User Tag List

First 5678 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 75

  1. #61
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Well, I think there is a reason why they end public exevutions. It is because it promotes violence. Every human being has a sadistic streak inside them, and it comes out in the form of excitement when someone gets killed or wounded. This is the reason I am against holding public executions. the more people are watching, the more sadistic the excutioners will hold the execution to put on a show.

    But then again, I kind of see both sides of the issue...
    It would be interesting to see how crime rates differ in nations with public executions vs. secret executions.

    Also, your avatar looks like it's moving. Weird.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  2. #62
    Perfect Gentleman! =D d@v3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    2,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Right. This is why if you support the death penalty you need to be prepared to pull the lever or do the killing yourself. This is price of Justice, if that is your precept.
    I agree, but I wouldn't WANT to pull the lever myself unless I truly believed the person deserved it. But I wouldn't have any trouble doing it I don't think, as long as it was a majority vote from the great good. ....But that's just me.

    Public executions are not ALL about revenge, they are about "power". The state has the power to take the criminals life should they do wrong or appear to be a threat to the public (the greater good). So, the public executions are used more as a discouragement to anyone thinking about committing a crime.
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  3. #63
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d@v3 View Post
    I agree, but I wouldn't WANT to pull the lever myself unless I truly believed the person deserved it. But I wouldn't have any trouble doing it I don't think, as long as it was a majority vote from the great good. ....But that's just me.

    Public executions are not ALL about revenge, they are about "power". The state has the power to take the criminals life should they do wrong or appear to be a threat to the public (the greater good). So, the public executions are used more as a discouragement to anyone thinking about committing a crime.
    Only if you are used to getting caught ma man

  4. #64
    Senior Member JivinJeffJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Yeah, I guess this is what Jennifer was getting at. People cover their eyes and if you can't handle it why have someone do your dirty work for you? When you're watching a scary movie, you know it's going to end after two or so hours, it's pretend. When life gets raw, uncut, and uncensored those are the moments that people need to watch and play close attention. The times that try men's souls and all.
    You say that, yet you also say that you only want to attend public executions carried out using "palatable" means. Surely by your reasoning here the uglier the death the more obliged you are to witness it?

    Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Yes, because people die. You might as well accept this fact. If they aren't killed in the gullotine, they might as well die by some other causes.
    What kind of reasoning is this? Should we also allow people freedom to murder with impunity, on the basis that those they killed were going to die anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    If you don't attend and boycott it , taht doesn't refrain the executioner from keep doing this,.
    I think the more people who attend an execution the less personal responsibility the principals involved feel. And they should feel personal responsibility because ultimately nobody is forcing them to eg flick the switch or pull the lever. imo the executioner should have to do the execution alone, looking into the face of the condemned. I don't really know if it would work, but it seems to me that the principle is acknowledged by the practice of diffusing the act of the execution over as many different people as possible.

    Talk about them just doing both their jobs and our dirty work for us is the same talk rejected from Auschwitz guards.

  5. #65
    Alexander the Terrible yenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    Also, your avatar looks like it's moving. Weird.
    que?
    Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    You say that, yet you also say that you only want to attend public executions carried out using "palatable" means. Surely by your reasoning here the uglier the death the more obliged you are to witness it?



    What kind of reasoning is this? Should we also allow people freedom to murder with impunity, on the basis that those they killed were going to die anyway?



    I think the more people who attend an execution the less personal responsibility the principals involved feel. And they should feel personal responsibility because ultimately nobody is forcing them to eg flick the switch or pull the lever. imo the executioner should have to do the execution alone, looking into the face of the condemned. I don't really know if it would work, but it seems to me that the principle is acknowledged by the practice of diffusing the act of the execution over as many different people as possible.

    Talk about them just doing both their jobs and our dirty work for us is the same talk rejected from Auschwitz guards.
    What responsibility? When you kill someone you have to take responsibility for his life.

    If it involved skinning people alive or getting crucified, i would go still watch it. But only to protest against it. I don't see how not watching it can stop it from happening?
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

    "In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

    Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

  6. #66
    Senior Member JivinJeffJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    If it involved skinning people alive or getting crucified, i would go still watch it. But only to protest against it. I don't see how not watching it can stop it from happening?
    1. How would you protest against it? Not simply by standing there and looking grim, I hope?
    2. I'm not saying not watching it will stop it from happening (in the short-term, at least), I'm saying that I think attending it (even as a protestor) would make it psychologically easier for the executioner to do what he's being paid to do. And if you don't support the death penalty, that's not a desirable outcome.

  7. #67
    full of love Kingfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    i would watch, for the experience.
    and i think people shy away from death too much. i would be most interested to watch a physically traumatic death.

    by the way, i somtimes wonder how many people have seen someone die? have actually witnessed death.
    i have seen seveal people die, in violent and non-violent ways. i feel like it something that is important to see.

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    There was this book once I saw in the art library of my local university. It was photographs of the public execution of a man in China during the reign of the dowager empress. He was arrested for killing some member of the nobility or something. Anyway, they fed him opium and then cut pieces off of him as people just stood around. It was disturbing.
    i have seen similar pictures and video. it still happens in some places, somebody is dismembered while alive.
    it is especially strange because at some point it seems as if you are no longer looking at a person, because they have been distorted so much.

    Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I'm saying that I think attending it (even as a protestor) would make it psychologically easier for the executioner to do what he's being paid to do.
    i think if the executioner can justify killing someone based on how other people respond, then the executioner already has some pretty severe psychological problems.
    ultimately, i think killing someone is something that a person (executioner or otherwise) is going to come to grips with (or not) on their own.

  8. #68
    Temporal Mechanic. Lexicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,742

    Default

    I don't think I could.
    Very thought-provoking topic..
    I'll have to let this resonate some more.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!



    04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

    02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

    03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

  9. #69
    Senior Member FC3S's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    666
    Socionics
    777
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Nope.
    ESTP - Definition: "Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target a 120 km away, with an aratech sniper rifle and tri-light scope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  10. #70
    Senior Member Anonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Yes, but not so much for the execution as to be a part of - and watch - the crowd and their reactions. Of course, if it's only a few people, no, I wouldn't.

Similar Threads

  1. What fictional university would you like to have attended?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-19-2016, 04:34 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Ethical Question: Under what conditions would you kill someone?
    By Crabapple in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-30-2007, 09:54 PM
  3. Would you eat laboratory grown meat?
    By sdalek in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 01:46 PM
  4. What kind of essays would you prefer to write?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-16-2007, 03:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO