User Tag List

First 34567 Last

1.92 mil is bananas by any stretch of the imagination. It'd be nice if the individual artists she downloaded said their piece because I'm curious what the likes of Gloria Estefan and Journey would have to say about the "justice" of the court's ruling.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    What's the difference between internet download and the radio?

No, seriously. Apart from the fact the user has next to no control over what's on the radio.

Just wondering.
    Well, your "apart from" example is a pretty huge deal. It's the whole deal, really. When you download, you can play the song anytime you want, you can manipulate it, you can make playlists, fill up your iPod, burn to a CD and listen in the car, etc. When you listen to the radio, you're at the mercy of the DJ.

Having the music you want available when you want it instead of when it happens to come on the radio is the whole reason people bought records and then cassettes and then CDs. And that's why it's worth something, which is why downloading a song is worth something.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    1.92 mil is bananas by any stretch of the imagination. It'd be nice if the individual artists she downloaded said their piece because I'm curious what the likes of Gloria Estefan and Journey would have to say about the "justice" of the court's ruling.
    She's not actually going to have to pay that...

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    "We are pleased that the jury agreed with the evidence and found the defendant liable. Since day one, we have been willing to settle this case, and we remain willing to do so."

The RIAA had reportedly given Thomas-Rasset the opportunity to settle the case for between $3,000 and $5,000, but she declined.
    So if she just agrees to the settlement, she can make all this stop.

But she's decided to appeal the decision. She's fighting this whole thing on principle. The RIAA didn't want this, because they know EXACTLY how bad it makes them look to the public. She basically forced their hand by refusing to settle. They would much rather just demand money for a settlement, have people pay it, and keep the whole thing out of court. You have to admit, they're not stupid...

MBTI
    SEXY

The music industry is rotten and corrupt. Art is meant to have meaning and ad purpose to peoples lives. I'll gladly pay to see an art exhibit of a painter I like, or go to a concert or buy a cd of a musician that strikes me. But I won't go around making unidentifiable, corporate ashhole people rich so they can put that money to use enhancing their ridiculous peer-approval based marketing strategies.

Thank god for artists like Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, Immortal Technique and Dangermouse who dare to stand up to this nonsense and tell record companies to go fuck themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    She's not actually going to have to pay that..
    I fail to see how this makes the ruling less ridiculous.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I fail to see how this makes the ruling less ridiculous.
    It doesn't. But my point was that the judge and jury are the ones primarily to blame in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    It doesn't. But my point was that the judge and jury are the ones primarily to blame in this situation.
    The judge and jury created the ruling. How are we disagreeing?

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I'm wondering if the divide on this issue is between people that grew up with easily downloadable "free" music and those who didn't. When I grew up, the only way to hear music was to listen to the radio, be in a public place playing music, buy a record, or buy a concert ticket. We've ALWAYS paid for music. It was a product like any other.
    I think that's probably a lot of it - if not all. There definitely seems to be a pretty large generational gap (and not just talking about this forum) when the topic arises. The thing that frustrates me about it is that the basic argument often winds up being "but it's easy, and nobody will ever know" or "record companies suck" - now while both of those things are probably true, neither even begins to address the moral issue that you're taking benefit of someone else's work, for which they intended to be paid, and not paying them for it. I'm waiting for some overenthusiastic pedant to bring up the "it's not stealing - it's just copyright violation" excuse... and although technically true, is a morally corrupt viewpoint, as I see it. If someone's charging more for their work than you think it's worth - you have a recourse... don't use it (or buy it). End of story.

Now is it frustrating to see creative artists in the grip of a corporate money-hungry industry? Absolutely. Has the industry abused their stranglehold over marketing and distribution of music to shortchange artists? Almost certainly. It's not like they're innocent here. But simply saying "I"m mad at you, so I'm taking your product without paying for it" sort of forfeits your right to the moral high ground here.

The amount of the penalty *is* ridiculous (and quite a bit beyond)- but it's not like she's innocent of wrongdoing.

Oh, and the other difference between downloading content off of the internet and listening to music on the radio... the radio station pays for the right to broadcast the music. When items are downloaded (illegally) - nobody's paying the artist/producer etc.

Anyway, I've ranted enough - call it a pet peeve
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

By this judgement's math, I have well into the millions of dollars of damaging information.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The judge and jury created the ruling. How are we disagreeing?
    We're not. We agree, apparently.