User Tag List

heart on fire

Default Mixing with Malthusians: Overpopulation

People who want childbearing to be taboo.

spiked | Mixing with Malthusians

Wednesday 1 April 2009
    Mixing with Malthusians
    spiked editor Brendan O’Neill ventured into a pit of population-controllers, and found himself holding his nose.
    Brendan O’Neill

Now I know what Greg Dyke, former boss of the BBC, meant by the phrase ‘hideously white’. At the Optimum Population Trust’s invitation-only conference at the end of last week, ‘Environmentally Sustainable Populations’, there was a sea of white faces, grey hair, purple-tinted rinses and blue blazers, as men and women of a certain hue, age and class gathered to discuss the ‘problem’ of population growth. In plummy voices – and in between House-of-Lords-style catnaps, perhaps taken to re-energise their prejudicial streaks – the attendees spoke darkly of ‘decimation’, ‘apocalypse’ and ‘tipping points’ (which is enviro-speak for apocalypse) in a world plagued by ‘too many people’.

There is something unavoidably spooky about people who spend their waking hours fretting about overpopulation, and who hand out leaflets saying ‘How many is too many?’ (More at link)

MBTI
    ENTJ

I'm aware of these people. They're misanthropes and I completely disagree with them.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INTP

overpopulation is not as huge a problem as some may think. birth rates are dropping fairly quickly in nations of all types, especially developed nations. one reason is that children are no longer an economic plus, they're a huge economic minus. compare this to a few centuries ago when more children meant more free labor. as more people move from farms to cities, they have fewer children.

so, in reality, we will soon have the exact opposite problem: to few people... at least in the developed world. in a few decades some countries will have to start actively seeking immigrants. the united states, of course, has mexico to butress its need for cheap labor but that won't always be the case. japan, for example, which has historically discouraged immigration will be in an especially difficult spot soon enough.

for reference, i believe the average birth rate number below which the population shrinks is 2.1.

Experts: Falling Birth Rates to Cause 'Demographic Time Bomb'
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

My first instinct is to agree with them completely.

But that might be partially because of my own inability to have children, and partially because I always had this paranoid idea that people become less human (or at least less themselves) when they have children.

It's mostly because there are such things as "mother" and "father" archetypes, and I worry that they'd lose their own identity and become possessed by the archetypes upon having children, perhaps losing part of their intelligence, creativity, and personality to traditional perspectives and emotions (partially because I've heard it said by someone that the older generation always appears more SJ to the newer generation).

Some of this might have more to do with an overactive imagination and lack of experience with people than anything else, though. Seeing evidence that people commonly retain the capacity for selfish behavior and interest in their previous pursuits after that point in life would probably dispel this notion.

MBTI
    ESFJ

There are parts of the world that "overpopulated" right now, but birth rates plummet as incomes increase/become more stable. Globalization will actually help rectify this situation as more and more Third World nations grow.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTj

Birthrates in the Western world are too low to sustain the social security system.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Birthrates in the Western world are too low to sustain the social security system.
    Looks like we're going to have to reform the social security systems then, huh?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Looks like we're going to have to reform the social security systems then, huh?
    Possibly. More likely, immigration will provide the extra bodies.

MBTI
    SEXY

It's not that simple, without increasing population, the earth has a smaller chance of survival in the end. Too much population will take a toll on the earth, but too little people will stop progress of our civilization and that's even more dangerous. At the moment we haven't faced unsolvable problems yet. As long as those Greenpeace hippies don't interfere with genetic research and realistic alternative energy supplies like nuclear- or hydrogen energy there really won't be a problem any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by miked277 View Post
    overpopulation is not as huge a problem as some may think. birth rates are dropping fairly quickly in nations of all types, especially developed nations. one reason is that children are no longer an economic plus, they're a huge economic minus. compare this to a few centuries ago when more children meant more free labor. as more people move from farms to cities, they have fewer children.

so, in reality, we will soon have the exact opposite problem: to few people... at least in the developed world. in a few decades some countries will have to start actively seeking immigrants. the united states, of course, has mexico to butress its need for cheap labor but that won't always be the case. japan, for example, which has historically discouraged immigration will be in an especially difficult spot soon enough.

for reference, i believe the average birth rate number below which the population shrinks is 2.1.

Experts: Falling Birth Rates to Cause 'Demographic Time Bomb'

Gotta, love an INTP's cheking the numbers.