User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ

Sure, why not? As long as I believed the person deserved it. I mean, I wouldn't just go for the sake of going, but I wouldn't try to get out of going to one either if someone asked me to. I guess I just don't care. Sadaam's execution was certainly interesting to watch, but it would have been more interesting in person.
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

The manner of execution is not important, because execution isn't about Justice. Its about Revenge. Society is made by the people who live inside it, and they have the natural desire to "punish" those who "wrong" them. The death penalty, public executions, and such things are designed to satisfy the public's lust for blood and vengeance.

After all, Executions used to be public entertainment. In some European (and North American) cities and communities, one would take the kids to see a criminal get killed by the State. Good family fun, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I've finally watched the video of Neda Agha Soltan being killed and I felt like I was seeing something that I shouldn't. It was disturbingly intimate. I remember it was barely 100 years ago that public hangings and executions were something people would go to for entertainment on a Sunday afternoon.

Would you attend a public execution? Why, why not?

Background 1
    Background 2
    If, by some horrific turn of fate, it was someone I cared for... absolutely.

However, I would not attend the execution of a perfect stranger. I will not contribute to death as a 'spectator sport.' I know that bearing witness to something important has the capability to make us (as individuals) something greater because it produces a finer understanding, but it can also make us lesser for the same reason.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    If, by some horrific turn of fate, it was someone I cared for... absolutely.

However, I would not attend the execution of a perfect stranger. I will not contribute to death as a 'spectator sport.' I know that bearing witness to something important has the capability to make us (as individuals) something greater because it produces a finer understanding, but it can also make us lesser for the same reason.
    If we do have death penalties, then people should be forced to witness. Otherwise, they are not faced with the brutality.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    If we do have death penalties, then people should be forced to witness. Otherwise, they are not faced with the brutality.
    Yeah, I guess this is what Jennifer was getting at. People cover their eyes and if you can't handle it why have someone do your dirty work for you? When you're watching a scary movie, you know it's going to end after two or so hours, it's pretend. When life gets raw, uncut, and uncensored those are the moments that people need to watch and play close attention. The times that try men's souls and all.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Yeah, I guess this is what Jennifer was getting at. People cover their eyes and if you can't handle it why have someone do your dirty work for you? When you're watching a scary movie, you know it's going to end after two or so hours, it's pretend. When life gets raw, uncut, and uncensored those are the moments that people need to watch and play close attention. The times that try men's souls and all.
    Right. This is why if you support the death penalty you need to be prepared to pull the lever or do the killing yourself. This is price of Justice, if that is your precept.

I am undecided on the death penalty. I also think context is relevant and the wishes of the condemned are to be at least considered.

If you were condemned, what would you want? To be seen? To be not seen? By whom?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Yes, because people die. You might as well accept this fact. If they aren't killed in the gullotine, they might as well die by some other causes.

If you don't attend and boycott it , taht doesn't refrain the executioner from keep doing this,.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I am undecided on the death penalty. I also think context is relevant and the wishes of the condemned are to be at least considered.

If you were condemned, what would you want? To be seen? To be not seen? By whom?
    I would want to be seen by the whole world in my death. I would atone publicly and be an example of regret.

I have always admired those who marched to the gallows and confessed to their crimes, asking for forgiveness for the wrongs they committed against others. In a way, we are all under an equally firm death sentence. So this is a powerful example of how to live life under the shadow of death.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Right. This is why if you support the death penalty you need to be prepared to pull the lever or do the killing yourself. This is price of Justice, if that is your precept.
    Agreed.