873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Nope.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I would, if just for the experience. The circumstances would essential in deciding if I go or not, since I approve of the death penalty in certain cases. If the soon to be executed were violent criminals of some stripe( Rape, Homicide, etc) then maybe.

However, living Canada excludes me from every having the possibility. Unless I start vacationing in The Persian gulf states.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

No.

Seems a contrary routine; willfully taking life as a strategy to punish/prevent recidivism for crimes that likely included volitional killing. Even more bizarre is the expectation of closure some associate with the execution itself; it's somewhat rare for it to serve as a definitive milestone in the healing process.

Using inhumanity to punish inhumanity is grotesque.

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I've finally watched the video of Neda Agha Soltan being killed and I felt like I was seeing something that I shouldn't. It was disturbingly intimate.
    Like you, I found the footage to be extremely graphic. It's obviously offered under a different premise than what's commonly associated with the notion of 'legal' execution. Neda's death has been commemorated instead as a social symbol (for whom, I'm not yet certain...) underscoring the apparent severity in human rights violation Iran is willing to pursue, if to maintain order.

Although offered under contrasting terms, the horror one is likely to feel in response to Neda's passing shouldn't be altogether that different from the recoil one ought to encounter at the notion of state execution.

MBTI
    YaYa

If LOST wasn't on, yeah probably.

Enneagram
    1w2

Just to note, most of the Ts are saying yes. I would go depending on these factors:
    1. The manner in which the person is executed (hanging vs. firing squad vs. lethal injection vs. electrocution)
    2. The magnitude of crime the person is being executed for (any of the 9/11 Hijackers? A serial killer who violently molested and killed children?)

The Agha-Soltan video disturbed me because I was watching the violent death of an innocent, but my morbid curiosity got the better of me. I'm not sure if it's always a mob mentality that drives people. Mob mentality is a negative denotation of group psychology. Mob mentality can also be classified as "protests" "marches" "revolution" and "riots" which depending on which side you're on is good or bad. You know, freedom fighter vs. terrorist.

I remember this tagline for a video game that came out a few years ago that said "Civilization is only skin deep." In war torn parts of the world I'm sure people become quite inured by necessity of the violence that goes on around them. The ability not to see or watch is a privileged one. The choice to cocoon yourself against such harsh realities is sometimes not an option, but I suppose if most people didn't have to see they wouldn't. I wonder why that is? Actually I know why that is but it's something to think about. On one level, I think I'd rather see this. Maybe we need things that sear our hearts and minds...out of sight, out of mind. Most people don't choose to purposely inflict psychological trauma on themselves, the idea of a utopia where there's no pain or sadness is what most of us want.

I know people joke about hell being where all the fun is, but when you see hell on earth you instinctively want to turn away. That's not the type of fun you signed up for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    (1) it's lame to have a society where we let government do things that we personally might not approve of and even hide from because they unsettle us.
    This happens all the time, doesn't it? I remember you posted a quote from A Few Good Men a while ago about needing someone to be on that wall. On a certain level The Government is sanctioned as that entity to push the button. Someone's got to take out the garbage. Waste is a natural by product of any living organism.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    (3) I also have this weird thing about how awful it is to die (emotionally) alone or surrounded by people who hate you. Even if I despise what the person had done, they're still human. I think Saddam did awful awful things but I didn't really like seeing how things were handled in his execution... although then again, he treated others the same way.
    I'm not particularly good at turning the other cheek and taking the high road so this wouldn't be an issue for me.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INFP

I would go depending on these factors:
    [LIST=1][*]The manner in which the person is executed (hanging vs. firing squad vs. lethal injection vs. electrocution)
    Why would that make a difference?

I'm not sure if it's always a mob mentality that drives people. Mob mentality is a negative denotation of group psychology. Mob mentality can also be classified as "protests" "marches" "revolution" and "riots" which depending on which side you're on is good or bad. You know, freedom fighter vs. terrorist.
    The disturbing thing I think about mob mentality is heightened power with decreased (perceived) personal responsibility. Which is a pretty frightening combination, especially when accompanied by relative anonymity.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Why would that make a difference?
    I don't want to see someone fry or get their brains blown out but lethal injection is more palatable because it seems more, uh, peaceful. Hanging I'm neutral about.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

To those who are open to attendance: does the manner in which the execution is carried out influence your stance?

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I would not attend. Public execution mnakes a mockery of the person's death. I don't care what they have done. I believe everyone deserves some dignity, not because of the details of their crime, but because they exist. This code is not mutable by circumstances. This does not mean that some do not deserve death, but to make it public is to make it a spectacle, and that has nothing to do with justice.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Look, at the risk of sounding like the most unfeeling F on this forum, I think it is hard to say that we would never attend that. Most of us are coming from a position where there would be no reason to do something like that.

However, I cannot honestly say that if this person killed my family or molested and killed my children that I would definitely NOT attend. As someone mentioned (I think it was Athenian) I would want to be sure, and I would not believe it until I had seen it with my own eyes. Even if it did not give me a sense of peace, it would give me a sense of closure or at least security.

That being said, I have not been in that position one way or the other, so I might actually feel differently if I were in the situation.

But if you are asking me if I'd be one of the mob just to go in there and cheer the executioners on like watching - well, I don't know what - a horror movie, no.

Although I do have a relatively weird morbid curiosity....I do not think it would extend to something real like that.

I really honestly don't know. But I think under some circumstances, I would definitely HAVE to watch...but it would probably give me nightmares for years on end...
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.