User Tag List

View Poll Results: How well is Obama doing?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extremely well. We are undoubtedly moving in the right direction?

3 11.54%
  • Fairly well. There's still a long way to go.

9 34.62%
  • Not well at all. His plans are hurting more than helping.

10 38.46%
  • Not sure.

4 15.38%
First 123

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    You must be an Austrian theorist, because you're quoting from Reason magazine, a notoriously Libertarian, Austrian economic theorist magazine.
    That is retarded. Reason is an Austrian economic theorist magazine? Since when? You have no idea what you are talking about.

Here's a different take on the New Zealand "success": New Zealand "experiment" a colossal failure - Jane Kelsey
    I don't think that an associate professor of law is the first person I'd quote when talking about economics. Especially when the person is a complete and total ideologue:

The cultural deficit

Within a decade, the country and the lives of its people were turned upside down. This right-wing revolution--bloodless, but devastating for those who became its victims--had been prosecuted in the name of "the nation as a whole." Constant references to national wealth, national well-being, and national self-interest sought to submerge deep inequalities into an amorphous whole. Along the way, the nation in whose name the experiment was carried out was irreversibly changed, raising vital concerns about identity, sovereignty, and foreign control.

The ethos of the market pervaded everyday life. Even the language was captured, dehumanizing the people and communities it affected. It became acceptable to talk of "shedding workers," as if they were so much dead skin. "Incentives" meant cutting benefits to force people into low-paying jobs. "Broadening the tax base" meant shifting the tax burden from the rich to the poor. "Freeing up the market" meant removing all impediments to profit-making. "Deinstitutionalization" meant closing state institutions and shifting responsibility for their occupants to poor families and communities. "An open economy" meant welcoming foreign purchasers of the country's assets and resources. "International competitiveness" meant competing with countries whose economies are based on prison and child labour, grinding poverty, and environmental degradation.

That is not the language of an objective critic of policies.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I would rather keep my the majority of my tax money and decide where to place it, rather than let the government spend it into the ground... yet again.

But yeah, military spending for one. I can go on and on with more areas that need work, but there is no point...
    According to Keynes, the cyclical nature of the economy can be smoothed out by Government spending or Government saving.

So the Government acts as a giant fly-wheel to the economy.

It doesn't matter what the spending is. It can be on the military of social welfare - each can act as a fly-wheel.

The US though has entrenched military spending as the fly-wheel.

As an ally of the US we have no objection to this as we benefit from a stable US economy as well as a powerful military.

However if I were a US citizen, I would prefer that social welfare be the fly-wheel.

However this is not ideologically possible.

The best that a US citizen can hope for is strong military spending together with an improved social welfare spending.

I am afraid you will have to leave the welfare fly-wheel to us.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    According to Keynes, the cyclical nature of the economy can be smoothed out by Government spending or Government saving.

So the Government acts as a giant fly-wheel to the economy.

It doesn't matter what the spending is. It can be on the military of social welfare - each can act as a fly-wheel.

The US though has entrenched military spending as the fly-wheel.

As an ally of the US we have no objection to this as we benefit from a stable US economy as well as a powerful military.

However if I were a US citizen, I would prefer that social welfare be the fly-wheel.

However this is not ideologically possible.

The best that a US citizen can hope for is strong military spending together with an improved social welfare spending.

I am afraid you will have to leave the social welfare fly-wheel to us.

Keynes wasn't that great.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That is retarded. Reason is an Austrian economic theorist magazine? Since when? You have no idea what you are talking about.

I don't think that an associate professor of law is the first person I'd quote when talking about economics. Especially when the person is a complete and total ideologue:

The cultural deficit

Within a decade, the country and the lives of its people were turned upside down. This right-wing revolution--bloodless, but devastating for those who became its victims--had been prosecuted in the name of "the nation as a whole." Constant references to national wealth, national well-being, and national self-interest sought to submerge deep inequalities into an amorphous whole. Along the way, the nation in whose name the experiment was carried out was irreversibly changed, raising vital concerns about identity, sovereignty, and foreign control.

The ethos of the market pervaded everyday life. Even the language was captured, dehumanizing the people and communities it affected. It became acceptable to talk of "shedding workers," as if they were so much dead skin. "Incentives" meant cutting benefits to force people into low-paying jobs. "Broadening the tax base" meant shifting the tax burden from the rich to the poor. "Freeing up the market" meant removing all impediments to profit-making. "Deinstitutionalization" meant closing state institutions and shifting responsibility for their occupants to poor families and communities. "An open economy" meant welcoming foreign purchasers of the country's assets and resources. "International competitiveness" meant competing with countries whose economies are based on prison and child labour, grinding poverty, and environmental degradation.

That is not the language of an objective critic of policies.
    Neither is calling people retarded just because they disagree with your political views. I guess the facts of how real human lives are damaged by a failed political ideology isn't "objective" because it doesn't ring true for you with Objectivism in the most Randian sense of the word. Reason is a libertarian publication. To call it anything else is like claiming that Fox news is actually fair and balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Keynes wasn't that great.
    They say that stagflation spelt the death of Keynesianism.

However when the economic crisis struck, Kev our PM, invoked Keynes and distributed large amounts of money to the poor and to building government infrastructure rather than giving it to the banks.

So far it has worked and we are not technically in recession.

So Keynes is alive and well here, as is social welfare.

We have had 18 years of uninterrupted growth, so our Treasury had a huge surplus which we have now spent to balance out the economy.

Why, just the other day we knocked back untold billions of dollars from the Chinese Government when they wanted to buy a resource company.

But time will tell how our strategy works. In the meantime we expect Kev to go for an early election in case things turn bad.

So as I always say, vote early and vote often.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Neither is calling people retarded just because they disagree with your political views. I guess the facts of how real human lives are damaged by a failed political ideology isn't "objective" because it doesn't ring true for you with Objectivism in the most Randian sense of the word. Reason is a libertarian publication. To call it anything else is like claiming that Fox news is actually fair and balanced.

Reason is not an "Austrian economic" publication as you claimed. That is completely false. You are either misinformed, or you are being disingenuous. And what does Objectivism have to do with anything?