User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Power Abuse

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass View Post
    Assuming it's able to identify and acknowledge the existence of the complexity in the first place. I'll wager, for many, it never really reaches a clear, cognitive level..and feels more like a vague, emotional storm. Thus, broad authority angst.
    This is the problem with intellectualizing things externally rather than looking into the root of your own feelings. Only self-examination and self-skepticism can make these associations that reveal the patterns of thought.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I've noticed that those who hate the police the most are usually petty criminals.

And I am just as surprised at the virulence of their hatred as its impotence.
    Crime and punishment are one. The criminal feels punished and this encourages his criminality. He demands punishment from the world around him because he cannot absorb the Law; he cannot identify himself as a giver or upholder of the Law as this would mean taking his place in Society. Being responsible for something outside himself.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    What is funny are the cop shows where there is like 3 cops in a sting to bust one hooker.

Or

DEA agents getting all geared up with guns and shit and anti-climatically pulling some plants out of the ground.

I swear I see a twinkle of shame in their eye in those instances.
    Are you saying that all arrests of prostitutes involve an overwhelming application of force? If not, why do you find this amusing?

I think the shame you see is a projection.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    Cops hate puppets? If I would've known that, I would've never gotten rid of my cookie monster puppet from age 5.
    Here is that adolescent use of language. The absurdity of the idea of "cops" or authorities punishing people for being children, aka using puppets.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    The boys herein haranguing about the "authorities" probably range from 18-25. I know for a fact that Son of the Damned is in that range. It's a phase men go through, I suspect. I went through it myself. It's probably related to the transition from childhood submission to authority to rebellion and then to identification.
    Seems quite likely.. brain grows until age 25 (typically) after which we make "adult" decisions.. before then we are still growing (literally) into our personalities.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

This is the problem with intellectualizing things externally rather than looking into the root of your own feelings. Only self-examination and self-skepticism can make these associations that reveal the patterns of thought.
    And if one's whole life has been a dance of avoiding punishment, I'm not sure it's highly likely that a lot of self-examination has been developed. If you're constantly controlled by someone else, it's tough to develop the ability to be a skeptic or critic of self. Fear of punishment isn't a great motivator for examining one's own thought process..you're just trying to stay ahead of The Man, whomever your "Man" is. True, true.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Seems quite likely.. brain grows until age 25 (typically) after which we make "adult" decisions.. before then we are still growing (literally) into our personalities.
    I am curious how an adolescent person might interpret these interpretations. I presume they may not "see" until they are emotionally ready?

And if one's whole life has been a dance of avoiding punishment, I'm not sure it's highly likely that a lot of self-examination has been developed. If you're constantly controlled by someone else, it's tough to develop the ability to be a skeptic or critic of self. True, true.
    I can imagine that if you were subject to recrimination or emotional violence from others it might build up your defenses to such a degree that you could not pierce your own armor.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

I can imagine that if you were subject to recrimination or emotional violence from others it might build up your defenses to such a degree that you could not pierce your own armor.
    That's a really beautiful way to put that, if you'll pardon the emotional gushing. I agree.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    INXP

I am curious how an adolescent person might interpret these interpretations. I presume they may not "see" until they are emotionally ready?

Apparently the bit of the brain that still grows (typically) is the part that makes the "big" social decisions. So... an adolescent may pick the wrong fight, date the wrong partner etc. It's simply because they literally are unable to make a fully grown up decision.

The insurance companies have it right : age 25 is quite important for car rental.

MBTI
    ENTP

That's a really beautiful way to put that, if you'll pardon the emotional gushing. I agree.
    Well, thankee.

Stepping back a bit, what options do we have when we encounter abuse? To push back against it, to somehow end it, to ignore it, to endure it, or to let it soak into you, to become a victim. What else is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Apparently the bit of the brain that still grows (typically) is the part that makes the "big" social decisions. So... an adolescent may pick the wrong fight, date the wrong partner etc. It's simply because they literally are unable to make a fully grown up decision.

The insurance companies have it right : age 25 is quite important for car rental.
    Geoff, I've heard something like this, too. This is why it seems so strange to me that we release 18 year olds into the world and expect them to fend for themselves. We have to look out for each other.