User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

or learn how to guilt trip as effectively as PBS!

It simply STUNS me the philosophical gymnastics people will do to to justify their behavior. I'm finished in this thread, because I'm simply banging my head against a wall. The internet is not some amorally magical land through the looking glass where nobody has to be accountable because nobody can be identified. Ethics are inside you, not external. They follow you wherever you go, even if nobody is there to witness. Lazy convenience at the expense of ethical behavior is responsible for a lot of awfulness in the world, and most of it would be denounced by the "free spirits" in this thread. Then again, I suppose most of the time it doesn't get you free stuff.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    It simply STUNS me the philosophical gymnastics people will do to to justify their behavior. I'm finished in this thread, because I'm simply banging my head against a wall. The internet is not some amorally magical land through the looking glass where nobody has to be accountable because nobody can be identified. Ethics are inside you, not external. They follow you wherever you go, even if nobody is there to witness. Lazy convenience at the expense of ethical behavior is responsible for a lot of awfulness in the world, and most of it would be denounced by the "free spirits" in this thread. Then again, I suppose most of the time it doesn't get you free stuff.
    ETHICS/PRINCIPLES are. I only want to use the Internet to avoid being accountable to certain external standards. Like those of people who might judge me for having a different political orientation, religion, etc. Fear of being judged by such people is the reason I never say what I really think in the real world, and just go along with what I'm told whether I believe in it or not.

MBTI
    YaYa

Maybe you could share with us your list of morals you live by. That way we wouldn't have to try to figure them out for ourselves and could blindly follow you.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

What are these amorphous "internet standards" that people keep talking about? Where are they listed? To be honest, it sounds like hippie talk. The internet isn't a free for all. You've talked about the internet as a space for a free exchange of information that shouldn't be fooled with. What if I had your credit card numbers and shared them on the internet? Is that okay because the internet is a safe place that can't be touched? I know I sound harsh, but I'm trying to show that there are exceptions and limitations to a free exchange of information. It's the same as the first amendment. We have a right to free speech, but they'll still throw you in jail for yelling "fire" in a theater or threatening the life of the President. Not all speech is equal, and not all information sharing is either.
    Sure there should be exceptions. Not sure what that has to do with song sharing though.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    Maybe you could share with us your list of morals you live by. That way we wouldn't have to try to figure them out for ourselves and could blindly follow you.
    i can't speak for others, but here is a good place to start: Law of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

don't, however, limit yourself to this
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

*random side note*

Most pop artists use albums and new songs as a means of promoting concert sales. That's where they're making the big bucks. Not off CD sales.

You're starting to see the trend of bands releasing music for free on their websites. (e.g. coldplay)

Regardless of what's morally and legally correct, there's no way you can stop music sharing. It's much more effective taking that into account and use it to your advantage.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I pay a monthly fee for a music service. I don't mind paying for my music, however I am guilty of getting maybe 3 songs per year for free through file sharing but that's only when I can't find the song I'm looking for on any pay service. I hope I don't get arrested for confessing this.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I'm stunned by some of the justification to people's believed 'rights' to illegally download off the internet.

Re the OP, the fine handed down is excessive but the deal they were prepared to make is not, itís really simple, downloading copyrighted music without paying is illegal and there are consequences if you get caught, saying that everyone does it or that music should be free or that your privacy was infringed upon is not a valid excuse and the idea that you wonít get caught cause you donít do it much is played out in cases like this where clearly it is shown that you could be. Free music is not a right and your right to privacy does not trump your right to conduct illegal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    What's the difference between internet download and the radio?

No, seriously. Apart from the fact the user has next to no control over what's on the radio.
    Artists get paid to have their music played on the radio. At least they do here.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Artists get paid to have their music played on the radio. At least they do here.
    Oops, yeah, forgot about that. Royalties. Radio stations pay a license fee (I think). Long, long ago I used to be a breathy, monotone voice on a student radio station. One week out of four I'd have to write down everything I played and for how long. There was a form and a bunch of details that had to be copied off the rekkid.

I like downloading stuff for free. I do. And I haven't bought a (legal) CD or DVD in at least ten years. Actually, around here--not-big town China--I couldn't if I tried. Every DVD and CD is a pirate copy.

I'm a bad man?