User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 51

Thread: Power Abuse

  1. #11
    The Architect Alwar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Everyone knows it's The Woman who runs things.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Nonsensical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    4,010

    Default

    But the Hill Dawg lost?
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

  3. #13
    Senior Member avolkiteshvara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    YaYa
    Posts
    895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    David Graeber, an anthropologist and anarchist wrote an interesting essay called On the Phenomenology of Giant Puppets. It was mainly about how protestors use paper mache puppets to mess with police and why police hate the puppets, but he mentioned some interesting points about how policing is about avoiding the rules of engagement and such. Graeber was "denied further tenure" at Yale despite his renowned work in anthropology which he suspects was a result of his political activism and refusal to cower in Yale's bureaucracy. There can be harsh consequences to challenging illegitimate authority.

    Cops hate puppets? If I would've known that, I would've never gotten rid of my cookie monster puppet from age 5.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Vice cops and The DEA stand as the worst for me. The DEA busts into houses in the middle of the night, to take "drug offenders" into custody. Or when they bust the wrong house, and then plant "evidence" to cover up their mistakes.

    And Vice cops are just pricks in general.

  5. #15
    Senior Member avolkiteshvara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    YaYa
    Posts
    895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Son of the Damned View Post
    Vice cops and The DEA stand as the worst for me. The DEA busts into houses in the middle of the night, to take "drug offenders" into custody. Or when they bust the wrong house, and then plant "evidence" to cover up their mistakes.

    And Vice cops are just pricks in general.

    What is funny are the cop shows where there is like 3 cops in a sting to bust one hooker.

    Or

    DEA agents getting all geared up with guns and shit and anti-climatically pulling some plants out of the ground.

    I swear I see a twinkle of shame in their eye in those instances.

  6. #16
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    One classic example I can use are the Police. They sit, they hide, they lurk here and there and wait until someone steps out of line to penalize them. I hate it when I see cops on the streets questioning people, even if they were doing something wrong. I hate it when cops hide behind the bushes on the High-Way because they have nothing better to do but drink coffee, play solitaire on their dashboard computers, and anxiously wait until they have the opportunity to assert their authority.
    I've noticed that those who hate the police the most are usually petty criminals.

    And I am just as surprised at the virulence of their hatred as its impotence.

  7. #17
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    The boys herein haranguing about the "authorities" probably range from 18-25. I know for a fact that Son of the Damned is in that range. It's a phase men go through, I suspect. I went through it myself. It's probably related to the transition from childhood submission to authority to rebellion and then to identification.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  8. #18
    Senior Member MonkeyGrass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    The boys herein haranguing about the "authorities" probably range from 18-25. I know for a fact that Son of the Damned is in that range. It's a phase men go through, I suspect. I went through it myself. It's probably related to the transition from childhood submission to authority to rebellion and then to identification.
    Which makes me wonder if it's because of abuse of parental authority that causes the delayed adolescent effect. The parent sets themselves up as god, controls through fear, and the child never gets a chance to try out their own wings.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

  9. #19
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass View Post
    Which makes me wonder if it's because of abuse of parental authority that causes the delayed adolescent effect. The parent sets themselves up as god, controls through fear, and the child never gets a chance to try out their own wings.
    Precisely. I don't know that it's that parents set themselves up as God, but they definitely control the child and abuse their position of authority, which in turn makes all authority suspect. I would not be surprised if the men herein also identify themselves as "atheists" as God is the ultimate authority figure, the ultimate Father.

    Also, this would, as you say, delay adulthood as adulthood would be seen as a destination of betrayal against the vulnerability of the child, which must be rejected or identified with. Identification is resisted as it introduces "cognitive dissonance", as Victor might say. The human mind tends to reject complexity.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  10. #20
    Senior Member MonkeyGrass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    879

    Default

    The human mind tends to reject complexity.
    Assuming it's able to identify and acknowledge the existence of the complexity in the first place. I'll wager, for many, it never really reaches a clear, cognitive level..and feels more like a vague, emotional storm. Thus, broad authority angst.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

Similar Threads

  1. The Abuse of Power
    By Mole in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-11-2009, 10:59 PM
  2. Power Abuse
    By Nonsensical in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-22-2009, 03:37 PM
  3. Legislative committee finds Palin guilty of abusing her power as Alaska's governor
    By Usehername in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 10-12-2008, 10:59 AM
  4. Commonly abused logical Fallacies..
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-27-2007, 05:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO