User Tag List

12 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Default White supremacist shooting inside Holocaust Museum in Washington D.C kills gaurd

Holocaust Museum guard killed in shooting, gunman wounded
    By Gerald Herbert, AP
    James Von Brunn

By David Jackson and Steve Marshall, USA TODAY
    WASHINGTON A guard at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum died after being shot Wednesday in the crowded attraction and a gunman was seriously wounded in return fire, authorities said. The incident left panic-stricken visitors dashing for exits, witnesses said.

"Officer Stephen Tyrone Johns died heroically in the line of duty today," a late-afternoon museum statement said. "There are no words to express our grief and shock over these events.
    Holocaust Museum guard killed in shooting, gunman wounded - USATODAY.com

Holocaust Museum Shooting, Other Recent Attacks Prove Domestic Extremism a Threat
    By Alex Kingsbury
    Posted June 10, 2009

A month before a suspected white supremacist walked into the Holocaust Memorial Museum in downtown Washington and opened fire, the Department of Homeland Security warned that domestic right-wing extremism was the most pressing domestic terrorist threat that the country faced.

Conservatives were outraged that the DHS analysts had singled out antiabortion and antitax radicals for scrutiny. But the report was part of a series that DHS compiles on domestic dangers from all sides of the political spectrum, an area that's taken a back seat to overseas threats.

A series of recent incidents shows the prescience of those reports and illustrates the worrying reality that terrorism often comes from inside the homeland. Worse still, the reports caution that such attacks are likely to happen again. In the past two weeks, the country has seen the bombing of a Starbucks coffee shop in New York City, the arrest of four men for allegedly plotting to blow up synagogues and shoot down planes, the shooting of two soldiers at an Army recruitment center in Arkansas, the assassination of a doctor inside a Kansas church, and the shooting at the Holocaust Museum. Although these are not all cases of right-wing extremism, each is an example of domestic terrorism. "We still face threats from al Qaeda," FBI chief Robert Mueller warned Congress in May during a briefing on threats facing the nation. "But we must also focus on less well-known terrorist groups, as well as homegrown terrorists."

The man authorities say was the shooter at the Holocaust Museum, James von Brunn, was a well-known white supremacist who had railed against blacks, Jews, and the power of the federal government. In 1981, Brunn walked into the Federal Reserve Board with a shotgun, according to news reports. In another incident in early April, three police officers in Pittsburgh were killed by another reported white supremacist.

In another recent high-profile incident, George Tiller, a Kansas doctor who performed legal abortions, was shot and killed last Sunday as he stood in the aisle of his church. Scott Roeder, the man charged in Tiller's murder, echoes the DHS report on right-wing extremism. Believed to have been a member of an antigovernment militia in Montana during the mid-1990s, Roeder had a history of railing against taxes and abortion, according to news reports. "We can see from these incidents that the U.S. is not immune from these types of attacks and that a lone gunman or cell can kill just as effectively," says Bruce Hoffman, a terrorism expert at Georgetown University. "But it also shows that those operating outside an organized terrorist network lack the training and tradecraft to make their attacks either sustained or a systemic threat." After the killing, the U.S. Marshals Service was instructed to increase security at the country's abortion clinics.

There was no call to reinforce security at military recruiting stations, however, after Abdulhakim Muhammad allegedly shot two soldiers smoking cigarettes in the parking lot of an Army center in Arkansas. Pvt. William Long was killed and another soldier was wounded. Muhammad was reportedly angry over the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. On Tuesday, he pleaded not guilty to murder charges.

Four Muslim men also pleaded their innocence before a judge in a White Plains, N.Y., courthouse after being accused of plotting to blow up a pair of synagogues and down military aircraft with a shoulder-fired missile. The feds had been keeping tabs on the men for a year and sold them the missile and explosives, which had been deactivated. The four were reportedly angered over the deaths of Muslims in Afghanistan at the hands of U.S. forces.

The motives are less clear for a bizarre bomb attack early last week that hurt no one but blew out the windows of a Manhattan Starbucks. Police speculate that antiglobalization protesters, who've targeted the coffee chain in the past, may have been responsible. While these latest attacks are examples of more traditional violence, DHS is gearing up for yet another new type of threat: cyberattacks.
    Holocaust Museum Shooting, Other Recent Attacks Prove Domestic Extremism a Threat - US News and World Report

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Fucking disgraceful.

Who are you to think it right, honorable, or justified to kill in such a place that has already been littered with greif and death? There is not justification that I can think of, just that this guy must have been really F'd up. I can't really think of any words to express my anger and hostility towards this man. I know there are many like this in our world, there will always be, but when it comes down to killing someone, a guard, in such a place as a Holocaust Remembrance facility, I can't express myself.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INTP

Oops.... I put this in The Bonfire.

MBTI
    ENFJ

This is how it starts, isn't it?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

It's heating up. It will be hot news, AJ, don't fret!
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    This is how it starts, isn't it?
    Yeah, and right-wing extremism seems to be on the rise. Apparently this guy was part of the Obama "Birther" movement that doesn't even believe Obama is eligible to be President.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    It's heating up. It will be hot news, AJ, don't fret!
    Yeah but a story about the Holocaust probably shouldn't be in a subforum that has to do with fire.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Yeah, and right-wing extremism seems to be on the rise. Apparently this guy was part of the Obama "Birther" movement that doesn't even believe Obama is eligible to be President.
    Figures everything would start going down the crapper as soon as I'm actually preparing to go out into the world.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP

It's interesting to see how Stormfront.org (a White Nationalist forum) is reacting to this.

D.C. Holocaust Museum shooting - Stormfront

MBTI
    INTP

While I believe people like this should be made a public example of, unfortunately that fine line that exists in my head does not exist in the real world.

It bothers me that despite what he did, chances are my taxes will end up going to his three meals a day and a roof over his head for the rest of his life.
    I know a girl, she's one of a kind
    But the poor little thing, she's going out of her mind
    There's something you forgot - there's a reason why she's lost
    Cos baby she don't want to be found

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    It's interesting to see how Stormfront.org (a White Nationalist forum) is reacting to this.

D.C. Holocaust Museum shooting - Stormfront
    I gave up at the point where the one who was such a walking stereotype he would have been a self-parody in any other context started criticising him for his "poor planning". I really wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry at that Eventually I compromised by retiring to the bathroom for a quiet and cathartic puke.

Anyway, what this story seems to amount to is that you're never too old to hate. Maybe he'd been fantasising about doing something like this for many years of his lengthy and presumably deperately unfulfiled life, and when he felt it finally drawing to its close, decided to go out in style. Or what he would consider style anyway. Hopefully they can somehow keep him alive for trial and the humilliation of being called to account for his actions, just in case some other geriatric with a grievance or other terminally desperate misanthrope *ie pretty much the whole white supremacist population* feels inspired to emulate him.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...