User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Power Abuse

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post

Geoff, I've heard something like this, too. This is why it seems so strange to me that we release 18 year olds into the world and expect them to fend for themselves. We have to look out for each other.
    It can be quite funny that we "older" adults think we are influencing 21 or 22 year olds, say. I will work with them, and a year or so later think to myself : they've improved working with me.. a more adult viewpoint, making better decisions. Probably not : they just finished physically growing.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    It can be quite funny that we "older" adults think we are influencing 21 or 22 year olds, say. I will work with them, and a year or so later think to myself : they've improved working with me.. a more adult viewpoint, making better decisions. Probably not : they just finished physically growing.
    You can't make someone change or grow. This is hard to learn. You can only plant seeds and present a positive example and support them with acceptance and understanding as their leaves uncurl.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INXP

Right, that's why I said "influencing"

MBTI
    INTP

The boys herein haranguing about the "authorities" probably range from 18-25. I know for a fact that Son of the Damned is in that range. It's a phase men go through, I suspect. I went through it myself. It's probably related to the transition from childhood submission to authority to rebellion and then to identification.
    It depends on the use of authority in question, some of which is legitimate. For example if a baby is crawling towards an electric outlet with a metal fork and I aggressively grab the fork to prevent him from potential electrocution, it would be difficult for people to accept my action as an illegitimate exercise of authority, or abuse of power.

Resistance to the abuse of power is a human universal, and people who don't resist that abuse are just as socially stunted as the one who rejects all authority regardless of merit (sociopath). Think of religious or political fundamentalists who see their leaders from a child-like perspective where everything the leader does or says is self-justified holy writ.

I don't know if the other posts in this thread critical of authority meant it in objective way or not, but that was certainly my intention.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    Resistance to the abuse of power is a human universal, and people who don't resist that abuse are just as socially stunted as the one who rejects all authority regardless of merit (sociopath). Think of religious or political fundamentalists who see their leaders from a child-like perspective where everything the leader does or says is self-justified holy writ.
    Sure. The resistance to the abuse of power is universal. However, some people will resist any submission to authority as it necessarily infringes on their perceived "freedoms". Also, I think your view is colored a bit with a negative view toward authority. Most authorities are certainly not cult-like in their demand of obedience. It's generally stuff like obeying traffic laws, etc. Things that make the world generally livable.

I don't know if the other posts in this thread critical of authority meant it in objective way or not, but that was certainly my intention.
    Well said.

MBTI
    YaYa

Are you saying that all arrests of prostitutes involve an overwhelming application of force? If not, why do you find this amusing?

I think the shame you see is a projection.
    Now who is projecting?

I am talking about the guardians of our society teaming up in numbers to take down, arrest, and jail mostly physically weaker females who are performing a completely victimless crime.

The whole concept is absolutely absurd and useless. Tax payer money well spent.

MBTI
    INTP

Sure. The resistance to the abuse of power is universal. However, some people will resist any submission to authority as it necessarily infringes on their perceived "freedoms". Also, I think your view is colored a bit with a negative view toward authority. Most authorities are certainly not cult-like in their demand of obedience. It's generally stuff like obeying traffic laws, etc. Things that make the world generally livable.

Well said.
    I agree with your criticism of blanket rejection of all authority regardless of merit. I certainly don't hate authority but I do hate the abuse of it.

Not sure of the origins of psychopathic behavior. I know Robert Hare is one of the leading researchers of it, but have not gotten around to dive in. Does anyone know if there is a genetic component to psychopathy, or if it is linked to some kind of brain trauma?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    Now who is projecting?

I am talking about the guardians of our society teaming up in numbers to take down, arrest, and jail mostly physically weaker females who are performing a completely victimless crime.

The whole concept is absolutely absurd and useless. Tax payer money well spent.
    1. Many times it takes several people to subdue one person. Even if this person is physically weaker. Highly motivated people are often stronger than someone who lacks their motivation to say, escape. Or, consider the strength that comes with intense emotional states. Also, you can be weaker and still claw someone's eyes out or bite them.

2. Prostitution is not a victimless crime. Would you like your mother or sister or daughter to peddle ass? Would you like your father to have sex with a prostitute and infect your mother?

MBTI
    INTP

There is a national non-profit organization of police officers by the way, that advocates the legalization of marijuana and maybe other drugs as well. I don't remember the name of it though.

I'll post it if I can remember the name.

MBTI
    YaYa

1. Many times it takes several people to subdue one person. Even if this person is physically weaker. Highly motivated people are often stronger than someone who lacks their motivation to say, escape. Or, consider the strength that comes with intense emotional states. Also, you can be weaker and still claw someone's eyes out or bite them.

2. Prostitution is not a victimless crime. Would you like your mother or sister or daughter to peddle ass? Would you like your father to have sex with a prostitute and infect your mother?
    You're just messing with me right?

Edit:

Maybe I am misinterpreting........is English your first language?