123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

Default Iranian Protests

It seems likely the elections were rigged or tampered with given the results:
    BBC NEWS | Middle East | Q&A: Iran election aftermath
    Particularly interesting is the rural-urban divide. All of a sudden, Ahmadinejad won in urban areas from where he has traditionally drawn little support.

The election was never really democratic since the Council of Guardians and the Ayatollah closely monitor and screens all candidates to all posts. For example, in the 2001 Presidential election, 800 applications for the Presidential election were made of which 10 people were allowed to run.

Having said that, the protests are so fascinating. Even if the elections are restricted to a few candidates deemed likely and the religious establishment monitors everything closely, the Ayatollah's favored candidate won, victory was declared quickly but is scarcely accepted by all segments of the Iranian population. The ayatollah's favored candidate and incumbent is being protested by hundreds of thousands (potentially millions) of people on the streets and in universities. These protests seem spontaneous in some areas and organized in others. The opposition candidate whose supporters are leading the protests is the reform candidate, far more moderate towards the West.
    BBC NEWS | Middle East | Iran's presidential candidates

What do the protests mean for Iran's future --
    Is democratization inevitable?
    A less harsh dictatorship?
    Status Quo?
    A narrower, harsher dictatorship will emerge in response to dissent?

Discuss. Please.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I've been riveted by this. I hope for the very very best for the Iranians and democracy.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTx

One point I noticed was that the government was rather quick to shut down media and internet to stifle communications.

I wonder how quickly and what severity things would need to get to in the "western world" to do the same? I imagine things would need to be pretty bad and it would likely backfire.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

I don't know about shutting down media and internet but pressured censorship in the post 9/11 world seemed pretty bad.

I am always amazed though that within it's context (Middle Eastern theocracy), it actually offers more freedoms than many of the monarchies in the region. Relatively speaking, of course.

In Iran too, this shutdown has just led to greater protests. More people turned out today and there was firing but even the forces realized that the sheer number of people couldn't be controlled. This is what makes me question whether it may lead to change Once a dictatorship is opened up and repression becomes difficult with the sheer number of protesters, change seems more likely. Let's see...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Its mainly a struggle between the Youth and the aging clerical government. Iran is ruled by a cleric known as the Supreme Leader. He is the head of state and has the final say in all state affairs. He also controls the Guardian Council, which in turns approves who and who may not run for the Presidency. Which means, of course, that Conservatives dominate the ballot. However, a relative moderate (who is also a former Prime minister, I think) was running in this election cycle and he had strong support from the young.

The Young people of Iran are extremely frustrated with their government. They see the President as a fool who can't run an economy for shit. They see through his tirades against America as cynical attempts to drum up support for government projects. They want jobs, homes, and a say in their future. Its becoming clear that they're almost willing to take it, mullahs be damned.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Six years ago I praised a student dissident writing pseudonymously from Tehran, and received a very touching e-mail letter of thanks.

What a rich, inspiring nation Iran could become if those people set themselves free.

MBTI
    YaYa

Quote Originally Posted by Son of the Damned View Post
    Its mainly a struggle between the Youth and the aging clerical government. Iran is ruled by a cleric known as the Supreme Leader. He is the head of state and has the final say in all state affairs. He also controls the Guardian Council, which in turns approves who and who may not run for the Presidency. Which means, of course, that Conservatives dominate the ballot. However, a relative moderate (who is also a former Prime minister, I think) was running in this election cycle and he had strong support from the young.

The Young people of Iran are extremely frustrated with their government. They see the President as a fool who can't run an economy for shit. They see through his tirades against America as cynical attempts to drum up support for government projects. They want jobs, homes, and a say in their future. Its becoming clear that they're almost willing to take it, mullahs be damned.
    Word.

I remember hearing some statistic that like 70% of the population is under 25......don't quote me on it though. With the advent of the internet and satellite TV, Iranian youth aren't going to put up with the dogmatic bullshit.

You can bet the CIA is fueling/feeding this as much as they can....social systems engineering.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    Word.
    I remember hearing some statistic that like 70% of the population is under 25......don't quote me on it though. With the advent of the internet and satellite TV, Iranian youth aren't going to put up with the dogmatic bullshit.
    You are correct - Iran's biggest population demographic is the youngest age group < 25 age - I thought it was more like 60% (BBC documentary - Inside Iran with Rageh Omar on Google video). It's not unusual, given the revolution, for the students to be at the center of the protests.

Son of the damned -- Moussavi was the former Prime Minister. I think he was also known for sound economic policies during that time and has the backing of former moderate President Khatami.

A little comic relief in the middle of the madness:
    "Among the countries congratulating Mr Ahmadinejad on his victory were Iraq, Afghanistan, Venezuela and North Korea. "

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I've been following this for the last few days. The latest seems to be that:

- Iran's Guardian Council has agreed to perform a recount. (very surprising)
    - Ahmadinejad has left Iran.
    - At least 7 dead.

MBTI
    IsTP

Iran > U.S.

Imagine if our reaction in 2000 was half of what it is in Iran right now...
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"