User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

While the bill falls short in many ways, it sets goals in increasing energy efficiency, creating renewable sources of energy, and bringing to light the impracticality of carbon-emitting sources of energy in future sustainability of the planet.

And on those shortcomings, let me say that this bill was an entire letdown for the citizens who will pay the price, simply because it reinforces the bowing of the government to big business interests. Consumers will be footing the bill on carbon capping, simply because business will always complain that the government cannot impede on its continually flourishing profit margins, and they have the power to block any political efforts otherwise.

The reason that other developed countries are able to control their energy costs for citizens is because they regulate energy businesses, whether through subsidies that are actually available because of government budget allocation, or setting regulatory rules. In this circumstance, the US government thinks that it's a good idea to allow business to run as usual, but that the environmental cleanup overhead should be placed on the consumer's tab.

While I agree with Republican leaders that this is essentially a "tax", taxes would assume that money is being taken by citizens in the interest of working for the citizens. In this case, big business is taxing its consumers through government regulation, out of a need for environmental regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck
    As for the rest, to what extent does the military budget (a public good that is limited in its domestic impact) hinder economic growth or (far more importantly) affect the daily lives of ordinary citizens, either through direct regulation or indirectely by simply increasing the power and reach of the federal government?
    Personally I think that if I was an ordinary citizen, I'd want that 12% of my paycheck to go towards something else besides directly into military spending. Hey, maybe it could pay for my electricity bill... or better yet, we could maybe create renewable sources of energy so that our failing infrastructure of coal-based electricity doesn't get so damn pricey all of a sudden, thanks to my idiot congress.

And of course the military doesn't hinder economic growth... well, depending on your measurement system. Top companies like Boeing love wars! And isn't the performance of top ranking industries the only measure of economic success?

Quote Originally Posted by Risen
    Which again are based on CBO estimates which have been projected, as in the OP, to be an extremely minimized outlook of the cost to the average household over the coming years for reasons outlined in the OP, so read again sleepy head.

Anyway, we're done.
    Yes, except for that prediction that the "lower-income families" will be hit hardest. Perhaps you need a better look yourself.

I understand that, as a fellow human, you have a disdain for me, but could you please respond to at least the points I make? I believe that ideas created by people are separate from them and thus could possibly be less loathsome than you might think.

I mean, I understand that you want to control the perspective of this event as much as possible, hence your constant interruption of any discussion, but you could at least pretend to carry out a discussion.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post
    Personally I think that if I was an ordinary citizen, I'd want that 12% of my paycheck to go towards something else besides directly into military spending. Hey, maybe it could pay for my electricity bill... or better yet, we could maybe create renewable sources of energy so that our failing infrastructure of coal-based electricity doesn't get so damn pricey all of a sudden, thanks to my idiot congress.

And of course the military doesn't hinder economic growth... well, depending on your measurement system. Top companies like Boeing love wars! And isn't the performance of top ranking industries the only measure of economic success?
    I would prefer that my paycheck go towards something that does not empower the government to control the minute aspects of my daily life.

If coal-based electricity becomes too pricy, then that will provide incentive for companies to commit further research into renewable energy, and may even provoke a premature switch to currently more expensive and less powerful forms of renewable energy...so, um, what are you complaining about, given your previous statements? I think your real concern is that, barring a "green" technological breakthrough that probably won't occur in the near future, coal-based energy will remain more economically competitive than renewable energy for quite a while.

And economic success is measured in terms of long-term economic growth and productive capacity, other measurements are subjective personal preferences (not that valuing "economic success" is an objective standard, merely an eminently practical one that provides individuals ever-increasing means of pursuing all of their subjective wants and preferences).

Finally, while there is plenty of waste (which should be remedied) taking place within the "military-industrial complex", maintaining a strong military is a highly effective means of pursuing war OR peace, depending on the nature of the governments and society in question. Also, while peace is generally preferable, some circumstances make war a better option, though I suppose that's really a thread unto itself.

In any event, how about addressing my cost-benifits analysis concerns, in which I maintain that the policies in question represent economically crippling measures toward only marginal gains at best, and are wasteful and counter-productive at worst?

MBTI
    enfp

renewable energy is based a little more on macro (global) cost benefit analysis, more than micro(firm view) cost benefit analysis.

the richer country you are, the more "big brother" of a type of responsibility you have to the rest of the "little brothers" of the world when it comes to global warming, etc...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    renewable energy is based a little more on macro (global) cost benefit analysis, more than micro(firm view) cost benefit analysis.

the richer country you are, the more "big brother" of a type of responsibility you have to the rest of the "little brothers" of the world when it comes to global warming, etc...
    I'm convinced the second coming of Jesus wont be about saving mankind from its sins or war, the second coming will be the death of, and liberation from, the man made global warming hoax and the ignorance that plagues humanity. I can only pray that Jesus is real.

In other words, we will never do anything that makes sense in this area until people stop believing in sci-political fallacies like global warming that give them justification to do things that make absolutely no sense based on a false view of reality. Because of this, the issue truly is barely worth discussing. Possibly, the only thing that will allow a critical mass of people to come to their senses is more or less a full realization of the global warming policies which will culminate in an eventual degradation of the human condition and widespread dissatisfaction in the majority of the population. At that point the political machinery will be forced to modify its stance on global warming, and a full revelation of the actual science behind it will come leading to a final demise of the man made GW myth.

This, again, assumes that ignorance and the government environmental control agenda will prevail over truth in the near term.