User Tag List

12 Last

heart on fire

Default USA Births Hint at Boy Bias in Some

Bias for Boys in Births

US Births Hint at Boy Bias in Some

(June 15) — Sifting through United States census data, two Columbia University professors came across a surprising trend — a significantly higher proportion of boys being born to Americans of Chinese, Indian and Korean descent.

Demographers believe that the statistical difference arises from a preference for male children -- and a growing tendency for such families to use sex-selection techniques and abortion, The New York Times reported.

"That this is going on in the United States — people were blown away by this," said Lena Edlund, one of the Columbia professors...(more at link)

Related story: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ion-legal.html

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Interesting.

Of course, it reflects the boy bias in the original homeland.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think the Chinese number of 125:100 might be higher than the population percentage in China (which at last check I made back in 2004-2005 was only like 116:100 to 120:100 or something... and that was considered pretty horrid in terms of the impact on teen crime, since boys were getting involved in gangs because there weren't enough girls left to match up with...)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    enfp

in general those kind of trends are disappearing as daughters take care of the parents more often... than previously...

after popping out 2 or 3 daughters, sometimes parents might get worried about who will take care of them as they retire. It was always the son who had to live close to their parents as they age, and take care of them, etc... so naturally parents would want a son if they have only daughters.

but this trend is disappearing amongst Koreans in Korea. Korea is now considered one of two high income OECD countries in Asia (along with Japan) so naturally there are more economic opportunities for women, that are significant enough to be able to take care of parents as they get older.

Upfront

And a 2006 study by the Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs showed that of 5,400 married South Korean women under 45 who were surveyed, only 10 percent said they felt that they must have a son—down from 40 percent in 1991.

"My husband and I have no preference at all for boys," says Park Su-mi, 29, a newlywed.

"We don't care whether we have a boy or girl because we don't see any difference between a boy and a girl in helping make our family happy."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Ha- lucky me. My Korean mother wanted boys, but got all three of us born as girls. She's a very bitter woman- I must not be sufficient for her. All she wants is to see us married off well, and not pregnant until after marriage. Traditional much?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

A somewhat related question... how many families have 3 or 4 kids?

What's the average? 1.7 or something per couple?

Is there a particular subset of the population that is more likely to have higher number of kids? Blue collar families? I don't see it as surprising that they'll have a more traditional view of valuing boys more than girls.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

told you so!! God, that nozflubber sure is wrong sooooo much, I pity that guy. Yeah, me too.

MBTI
    INTj

Irrational! These parents will create a self fulfilling prophesy with their daughters.

MBTI
    INTP

Before Woman's lib in the west there was Baking Soda Boys.

From TIME.COM Medicine: Baking-Soda Boys - TIME
    For at least 2,500 years, man has tried to control the sex of his offspring. In 1932, Dr. Felix Unterberger of Konigsberg, Germany pointed out that semen is normally slightly alkaline, and the female vaginal tract acid. In some marriages, he said, an unusually alkaline semen produces a preponderance of boys, a strongly acid vaginal tract a majority of girls. Sex of children should be controlled, then, by adjusting the acid balance of the vagina. After some animal experiments, Dr. Unterberger tried the method on humans, claimed to have "determined" the birth of 74 boys. His method: mild vaginal douches of alkaline baking soda and water before conception.

In 1938, Captain Joseph Medill Patterson, publisher of the Manhattan tabloid Daily News, got interested in sex determination. He hired a couple of scientists, set them to work in an old laboratory douching rats and rabbits. For two years the News has issued bulletins on the sex of its baby rats. Alleged rate of success: 75%.
    EDIT: FOOTNOTE

I have never seen this anywhere, but I would bet the female vaginal tract will become more acidic with frequent intercourse, and less so little. Nature is replete with feed back-loop examples where the female body's choose sex based on sexual encounters. Dogs for example will have more boys in the litter if conception comes late during the heat, and the converse if early. Nature's thinking here: If conception happens late, then there must not be too many male dogs about.