MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    this thread isn't going anywhere.

do you guys have any suggestions? change the title, oor the discussion maybe.

ideas, give me ideas.
    Which is the worlds most ancient existing tribe? perhaps. Or descendants from tribes that have some remaining tangible proof. Or even untangible such as surviving rituals/habits or traces of language that can be either connected to surrounding ones or completely unrelated.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    And I take it from your comment that you consider "race" to not be connected with genetics? That's absurd on the face of it.

"Race" may be an outmoded and imprecise term, but it by no means follows that the term is meaningless. Rather, it's much more accurate to say that the concept is profoundly distasteful to post-modern culture, which considers itself above such things.
    Do some reading. You're using logic to parse an answer from what you think you already know. But it's in conflict with reality. Race is connected with genetics, but the reality is that it describes only the most superficial and easily defined characteristics. Skin color and morphology tell you nearly nothing about the individual.

I have an ex-GF who married a Nigerian. Their son has both black and white ancestry. but she is also 1/8 Native American. So what is the son's race? He looks black, but that is only the superficial answer. And what's the point of defining his race at all? To determine, say, his risk for sicle cell disease? Well that's genetic, and has little to do with the degree of melanin in the skin of his papa, or the shape of his facial bones, or however you define race.
    Only an analysis of his DNA will provide an answer, and that has nothing to with race.
    BTW, I'm not trying to imply that you are a racist at all. just that the basis of your question is flawed.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Do some reading. You're using logic to parse an answer from what you think you already know. But it's in conflict with reality. Race is connected with genetics, but the reality is that it describes only the most superficial and easily defined characteristics. Skin color and morphology tell you nearly nothing about the individual.
    Do some critical thinking. You're attempting to point out that because individuals can be difficult to categorize, the categories themselves are meaningless.

Useless for all practical purposes, yes. Used for the wrong reasons, yes. Pressed into the service of hateful ideologies, yes... but meaningless? I think that requires further inquiry.

After all, when I say Melanesian, or Caucasian, or Mestizo, or Ashkenazi, you do after all know what I mean... and those traits that identify one's "race," for lack of a better term, are inextricably linked with ancestry and genes.

Why do we talk about poodles, beagles, and Irish setters, instead of declaring "biologically there's no such thing as breed" and talk only of individual dogs? Because in terms of dog breeding, the concept of "breed" is useful. In terms of humans, the idea takes us places we don't want to go.

That's fine... I don't want to go there either... but to assert that the very concept is meaningless is intellectually dishonest.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

The older the existing language, the more likely it is to have the 3rd person singular case marking to be naked within its synthetic verbs declension.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Do some critical thinking. You're attempting to point out that because individuals can be difficult to categorize, the categories themselves are meaningless.

Useless for all practical purposes, yes. Used for the wrong reasons, yes. Pressed into the service of hateful ideologies, yes... but meaningless? I think that requires further inquiry.

After all, when I say Melanesian, or Caucasian, or Mestizo, or Ashkenazi, you do after all know what I mean... and those traits that identify one's "race," for lack of a better term, are inextricably linked with ancestry and genes.

Why do we talk about poodles, beagles, and Irish setters, instead of declaring "biologically there's no such thing as breed" and talk only of individual dogs? Because in terms of dog breeding, the concept of "breed" is useful. In terms of humans, the idea takes us places we don't want to go.

That's fine... I don't want to go there either... but to assert that the very concept is meaningless is intellectually dishonest.
    Calm down.
    I never said the word 'meaningless'. You did. I said it was largely useless as a way of classifying humans.
    Dogs? Yes, breeds are meaningful for dogs, because humans want to breed them to accentuate superficial characteristics. Unless you plan on breeding humans, I don't see the connection.
    I also never said that it was politically incorrect to mention race. You did that. You seem to be arguing with the voices in your head.
    My ability to think critically is fine. It's yours that concerns me. Actually, it doesn't concern me at all...

Oberon

I also never said that it was politically incorrect to mention race. You did that. You seem to be arguing with the voices in your head.
    SSSH! They're talking to me again!

(actually, one of them sounds uncannily like Jennifer.)

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

SSSH! They're talking to me again!

(actually, one of them sounds uncannily like Jennifer.)
    You hear her too?

Oberon

You hear her too?
    What? She talks to you too?!?

Has my favorite schizophrenic symptom has been two-timing us?

MBTI
    NICE

Fire. I am the God of Hell Fire.

And I bring you fire.

Edit: BC Online: 3B - Polysaccharides

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Elves I think.

The race of Quinlans can trace their heritage back before the stone age...
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations