User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default File sharing penalties too harsh?

Jury rules against Minn. woman in download case - Yahoo! News

A jury ordered a single mom to pay $80,000 a song for 24 songs she illegally downloaded/shared.

I do support artists, and I believe in compensating them for their music instead of downloading them for free, but come on! Have the woman pay for the songs she downloaded, maybe a couple thousand to cover court costs and damages, but $1.92 million is insane by any stretch of the imagination.

If I were a recording artist, I would want to be paid for my songs, but I certainly wouldn't want the recording industry going after teens and single moms for every penny they're worth (or MORE than they're worth). Surely there's a better way? Thoughts?
    Something Witty

MBTI
    infp

If she can't pay, and they obviously know she can't, what happens next? is it a jail term over there?

And that is a truly ridiculous amount to be ordered to pay, that's not justice, it's a travesty.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Not only do I think it's harsh, I think it's absurd that they feel they have a right to control the Internet to that degree.

I don't agree with their sense of ownership and entitlement at all. Their arrogance really gets on my nerves.

They absolutely have a right to control their property, internet or no. Stealing is stealing. That's not even in question. But the penalty is absurd. If she'd shoplifted an album, she'd have been ordered to pay restitution and probably given probation. I don't see how this is different.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    If she can't pay, and they obviously know she can't, what happens next? is it a jail term over there?

And that is a truly ridiculous amount to be ordered to pay, that's not justice, it's a travesty.
    They're going to give her the option to settle for $3,500. She had that option initially, but tried to fight it. They're still offering it, so she'll probably just end up paying that.

Still, the arrogance of these "intellectual property" buffoons really gets to me. If that's how people feel about their music, I'd rather they just didn't create it.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    They absolutely have a right to control their property, internet or no. Stealing is stealing.
    :steam:

Shut up! That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard, calling music "property." I think they only started doing that after music was placed on mediums like records and such. Before that, I think most of it was public domain.

Besides, I think it's absurd that they might place all these new restrictions and filters on the Internet to limit how it can be used, just so these morons can control their so-called "property."

EDIT: I think I'd better stay out of this discussion... I feel way too strongly about it. If these people get their way, the days of freely available lyrics and YouTube links are history. Which means you get one paper copy of the lyrics (if that)... and that's it. Even people who post lyrics or link to copyrighted images on Internet forums like this one might be targeted. Do you understand?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

My usual method with songs is youtube.

My usual method with movies is to download them and if they are pleasing, buy them. (I have a verrrry large bought dvd collection, many do please me. :P )
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    My usual method with songs is youtube.

My usual method with movies is to download them and if they are pleasing, buy them. (I have a verrrry large bought dvd collection, many do please me. :P )

You probably shouldn't admit that you do that on here, though. The walls have ears. Some of the posters might even be RIAA/MPAA moles.

I'd personally be too scared to download movies, but I respect you for doing that.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    They're going to give her the option to settle for $3,500. She had that option initially, but tried to fight it. They're still offering it, so she'll probably just end up paying that.

Still, the arrogance of these "intellectual property" buffoons really gets to me. If that's how people feel about their music, I'd rather they just didn't create it.

Shut up! That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard, calling music "property." I think they only started doing that after music was placed on mediums like records and such. Before that, I think most of it was public domain.

Besides, I think it's absurd that they might place all these new restrictions and filters on the Internet to limit how it can be used, just so these morons can control their so-called "property."

EDIT: I think I'd better stay out of this discussion... I feel way too strongly about it. If these people get their way, the days of freely available lyrics and YouTube links are history. Which means you get one paper copy of the lyrics (if that)... and that's it. Even people who post lyrics or link to copyrighted images on Internet forums like this one might be targeted. Do you understand?
    It's not a matter of them controlling the internet--they created the music, and would prefer you buy it rather than download it for free. They can't create it for free or make a living from their music if people steal it. There's really nothing wrong with wanting to get paid for your work.

Having said that, record companies should have seen the writing on the wall and come up with a way to provide individual songs for sale long before they actually did. It's hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube. Not to mention, record companies were vastly overcharging for cds for years, and people got tired of it.

I'm just not sure going after individuals is the way to fix this. IMO, record companies should sue the sites that facilitate filesharing if they want to try and stop the process, and continue to offer downloads at a competitive price to make it easier for folks to buy their product. Suing 12-year-olds just makes the artists and the record companies look mean and petty. And it's also unfair to target a handful of representative downloaders, since they can't get every guilty party to pay.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    It's not a matter of them controlling the internet--they created the music, and would prefer you buy it rather than download it for free. They can't create it for free or make a living from their music if people steal it. There's really nothing wrong with wanting to get paid for your work.
    The thing is, unless they control the Internet, they won't be able to stop everyone from downloading it, especially the older music that's already widely propagated... so I assume that's what they want to do. They say they're working with ISPs, and I don't like the sound of that.

I mean, sure, now it's just for music, but if they set up a precedent and methods for controlling, monitoring, and punishing activity on the Internet... that could destroy the kind of open atmosphere we enjoy on it now.

As long as they stick to just sending out notices to filesharing websites (or even individuals) they find through normal search techniques, I'm fine with that. It's the idea of them doing more insidious stuff like embedding scans in the protocol or insisting that people can only have/make hardware that's compliant with or connected to their system, etc.

I'm just not sure going after individuals is the way to fix this. IMO, record companies should sue the sites that facilitate filesharing if they want to try and stop the process, and continue to offer downloads at a competitive price to make it easier for folks to buy their product. Suing 12-year-olds just makes the artists and the record companies look mean and petty. And it's also unfair to target a handful of representative downloaders, since they can't get every guilty party to pay.
    Right. The downloaders shouldn't be sued. If anyone is blamed, it should be the people who share the files, not the ones who download. I've never shared files with anyone else, but I won't say that I've never downloaded anything that was less than... clean. Granted, I deleted/destroyed it all after some of the more restrictive legislation was passed, and now YouTube is my only... indulgence.

MBTI
    XXXX
    Enneagram
    XXXX
    Socionics
    XXXX

He is right.

EDIT: I think I'd better stay out of this discussion... I feel way too strongly about it.
    I agree. You should shut up.
    Hit like a heavyweight, breathe deep, meditate
    Make the whole crowd get loud, make 'em levitate
    I ride through my city like a presidential candidate
    L-A-X, Phantom double-R, and accelerate