User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Power Abuse

MBTI
    INTP

Everyone knows it's The Woman who runs things.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

But the Hill Dawg lost?
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    YaYa

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    David Graeber, an anthropologist and anarchist wrote an interesting essay called On the Phenomenology of Giant Puppets. It was mainly about how protestors use paper mache puppets to mess with police and why police hate the puppets, but he mentioned some interesting points about how policing is about avoiding the rules of engagement and such. Graeber was "denied further tenure" at Yale despite his renowned work in anthropology which he suspects was a result of his political activism and refusal to cower in Yale's bureaucracy. There can be harsh consequences to challenging illegitimate authority.

Cops hate puppets? If I would've known that, I would've never gotten rid of my cookie monster puppet from age 5.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Vice cops and The DEA stand as the worst for me. The DEA busts into houses in the middle of the night, to take "drug offenders" into custody. Or when they bust the wrong house, and then plant "evidence" to cover up their mistakes.

And Vice cops are just pricks in general.

MBTI
    YaYa

Quote Originally Posted by Son of the Damned View Post
    Vice cops and The DEA stand as the worst for me. The DEA busts into houses in the middle of the night, to take "drug offenders" into custody. Or when they bust the wrong house, and then plant "evidence" to cover up their mistakes.

And Vice cops are just pricks in general.

What is funny are the cop shows where there is like 3 cops in a sting to bust one hooker.

Or

DEA agents getting all geared up with guns and shit and anti-climatically pulling some plants out of the ground.

I swear I see a twinkle of shame in their eye in those instances.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    One classic example I can use are the Police. They sit, they hide, they lurk here and there and wait until someone steps out of line to penalize them. I hate it when I see cops on the streets questioning people, even if they were doing something wrong. I hate it when cops hide behind the bushes on the High-Way because they have nothing better to do but drink coffee, play solitaire on their dashboard computers, and anxiously wait until they have the opportunity to assert their authority.
    I've noticed that those who hate the police the most are usually petty criminals.

And I am just as surprised at the virulence of their hatred as its impotence.

MBTI
    ENTP

The boys herein haranguing about the "authorities" probably range from 18-25. I know for a fact that Son of the Damned is in that range. It's a phase men go through, I suspect. I went through it myself. It's probably related to the transition from childhood submission to authority to rebellion and then to identification.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    The boys herein haranguing about the "authorities" probably range from 18-25. I know for a fact that Son of the Damned is in that range. It's a phase men go through, I suspect. I went through it myself. It's probably related to the transition from childhood submission to authority to rebellion and then to identification.
    Which makes me wonder if it's because of abuse of parental authority that causes the delayed adolescent effect. The parent sets themselves up as god, controls through fear, and the child never gets a chance to try out their own wings.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass View Post
    Which makes me wonder if it's because of abuse of parental authority that causes the delayed adolescent effect. The parent sets themselves up as god, controls through fear, and the child never gets a chance to try out their own wings.
    Precisely. I don't know that it's that parents set themselves up as God, but they definitely control the child and abuse their position of authority, which in turn makes all authority suspect. I would not be surprised if the men herein also identify themselves as "atheists" as God is the ultimate authority figure, the ultimate Father.

Also, this would, as you say, delay adulthood as adulthood would be seen as a destination of betrayal against the vulnerability of the child, which must be rejected or identified with. Identification is resisted as it introduces "cognitive dissonance", as Victor might say. The human mind tends to reject complexity.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

The human mind tends to reject complexity.
    Assuming it's able to identify and acknowledge the existence of the complexity in the first place. I'll wager, for many, it never really reaches a clear, cognitive level..and feels more like a vague, emotional storm. Thus, broad authority angst.
    I think I think more than you think I think.