User Tag List

123 Last

Oberon

Default PUTIN DISSOLVES RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT.

This ought to be on all the news outlets by now. Vladimir Putin has sent his government packing, leaving him with essentially absolute power until he decides otherwise.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next. If I were living in Poland I'd be nervous.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

This could be as close to a typical dissolution of parliament as is possible in Russia. Wire reports indicate the strongman's intention to ensconce a protégé in advance of elections. While not exactly the gesture of a democratist, that is far from a protraction of Putin's rule -- let alone a total consolidation of power.

Poland, for its part, has nothing to fear from a broken-down military.

Oberon

Well, good. Thank you for the perspective.

MBTI
    INTJ

Doesn't anyone have an relevant articles? I found some that said that he appointed a nobody Prime Minister (which I pretty much expected, puppet style), but I would like to see where the dissolution of gov't info is coming from.

I remember taking a Politics of Russia/CIS class two years ago and my professor telling us that he expected Putin to either put a puppet in power or change the constitution to extend his term. All that he's done isn't necessarily bad, but it is bad for democracy (which may or may not be a good thing in a nation used to dictatorships).
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Oberon

MBTI
    INTJ

Thanks.

I would hate to be a leading member of the opposing party in the future.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ISTP

Errmm... I read that article and about a half dozen more. What is so alarming about this?

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Errmm... I read that article and about a half dozen more. What is so alarming about this?
    The fact that someone who may have poisoned his competitor, and a critic, and is in charge now of a Nuclear weapons, as well as The Father of All Bombs possibly without safeguards.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Subsequent reading has informed me that this isn't quite the coup I first thought it to be, but a legal (if unusual) turn of events. Analysts seem to agree that it's a process by which Putin can maintain influence after his term as President has expired, until the statutory four years have elapsed and he can run for President again.

So, to answer your question, 'nothing much.'

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    The fact that someone who may have poisoned his competitor, and a critic, and is in charge now of a Nuclear weapons, as well as The Father of All Bombs possibly without safeguards.
    Hmmm, I didn't read that in any of the articles...

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    Subsequent reading has informed me that this isn't quite the coup I first thought it to be, but a legal (if unusual) turn of events. Analysts seem to agree that it's a process by which Putin can maintain influence after his term as President has expired, until the statutory four years have elapsed and he can run for President again.

So, to answer your question, 'nothing much.'

Ok I was starting to doubt my ability to understand things.