User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I think it's kind of sorry that I had to grow up having music freely available with no strings attached, and then all of a sudden they slam down and tell us we've got to pay for it. I suppose I'm not angry because of fairness, I'm angry because I'm used to having something, and now it's not available so easily anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I'm just subject to think that if I want to pay for music, I want to pay for a whole CD I enjoy, or for a concert to see them play live the things I heard on the radio or on the computer. If I can hear it on youtube for free, I'm gonna download it for free, that's the bottom line. When I can afford to, I'm always in support of artists of all kinds.. but I'm not going to go bankrupt because Usher came out with a new song.
    I'm wondering if the divide on this issue is between people that grew up with easily downloadable "free" music and those who didn't. When I grew up, the only way to hear music was to listen to the radio, be in a public place playing music, buy a record, or buy a concert ticket. We've ALWAYS paid for music. It was a product like any other.

Perhaps younger people grew up thinking that stealing music from the internet was the baseline for how music is distributed...i.e. "they're taking something away from us that we've always had" instead of "we always paid for it, then for a little while some computer geeks found a way to get it without paying for it, and now content providers are just trying to figure out a way to put it back right again."

The perspective isn't there, and I can tell when I read quotes like the above, where music is seen as some sort of honor system where if you really like it you might buy it, or if you like every song on the album you might buy it. YouTube is not the same. It's like promotion, and you can't take it with you. It's not at all the same thing as downloading a song for your own use on your iPod or to burn to CD. You don't want to buy a whole album? Fine, that's why iTunes sells songs for 99 cents. You don't have the money to buy the music you want? Well, that stinks. There's a lot of things I'd like that I don't have the money for. I just don't understand why people think it's okay just because it's easy to do.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Fine, that's why iTunes sells songs for 99 cents. You don't have the money to buy the music you want? Well, that stinks. There's a lot of things I'd like that I don't have the money for. I just don't understand why people think it's okay just because it's easy to do.
    Well, that's just it. I'm willing to pay for the music, and have been ever since I was told that was the law.

The problem is that I want my friends online to be able to listen to it as well. Having the song for myself doesn't allow me to easily share the experience with others, and that's my major issue. It pretty much makes the experience of the music self-contained, which takes away half the fun. It puts rather annoying limits I don't particularly care for on how I can use it once I've got it.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    YouTube is not the same. It's like promotion, and you can't take it with you.
    Actually... sometimes people have set up their computers to "rip" YouTube videos. So in the eyes of many in the music industry, it really is.

MBTI
    INTJ

What's the difference between internet download and the radio?

No, seriously. Apart from the fact the user has next to no control over what's on the radio.

Just wondering.

MBTI
    intp

I haven't "file shared" in years, and I've also not discovered as many musical acts over those years, which means I've bought far fewer albums as a result of listening to far fewer new artists via file sharing.
    I hope that tickles the RIAA/MPAA.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    I haven't "file shared" in years, and I've also not discovered as many musical acts over those years, which means I've bought far fewer albums as a result of listening to far fewer new artists via file sharing.
    I hope that tickles the RIAA/MPAA.
    That's pretty much what I've done, too. Except for what I find via YouTube, I almost never discover any new artists I'm interested in.

I pretty much just stick to old music I've already purchased now, because most newer music isn't all that good anyway, and if I have to gamble on something I've never heard, well... not too interested, sorry.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    most newer music isn't all that good anyway, and if I have to gamble on something I've never heard, well... not too interested, sorry.
    yup. And at up to $20 a gamble, no thanks.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

If file sharing does end up really hurting album sales, maybe this would force musicians to become more live concert oriented instead of studio (and usually very poppy) oriented. This would favor raw talent over lifeless and overproduced studio magic. It's no surprise that many of the best live bands offer up their music for free.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    If file sharing does end up really hurting album sales, maybe this would force musicians to become more live concert oriented instead of studio (and usually very poppy) oriented.
    Indeed. It has already started happening. It's a nice side effect. I'd be tickled to see the Big Record industry sue itself into obsolescence after screwing musicians and music fans for years.

Fans spending more on live music than records? | News | NME.COM

Will Page, Chief Economist at music royalties agency PRS, says revenue from ticket sales, performance royalties and VAT has now overtaken that from recorded music.
    hoarding time and space

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    Indeed. It has already started happening. It's a nice side effect. I'd be tickled to see the Big Record industry sue itself into obsolescence after screwing musicians and music fans for years.

Fans spending more on live music than records? | News | NME.COM
    Wooo! *throws rocks at Warner Music Group*

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Jury rules against Minn. woman in download case - Yahoo! News

A jury ordered a single mom to pay $80,000 a song for 24 songs she illegally downloaded/shared.

I do support artists, and I believe in compensating them for their music instead of downloading them for free, but come on! Have the woman pay for the songs she downloaded, maybe a couple thousand to cover court costs and damages, but $1.92 million is insane by any stretch of the imagination.

If I were a recording artist, I would want to be paid for my songs, but I certainly wouldn't want the recording industry going after teens and single moms for every penny they're worth (or MORE than they're worth). Surely there's a better way? Thoughts?
    I saw that article and all I could think about was how unlucky that lady was. I hope that they're just making an example of her to prove a point and not to really make her pay that much. Hopefully she'll just have to pay for the songs and court costs and and they'll find better ways to stop free file sharing.