User Tag List

First 678

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Okay. Let's do that. Let's suppose the old gal pulls a knife.

But as that is an entirely hypothetical construct of your own making and irrelevant to what actually happened, I can only assume you are taking the piss?
    No, in his world everyone is a dangerous psychopath until proven otherwise. Except, of course, the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    What level of force do you think is appropriate? Should the cop simply tag along like a puppy and try to sweet talk her into compliance?
    Trying to "act macho", is a matter of ego, not professionalism, and just shows weak interpersonal skills if used in a low risk situation.

You're ignoring the fact that cops deal with many such incidences. There's no way to predict which will escalate into a life threatening situation.
    No, I'm not, and yes, there is. It's called common sense, wedded to the officer's training, integrity, prior experience, and situational awareness. Not that much of any of these were on display.

You can't rule any belligerent individual out as a potential lethal threat.
    Not ruling out is one thing, assuming the worst without reasonable foundation is paranoia. Situations require dynamic assessment. It's a simple matter of competance.

The departmental policy on Tasering really makes little difference to this discussion. We are debating on what level of force ought to be considered appropriate, not whether Tasering her was compliant that department's written policy.
    That simply isn't logical. The written policy is *or ought to be* the officer's reference for what constitutes a legitimate use of force in his jurisdiction, otherwise why have a policy at all? I'm sure that he's made aware of the department's policy in his training. It is clear you feel that he's entitled to essentially make it up as he goes along, but a clear line of accountability for police actions is essential for policing to be legitimate in a democratic society. A policy is not merely a tiresome piece of necessary bureaucracy, as you appear to think, but a fundamental aspect of this accountability. I'm sure his non-adherance to it will be highly significant if it goes to court.

I'm sure her lawyer will be quick to capitalize on any legal angle available when she return with outstretched hands to demand money.
    Yes, indeed, nasty people, these nitpicking lawyers. On this occasion, however, I agree with them.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    No, in his world everyone is a dangerous psychopath until proven otherwise. Except, of course, the police.
    Better safe than sorry. The stakes are high.

That simply isn't logical. The written policy is *or ought to be* the officer's reference for what constitutes a legitimate use of force in his jurisdiction, otherwise why have a policy at all?
    If he contravened the written law, he will face the consequences. This is suppose to be a philosophical discussion. There is no requirement to defer to the written policy. The validity of the policy itself could be questioned.

If if had turned out that the policy did not support your point of view, I doubt that you would have ceased your attack.