User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    epyT
    Enneagram

Wow. The lady refused to sign her speeding ticket, said she would rather go to jail, and then resisted arrest after the officer called her bluff. The officer than warned her 5 times, 5 TIMES, that he would taze her if she did not comply. Guess what happened, that's it, she didn't comply...and then she got tazed. God I wish I could have seen that one coming...

At one point there she even attempted to get back into her car, trying to go through the officer, pushing him into oncoming traffic, to do so. Even if the officer used physical force, the situation would not have ended well for him. Either way, it would have been played over news networks as a case of police brutality.

And honestly, people are sympathizing with the old lady as if the officer came up to her car window, broke through the glass with his nightstick, screamed at the lady to sign the paper, and then promptly tazed her when she refused. She wasn't tazed for failure to sign the ticket, she was tazed for resisting arrest and acting as if her age was an okay reason to do so.
    Only after disaster can we be resurrected.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Naw, I just think tazing an old woman is cowardly and not necessary. She was warned etc. - *technically* he wasn't in the wrong to taze her. But I still think it was a failure on his part that he did.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

There are plenty of other issues raised by myself and others which those who think the officer's actions are justified are simply ignoring in their eagerness to say something along the lines of "she deserved it", which is a consideration not relevant to whether he was discharging his duties correctly. Travis/Austin county police department, however, have spared me the tedium of further elaboration and explication of the bleeding obvious by making quite plain what was expected of the officer in their policy document.

I refer the advocates of police brutality and unprofessionalism posting in this thread to the Tazer use policy of the officer's own department, which he clearly violated on two, and possibly three points.

Full version:

http://http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/ne...taserfinal.pdf

APD Policy on Taser Use

Taser policy has changed.

Tasers will not be used when…

1) Handcuffed suspect
    2) The suspect is fleeing from officers for a
    misdemeanor or non-violent offense, unless
    armed and posing immediate threat

3) Against persons displaying passive resistance [arguable]
    4) When flammable liquids or gases are
    present
    5) Against a woman who is obviously
    pregnant; a child, which by physical
    stature and size appears to be under
    the age of 14; a disabled individual; or
    an elderly individual
    Is that clear enough for you? Un. Professional.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    ENTJ

Hey, well done for finding that Ragashree. Looks like he probably wasn't even technically in the right to tase her!

Also, this:

"she deserved it", which is a consideration not relevant to whether he was discharging his duties correctly.
    is an excellent point.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    ISTJ

The lady was acting irrationally which made her look suspicious (substance abuse?) in the first place. Then she went for her car which is something you do NOT do unless given permission or the document has been signed. She could have had a gun or other weapon in there under the seat or something. Safety trumps elderly. Safety also trumps ANY "policy" that is made. The officer used his discretion, I would have done the same thing. The taser did not harm her, so she has nothing to complain about anyway.

Safety (for the officer AND the suspect) is stressed A LOT during police academy, and you DON'T take chances. Every step of the way until those handcuffs are on (and even after), it is about safety. I'm speaking from personal experience.
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by d@v3 View Post
    The lady was acting irrationally which made her look suspicious (substance abuse?) in the first place. Then she went for her car which is something you do NOT do unless given permission or the document has been signed. She could have had a gun or other weapon in there under the seat or something. Safety trumps elderly. Safety also trumps ANY "policy" that is made. The officer used his discretion, I would have done the same thing. The taser did not harm her, so she has nothing to complain about anyway.

Safety (for the officer AND the suspect) is stressed A LOT during police academy, and you DON'T take chances. Every step of the way until those handcuffs are on (and even after), it is about safety. I'm speaking from personal experience.
    So, an officer's paranoia *as opposed to a realistic assesment of the actual situation and his capacity to handle it* is sufficient grounds for throwing approved procedure out of the window? I think not. Almost any police transgression can be justified using this kind of logic. Discretion exists to be used in a common sense manner, not abused. A police officer who disregards procedure, abuses his powers of discretion, uses poor judgement, and bleats about "safety" to cover his own ass when he gets caught out is merely exercising cognitive dissonance.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    ISTJ

Paranoia? If the officer had paranoia, why would he bother taking the chance of pulling some random crazy lady over in the first place? If he had paranoia he probably wouldn't be a police officer in the first place!

Discretion is also about thinking ahead about what the scenario could possibly turn into. Put yourself in the officers position, that lady wasn't acting normal, she could have run out into the road and gotten hit by a car and caused an accident that could potentially kill someone else and get even more people involved. Or she could have been trying to get a weapon under her seat. Either way, the taser was used to safely neutralize the situation before it could get worse. What would you have done? Tackled her to the ground so she could file a sexual harassment charge and file a lawsuit for possible injury? No, you use the harmless taser to subdue the subject, then you commence proper incarceration procedures.

As far as the policy goes, the policy IS safety, even if it is not physically written into the official handbook of your specific department, it is implied and as I said before, you are taught that it is the first priority at the academy.

Bottom line is: you want the LEAST amount of RISK [of injury or death] involved whatever it is you are doing.

Like I said in the last post, the taser was harmelss and there really was no safer way to calm her down.

Abuse of Power would be an officer using excessive or deadly force (when it was obvious that it wasn't necessary) or forcing her to do something inhumane or inappropriate. The officer was doing none of these things.
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    There are plenty of other issues raised by myself and others which those who think the officer's actions are justified are simply ignoring in their eagerness to say something along the lines of "she deserved it", which is a consideration not relevant to whether he was discharging his duties correctly.
    What level of force do you think is appropriate? Should the cop simply tag along like a puppy and try to sweet talk her into compliance? You're ignoring the fact that cops deal with many such incidences. There's no way to predict which will escalate into a life threatening situation.

There was a recent incident in which a woman pushed a teen into the path of a train to his death. You can't rule any belligerent individual out as a potential lethal threat.

I refer the advocates of police brutality and unprofessionalism posting in this thread to the Tazer use policy of the officer's own department, which he clearly violated on two, and possibly three points.
    The departmental policy on Tasering really makes little difference to this discussion. We are debating on what level of force ought to be considered appropriate, not whether Tasering her was compliant that department's written policy.

I'm sure her lawyer will be quick to capitalize on any legal angle available when she return with outstretched hands to demand money.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I guess the biggest gap in logic I see coming from the "it was justified" people is the fact that he could have easily controlled the old senile women with his two hands. Even a 10 year could have kept her from running away or getting back in her car and driving off. The only real threat that happened was the tasing itself, which can kill elderly people.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    What level of force do you think is appropriate? Should the cop simply tag along like a puppy and try to sweet talk her into compliance?
    Yes, if necessary. It's called "part of the job".

Diplomacy and tact are useful tools when dealing with dangerous and unruly 72-year-olds. Especially ones that have contravened highway laws by driving 15 mph over the limit.