User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Capitalism Makes Us Better People

This is a Will Wilkinson article in the Cato Policy Report. It's rather short, and it relies quite a bit on other material, but the points made are important for people to realize/remember. Full disclosure: Will Wilkinson and his fiancee (Kerry Howley) are facebook/IM friends of mine, and a close friend of mine was recently an intern at Cato. BTW, doesn't Will look like Cillian Murphy as The Scarecrow in that pic?

http://www.cato.org/pubs/policy_repo.../cpr31n3-3.pdf
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Oberon

Merc, I should have known you'd have friends at Cato. I wish I did.

This is the only Cato with which I am familiar:

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

It would be more honest and accurate to say Age of Enlightenment thinking and the rise of liberal democracy that came out of it has more to do with the increase in civility and peace than capitalism does. Free-markets did play a role in this at first, but now classical liberalism is over and we have moved away from the heyday of capitalism into more balanced mixed markets. So now, as we become less brutal and more civil, we have been moving away from capitalism.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    [assorted bullshit]
    Interesting. I need to do some research.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Interesting. I need to do some research.
    If you think you can read, go for it. Start with classical liberalism and work your way up.

MBTI
    ESFJ

It would be more honest and accurate to say Age of Enlightenment thinking and the rise of liberal democracy that came out of it has more to do with the increase in civility and peace than capitalism does. Free-markets did play a role in this at first, but now classical liberalism is over and we have moved away from the heyday of capitalism into more balanced mixed markets. So now, as we become less brutal and more civil, we have been moving away from capitalism.

I don't know that that's true, and your last sentence is completely false. As we've gone over before, the most closed-off and government-directed economies in the world are also amongst the most brutal. It's far more accurate to say that there is now a greater spectrum in the size of the welfare state amongst liberal democracies.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I don't know that that's true, and your last sentence is completely false. As we've gone over before, the most closed-off and government-directed economies in the world are also amongst the most brutal. It's far more accurate to say that there is now a greater spectrum in the size of the welfare state amongst liberal democracies.
    I was essentially referring the US and Europe and other developed nations, and their mixed markets and welfare states. Compared to when classical liberalism was more popular in these places, the developed world is now less brutal and more civil.

So it's liberal democracy in general that has remained constant in the brutal-to-peaceful shift, not capitalism.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I was essentially referring the US and Europe and other developed nations, and their mixed markets and welfare states. Compared to when classical liberalism was more popular in these places, the developed world is now less brutal and more civil.
    In some ways, yes, in others, no. The United States, for instance, has become far more aggressive militarily and geopolitically the further it has moved from its classical liberal roots. Also, capitalism is alive and well, even in those "mixed markets" you love to vaunt. As I've stated countless times, Western and Northern Europe have very capitalistic economic entities, they just have a more extensive welfare state welded to their economic framework. We aren't "moving away" from capitalism. In fact, the world is far more capitalistic than it was just thirty years ago.

So it's liberal democracy in general that has remained constant in the brutal-to-peaceful shift, not capitalism.
    I don't know about that, either. Globalization has done wonders for the movement of people, resources, and cultural knowledge, and the profit motive has been the driving force behind globalization.
    Capitalism is a major part of that.

MBTI
    INTJ

You cannot infer cause from correlations. But if you look at the most capitalistic countries in the Western world, are they really the countries with the most moral, agreeable and helpful people? I guess most Americans believe so...
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang Amadé Mozart

Oberon

Compared to when classical liberalism was more popular in these places, the developed world is now less brutal and more civil.
    This statement appears to correlate a wane in brutality with a wane in the popularity of classical liberalism.

Is my interpretation a correct assessment of the quote?