User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Default Would you attend a public execution?

I've finally watched the video of Neda Agha Soltan being killed and I felt like I was seeing something that I shouldn't. It was disturbingly intimate. I remember it was barely 100 years ago that public hangings and executions were something people would go to for entertainment on a Sunday afternoon.

Would you attend a public execution? Why, why not?

Background 1
    Background 2
    Last edited by proteanmix; 06-25-2009 at 10:57 AM.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Phantonym

No I wouldn't. I am the one who has to live with it. I'm against the death penalty. But not only because it is inhumane but because I see the death penalty as an easy way out, not a punishment.

heart on fire

No I wouldn't unless it were compelled on me somehow.

MBTI
    ENTP

I would. Just for the experience. When my grandfather was in Turkey he saw a public hanging.

There was this book once I saw in the art library of my local university. It was photographs of the public execution of a man in China during the reign of the dowager empress. He was arrested for killing some member of the nobility or something. Anyway, they fed him opium and then cut pieces off of him as people just stood around. It was disturbing.

Michel Foucault talks about the destruction of the body as punishment in his book Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison: Discipline and Punish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit:

Interesting is the idea that public executions create sympathy for the condemned. Of course, the best example and originally counter example would be Christ who received sympathy later (to this day in fact) but not supposedly at the time.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

It would have to be a REALLY sinister person, but in theory I suppose so. I wont go to any in which i think the person didnt really deserve to be executed.... like, I'm not even sure Saddam Hussein deserved it TBH, and he's done fucked up shit. thats how reserved i am about the whole execution thing.

MBTI
    ENTP

The idea behind redemption is that no man deserves to die. That we must forgive even the worst of the worst. However, some people, in practice, probably get enough chances and could be killed without issue.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    infp

No I wouldn't, I couldn't stand in a crowd of people getting off on someone else's death.

That's not saying that I am against the death penalty (I'm on the fence), just that it's not a fun day out to go and watch someone's life being stripped away from them.

It sickens me to read about how much people used to relish the weekly executions, mobs are ugly things.

The only way I'd go, is if it was my execution and then I'd be kicking and fighting the whole way through.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

It depends. I would not attend someone's execution just for the hell of it. But if some bastid killed my family, I'm watching that sucker go down!!!!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    No I wouldn't, I couldn't stand in a crowd of people getting off on someone else's death.

That's not saying that I am against the death penalty (I'm on the fence), just that it's not a fun day out to go and watch someone's life being stripped away from them.

It sickens me to read about how much people used to relish the weekly executions, mobs are ugly things.

The only way I'd go, is if it was my execution and then I'd be kicking and fighting the whole way through.
    +1
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Dali

^ +1

Mob hysteria is a disgusting human trait.

As for executions whereby family members of the murdered victim are allowed to witness the murderer being 'offed', I'm not certain what void would be filled or how it would be satisfying for one to watch the life ebb out of another human being regardless of what crimes they committed.