User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who would win world war III or dominate the 21st century?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • India

    2 4.55%
  • China

    13 29.55%
  • United States

    14 31.82%
  • Japan

    0 0%
  • Europe

    1 2.27%
  • Russia

    3 6.82%
  • Some other country (please state and explain why)

    11 25.00%
First 5678 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 74

  1. #61
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Hmm...I doubt we would have a WWIII. Terrorism, little fights here and there, some tests here, some plots there, and probably a lot going on behind the scenes with intelligence agencies, but a full-scale world war?

    I don't think anyone would survive that because even IF you managed to survive the immediate war, you'd never survive the after-effects, many of which may make themselves apparent years or decades afterwards.

    Now, if you ask me which country will become the most powerful in the next few decades, that's something else, and I'm going to go with either Russia, China, or India in conjunction with alliances with Europe and the United States, where all major actors are relatively powerful but no one supremely.

    And I think the power of the USA will decrease substantially within the next few decades, where it will be a world power equivalent to the EU at best and a solitary EU country at worst (Great Britain, France or Germany).
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  2. #62
    Senior Member Argus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    658

    Default

    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

  3. #63
    That chalkboard guy Matthew_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    xxxx
    Posts
    1,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Argus2968 View Post
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

  4. #64
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Argus2968 View Post
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    I've heard that one before.
    But I will be a smartass and challange the idea.

    If we get destroyed in the WW3 we would still need to rebuild most of technology to make WW4 possible. Since you need advanced means of transportation to make a world war possible.


    However this doesn't mean that I don't get the point of original message.

  5. #65
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    I mean, I don't want to say that I believe in the human race enough to think that they wouldn't be stupid enough to start WWIII that would surely end in biological, chemical and nuclear warfare. I'm just saying that it's highly unlikely that even human beings would be that stupid.

    That being said, in the event that they truly are that stupid, it would result in the end of the human race. And then "the earth can shake us off like a bad case of the fleas."
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  6. #66
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    Sometimes I think the Brits did the wrong thing, stepping down from the outer reaches of their empire. Sometimes I wonder if Ghandi did the right thing.

  7. #67
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Sometimes I think the Brits did the wrong thing, stepping down from the outer reaches of their empire. Sometimes I wonder if Ghandi did the right thing.
    The Brits didn't step down, they were forced to step down.

    The jugular of the British Empire was cut at the Suez Canal by the US.

    All the US had to do was to threaten to ruin the British Pound, and the Brits stepped down from Suez.

    We of course are East of Suez and we loved the British Empire so our Prime Minister Robert Menzies approached the US and asked them not to cut the jugular of the British Empire. But the US hated the British Empire and lusted after its power and wealth, so they insisted on cutting its throat at Suez.

    So the US finally killed the British Empire and took its place.

    But the death blow was most revealing. The US did not need to threaten the British Empire militarily, all they had to do was to threaten it financially.

    And this is no empty threat, as the US is primarily a Mercantile Empire that owns and controls the Reserve Currency of the world.

    And indeed we remember that when our elected government tried to start an independent film industry here, the US stopped us by the simple expedient of threatening to ruin us financially.

    We have been part of three empires, the British Empire, the Japanese Empire and now the US Empire. And we loved the British Empire, we hated the Japanese Empire, and we are ambivalent about the US Empire.

    But the most striking thing about all this is the power of the Reserve Currency - the very basis of the Mercantile Empire.

  8. #68
    Senior Member Valuable_Money's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I mean, I don't want to say that I believe in the human race enough to think that they wouldn't be stupid enough to start WWIII that would surely end in biological, chemical and nuclear warfare. I'm just saying that it's highly unlikely that even human beings would be that stupid.

    That being said, in the event that they truly are that stupid, it would result in the end of the human race. And then "the earth can shake us off like a bad case of the fleas."
    I think in the end ethiopia or some scientists in antartica would end up surviving.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

  9. #69
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The Brits didn't step down, they were forced to step down.

    The jugular of the British Empire was cut at the Suez Canal by the US.

    All the US had to do was to threaten to ruin the British Pound, and the Brits stepped down from Suez.

    We of course are East of Suez and we loved the British Empire so our Prime Minister Robert Menzies approached the US and asked them not to cut the jugular of the British Empire. But the US hated the British Empire and lusted after its power and wealth, so they insisted on cutting its throat at Suez.

    So the US finally killed the British Empire and took its place.

    But the death blow was most revealing. The US did not need to threaten the British Empire militarily, all they had to do was to threaten it financially.

    And this is no empty threat, as the US is primarily a Mercantile Empire that owns and controls the Reserve Currency of the world.

    And indeed we remember that when our elected government tried to start an independent film industry here, the US stopped us by the simple expedient of threatening to ruin us financially.

    We have been part of three empires, the British Empire, the Japanese Empire and now the US Empire. And we loved the British Empire, we hated the Japanese Empire, and we are ambivalent about the US Empire.

    But the most striking thing about all this is the power of the Reserve Currency - the very basis of the Mercantile Empire.
    Maintaining the Empire after the destruction of WWII was completely unsustainable - Metropolitan Britain didn't have enough economic production to spend the kind of money necessary to keep the structures going. Meanwhile, backing the British here just gives the USSR even more ammo in its propaganda that the Western powers were not interested in the Third World, just in exploiting the resources. The lesson was learned in 1952 with the Iranian Coup, which led to the beginning of the Middle Eastern oil cartels that eventually became OPEC and choked the world.

    Of course, we're also ignoring the ties between Nasser and the Soviets - pissing him off would just lead to the Suez being cut off from the West, ending the Cold War unfavorably by 1978 (after the US hit its Hubbert Peak), or would have led to Soviet intervention in the Suez Crisis, possibly leading to nuclear war (people were still convinced a full exchange was winnable at this point; ICBMs were still two years away).

    All Suez did was make the early industrial nations realize that they had been passed by, and could no longer compete on the same level as prior to WWI. It wasn't a giant American conspiracy as much as it was the reality that by all actors taking the least self-destructive actions, the US would inevitably come to hegemony in the West based on its advantages at the time, much as the Soviets would in Eastern Europe.

  10. #70
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    ...the US would inevitably come to hegemony in the West based on its advantages at the time, much as the Soviets would in Eastern Europe.
    And just as Eastern Europe didn't like being bullied by the Soviets, we didn't like being bullied by the US.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2015, 04:36 PM
  2. [Fi] Who would win in a fight an INTP or an INFP?
    By sacklome in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-20-2015, 08:47 AM
  3. Canadian/American War -- Who Would Win?
    By Haphazard in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 11-01-2010, 08:43 PM
  4. A New Biology for the 21st Century
    By ygolo in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-25-2009, 06:38 PM
  5. Who would win? The Crow or Ash from Army of Darkness
    By Clownmaster in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-29-2008, 11:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO