Thread: North Korea

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default North Korea

NKorea threatens US; world anticipates missile - Yahoo! News

"The ship, accused of transporting banned goods in the past, is believed bound for Myanmar, according to South Korean and U.S. officials.

The new U.N. Security Council resolution requires member states to seek permission to inspect suspicious cargo. North Korea has said it would consider interception a declaration of war and on Wednesday accused the U.S. of seeking to provoke another Korean War.

"If the U.S. imperialists start another war, the army and people of Korea will ... wipe out the aggressors on the globe once and for all," the official Korean Central News Agency said.

The warning came on the eve of the 59th anniversary of the start of the three-year Korean War"

My guess is that the ship has nothing on it and is being used as a 'lure' to justify openly declaring a war. They know that the UN will be required to inspect the ship, which they probably deliberately and specifically chose because it has been watched and suspected before.

If the UN forces an inspection and nothing is found it will bear a pitiful resemblance to the hunt for WMD in Iraq.

Threatening to 'wipe a country off the map' is serious. Why would they make such a statement if they didn't believe they could back it up and have allies who would join them in their endeavor?
    Embrace the possibilities.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I'm not very worried. It's very plausible that their whole weapons program is basically a bargaining chip they want to use to leverage better relations with the US and other nations if they agree to drop it. Negotiations haven't gone well and are slow, but that is ultimately what all sides might be trying to work towards. They're collapsing slowly and I don't think they have any real interest in attacking anyone, because they'd be wiped out minutes later.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post
    Threatening to 'wipe a country off the map' is serious. Why would they make such a statement if they didn't believe they could back it up and have allies who would join them in their endeavor?
    Like ajblaise said, they use it as a way to bargain and have been doing it for years though they are using stronger rhetoric. So far as I know NK does not have ICBM capabilities and the last missile test pooped out between them and Japan. Also, their media is a lot like the propaganda coming out of Pravda back in the Soviet days, that is, it is directed internally to their own people.

The US media loves this crap though because they can sensationalize the threat, it also has the added bonus of directing attention away from our degrading economic conditions.

MBTI
    YaYa

I don't think it is a setup. I think Burma has a lot of oil. So they do have some natural resources/wealth to pay for weapons. And not many people want to play ball with N Korea.

They don't really need an excuse though. They had the balls to test their Nukes.

Its one big poker game with N Korea trying to bluff.

Curious to see what happens when Kim Jong and Castro step down though.

MBTI
    INTP

I would imagine they are developing ICBM's (intercontinental ballistic missiles) but aren't anywhere near succeeding if their last test was any indication. It is well known that if you want to play ball with the US behemoth, you'd better have nukes as a deterrent or you get squashed. Iran is probably developing them for this very reason, though there is no evidence of weaponized nuclear development.

On the other hand, you could be right since NK is totalitarian and Kim Jong may be nuts, but knowing about Kissenger's "mad-man" strategy (which he used) in international relations I remain suspicious.

NK might be able to smuggle a nuke in the US and hit us that way. I guess we'll have to see how things play out.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post
    You're crazy or you're an amateur. Look at how Germany acted leading up to World War 1. Sometimes histrionic incompetents get control of a country.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I wouldn't be overly worried. The North Korean government is prone to such overtures and gestures on the international stage.

If they ever conduct some successful missile tests, it warrants greater attention.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    Like ajblaise said, they use it as a way to bargain and have been doing it for years though they are using stronger rhetoric. So far as I know NK does not have ICBM capabilities and the last missile test pooped out between them and Japan...
    Wouldn't it be a bitch if NK deliberately built a "dud" missile to fake their incompetence,... There is such a thing called crazy smart!
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

... and what would faking incompetence get you? illicited pity?

I'm not really worried about this - we have AEGIS cruisers in the sea of japan 24/7 365 thanks to our sailor boys in blue. The only viable target NK could hit would be SK, and that's retarded since Koreans have one Unified mindset anyways. And the possibility of them "sneaking" a bomb ANYWHERE PERIOD is slim, because no one wants to work with the North Korean government or any of their constituents - they are so shit listed internationally it isn't even funny, its just sad. They cant do a thing.

NK is just a "buffer state" between China and South korea, anyways. They are a grey land of nothingness between former-Communist China and Democratic South korea, which respresents western interests. If Kim Jon Il has any real power, then its only because he is a puppet for China and is used as an insulating fiberglass between China and "the West".

This is not newsworthy to me, the humblest of INTPs. *hmph*

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

I say, pay someone like Britain to SAS raid NK, because they couldn't hit Britain. If they launch an attack, then the US will bust their balls, and make North Korea the 51'st state.