User Tag List

12 Last

Default Superheroes Anonymous: A Modern Phenomenon

CNN Article

Mr. Ravenblade, Mr. Xtreme, Dark Guardian and hundreds of others. Some with elaborate costumes, others with haphazardly stitched outfits, they are appearing on city streets worldwide watching over the populace like Superman watched over Metropolis and Batman over Gotham City.

As people become disillusioned from financial woes and a downtrodden economy and look to put new purpose in their lives, everyday folks are taking on new personas to perform community service, help the homeless and even fight crime.

"The movement is growing," said Ben Goldman, a real-life superhero historian. Goldman, along with Chaim "Life" Lazaros and David "Civitron" Civitarese, runs the New York-based Web site Superheroes Anonymous as part of an initiative dedicated to organizing and making alliances with superhero groups.
    Superheroes Anonymous Site

This is the first I've heard of this and really, I'm more stunned at the size and momentum of the movement rather than its happening at all. Superheroes have been on the brain for a lot of people with all the comic story film revivals in the past several years. (See current avatar.) Personally, I'd settle for good samaritanism sans the cape, but I'm willing to make concessions if this inspires people to care about their communities again. My concern is negative potentials, so I'm wary of it. What do you all think? Is this harmless? Or, does the wiggle room for this to go awry make you uneasy?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTJ

But... they don't have any superpowers...

"Whether distributing sandwiches to the homeless, volunteering with other non-profit and charitable organizations, planning and taking part in events or patrolling the streets with an ever-watchful eye, a superheroes’ work is never over."

It's cosplay and charity work.

Totally harmless and totally impotent.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    ... totally impotent.
    Not to the person who gets a sandwich.

... still, I was hoping I'd get to run around in stretchy tights and kick someone's butt.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

As long as they're not dressing up as real law enforcement and stop after their third trip to the emergency room.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    INTJ

What I meant by impotence is that dressing up in a costume doesn't make your charity work any more effective.

If they aren't doing vigilante work then the costumes are just for fun.

This doesn't mean I'm not currently designing my own.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

"We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Here's hoping that some idiots don't get a bright idea and start going around being supervillains. That's all we need.

I applaud these people though, if with a bit of a weird smile on my face. Only the good samaritan kind though.. I'm not a fan of vigilante justice.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

actually im surprised this hasn't happened SOONER and with even more emerging prominance....

I mean, everyone loves heroes, they are heavily idolized, and there's all kinds of problems, social injustices and other shit cluttering up and burdening the modern human mind, right? Just seems natural to me...

I just wonder how effective a real life human could be at like, you know, "being batman"? Most of these guys are probably retards and will succum to death when they get into their first real fight with a criminal, but what about the former green beret that wants to unfuck his community and takes the task up himself ,to effectively become a superhero of sorts? I can see some stories coming up in the future....

Someone like "The Punisher" is probably the most realistic if you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    actually im surprised this hasn't happened SOONER and with even more emerging prominance....

I mean, everyone loves heroes, they are heavily idolized, and there's all kinds of problems, social injustices and other shit cluttering up and burdening the modern human mind, right? Just seems natural to me...

I just wonder how effective a real life human could be at like, you know, "being batman"? Most of these guys are probably retards and will succum to death when they get into their first real fight with a criminal, but what about the former green beret that wants to unfuck his community and takes the task up himself ,to effectively become a superhero of sorts? I can see some stories coming up in the future....

Someone like "The Punisher" is probably the most realistic if you think about it.
    I'm not familiar with that comic. Wasn't that made into a movie awhile back?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I'm not familiar with that comic. Wasn't that made into a movie awhile back?
    yeah. its also one of the "nightmare" situations you fear, because Frank Castle is a pretty indiscriminant killer. His maxim basically boils down to: If you're a criminal, you deserve to die.