User Tag List

View Poll Results: How well is Obama doing?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extremely well. We are undoubtedly moving in the right direction?

3 11.54%
  • Fairly well. There's still a long way to go.

9 34.62%
  • Not well at all. His plans are hurting more than helping.

10 38.46%
  • Not sure.

4 15.38%
123 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default How well is Obama doing with the economy?

The president's progress with the battered economy has been both praised and criticized. How well are his efforts measuring up with you?

I am going to say extremely well as I like Obama xD

MBTI
    ESFJ

The economy still kinda sucks, although the POTUS doesn't have nearly as much control over that as the media would have you believe.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    enfp

He's done a pretty good job so far.

He's made good appointments, based on talent, and not whether they agree with him or not. Its had some long term implications. Hasn't made any mistakes based on favoritism or donations from what I've seen so far. Although Geithner has made some mistakes, but is learning from them pretty well.

Obama's downfall will eventually be the people around him. But so far, its been pretty good considering how screwed up everything got beforehand.

People in the financial markets were really prepared for armaggedon back in 2008 Q4. Meaning, like a real possibility of Mad Max or Waterworld type of an economy. That's possibility is pretty much gone now.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Obama's influence over the economy is greatly exaggerated.

Dumping trillions of dollars into it isn't magically making it better. Although, lots of people believe it would be a lot worse without those trillions. But that is about as useful as saying "I'm using mental telepathy to keep aliens from attacking Earth".
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Dumping trillions of dollars into it isn't magically making it better. Although, lots of people believe it would be a lot worse without those trillions.
    So you suggest there is a more efficient way to invest that money? What is your point?

But that is about as useful as saying "I'm using mental telepathy to keep aliens from attacking Earth".
    Err... no. It seems obvious that the economy wouldn't recover without government subsidies. Do you think otherwise?

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The economy still kinda sucks, although the POTUS doesn't have nearly as much control over that as the media would have you believe.
    +1

Obama's influence over the economy is greatly exaggerated.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    So you suggest there is a more efficient way to invest that money? What is your point?

Err... no. It seems obvious that the economy wouldn't recover without government subsidies. Do you think otherwise?
    The subsidies come from us, so we are subsidizing ourselves. You know, we have troops in over 130 countries, right? Cutting spending and investing that saved money into paying off global debt would do wonders don't you think?

It was governmental mismanagement that made this happen in the first place. The first thing they teach you in Accounting 101 is pay off your debt before making new investments or opening other lines of credit.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post

Stimulus packages like Obama's 2009 stimulus is probably okay as long as it's limited to 2009. However, we are already seeing inflation start to kick in. For example, crude oil prices have risen dramatically and so has gasoline, gold, and other commodities. As the price of commodities increase so their eventual consumer goods will increase because the commodities are an integral component of consumer goods. As wages are unlikely to increase at the same pace as prices, consumers will be less able to afford consumer goods which will depress spending and thus fail to stimulate the economy. The government can only stimulate to a certain level. After which stimulation of the economy will cause more harm than good.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    +1

The subsidies come from us, so we are subsidizing ourselves.
    And that's how it should be in a democracy - we are self-governing, so we have to pay in to what we take out.

You know, we have troops in over 130 countries, right? Cutting spending and investing that saved money into paying off global debt would do wonders don't you think?
    I agree with this. One of the strongest points that I agree with in libertarianism (or Ron Paul "real Republicanism") is that too much money is dumped into military spending. Democrats are only slightly better on this issue than right-wing Conservatives. The current militaristic issue is a no-win situation.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    And that's how it should be in a democracy - we are self-governing, so we have to pay in to what we take out.

I agree with this. One of the strongest points that I agree with in libertarianism (or Ron Paul "real Republicanism") is that too much money is dumped into military spending. Democrats are only slightly better on this issue than right-wing Conservatives. The current militaristic issue is a no-win situation.
    I would rather keep my the majority of my tax money and decide where to place it, rather than let the government spend it into the ground... yet again.

But yeah, military spending for one. I can go on and on with more areas that need work, but there is no point...