 2 weeks sounds nice. I got Lyme's disease a few weeks ago, obviously I couldn't wait 2 weeks, but that means I couldn't wait 4 weeks either. So in my experience, delays are already a big part of the healthcare system here. I don't think it says much about theirs.
    I get same-day appointments.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Me thinks we should stop relying on anecdotes to compensate for our lack of knowledge about the statistics .

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    Like sex change operations?
    Yar.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    enfp

I am only for socialized medicine if it there are significant cost savings in terms of administrative, wait times, honest service, etc...

also, only if these government programs are run by very smart people with the public interest in mind. no more retards like people who did FEMA.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

But while we're on anecdotes, let me share this story about a woman and her baby-

TheSpec.com - Local - Parents separated from ill preemie

Parents separated from ill preemie

Joanna Frketich
    The Hamilton Spectator
    (Jun 27, 2009)

A critically ill Hamilton preemie turned away from McMaster Children's Hospital is all alone in a Buffalo intensive care unit because her parents don't have passports to get across the border.

Hamilton's neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) was full when Ava Isabella Stinson was born 14 weeks premature at St. Joseph's Hospital Thursday at 12:24 p.m.

A provincewide search for an open NICU bed came up empty, leaving no choice but to send the two-pound, four-ounce preemie to Buffalo that evening.

Her parents, Natalie Paquette and Richard Stinson, couldn't follow their baby because as of June 1, a passport is required to cross the border into the United States. They're having to approve medical procedures over the phone and are terrified something will happen to their baby before they get there.

"I just want to be with her," said Paquette. "She only knows my heartbeat, my voice and her daddy's voice. It's all I can think about. I feel so helpless."

A second area mom has also been separated from her children since being turned away from McMaster's NICU, which is closed to new admissions about 50 per cent of the time.

Christina Holjevac had to leave her 12-year-old twin boys in Beamsville to follow her daughter, born 13 weeks premature at McMaster May 16, to Ottawa. Hamilton's NICU couldn't take her two-pound, two-ounce preemie named Lauren Catharine Hope Trottier and Ottawa had the closest open bed.

Holjevac has been there six weeks -- getting her own postpartum care at Ottawa emergency rooms -- waiting for her baby to be transferred back to the Hamilton area.

Most of the time she is alone because her husband had to come back home to work to pay the bills. She has only seen her sons once since going to Ottawa.

"I really need them and I know they need me, too," she said, breaking into tears. "It's horrible. I've always been there for them and now I haven't been in weeks. They need their mom."

Dr. Peter Fitzgerald, president of McMaster Children's Hospital, said he's in discussions with the Ministry of Health about getting more beds for the NICU, which is already the largest and most modern in Ontario.

Fitzgerald is hoping to add around five more beds to the 47-bed NICU and another five beds in the Level 2 nursery where babies go once they're well enough to leave intensive care. But he doesn't know when or if it will happen.

"It's tough on the families," he acknowledged. "We will get the babies back to the region as soon as we can."

But that can take anywhere from days to months.

"With the crunch on beds in the province, that may be a challenge," said Dr. David Higgins, chief of staff at St. Joseph's, which also has a Level 2 nursery. "We'll help facilitate the return as soon as possible."

In the meantime, the priority is getting Paquette and Stinson reunited with their baby. The Canadian consulate in Buffalo is providing advice and guidance to the first-time parents. Hamilton Centre MP David Christopherson is working to arrange emergency passports but that will take until at least Monday afternoon. The situation is made more complicated by the fact the baby's dad has a criminal record.

"I'm hoping by early next week mom will have baby in her arms," said Christopherson. "If not, we'll pull out all the stops to make that happen."

St. Joseph's Hospital is also trying to help the parents.

"It's very distressing for the family and our heart goes out to them," said Higgins. "We'll do everything we can at this end."

Right now, it's cold comfort for both families left stranded.

"They've taken her away from me and I can't get that out of my head," Paquette said. "If it was Toronto, I could jump in the truck and go see her. But I don't know anybody with a passport. I just want to see my baby girl."
    To sum it up (as it relates to health care), the woman couldn't find an extra bed for the baby in ALL OF ONTARIO (perhaps all of Canada). Not one bed was available after she had set up it up over 7 months ahead of time. One would have to investigate the ins and outs of the situation, but I surmise it has a little something to do with the inefficiency of socialized health care.

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    I am only for socialized medicine if it there are significant cost savings in terms of administrative, wait times, honest service, etc...

also, only if these government programs are run by very smart people with the public interest in mind. no more retards like people who did FEMA.
    Learn not to rely on so called smart people and to simply be smart yourself, because the smart and enlightened ones have a long historical track record of doing things that are anything but smart and enlightened, but it happens because it is the nature of people to want to exalt leaders who they feel are better than themselves, but the truth is you all have the same basic flaws and you are merely succeeding in giving a select few power and control that you are not willing to take for yourself. I can boil all of societies problems down to basic principles such as this. It's truly amazing.

MBTI
    YaYa

Anyone have any clue how many psychiatric patients have been dumped into the streets of homeless and home many people have died waiting in the emergency room; all because they didn't have the right insurance to prevent such tragedy here in the good ole USA?

MBTI
    intp

I had no idea non-Americans who live outside the U.S. were concerned about health care in the U.S. Educational poll.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    Anyone have any clue how many psychiatric patients have been dumped into the streets of homeless and home many people have died waiting in the emergency room; all because they didn't have the right insurance to prevent such tragedy here in the good ole USA?
    Anyone have any idea how many illegal aliens who don't pay taxes or pay into the health care system clog the emergency rooms in California? Whatever the number is, I'm sure it can't be helping the wait times....

MBTI
    YaYa

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Anyone have any idea how many illegal aliens who don't pay taxes or pay into the health care system clog the emergency rooms in California? Whatever the number is, I'm sure it can't be helping the wait times....
    What do immigration issues have to do with one of the worst medical systems of all industrialized countries? You can't scape goat and say "its all the beaners fault".

Besides if we relaxed immigration law, allowed the illegals to stay here, they would pay taxes and become productive members of society.