User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Food insurance

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default Food insurance

Many people believe that humans have a right to food. So, what would happen if insurances companies started offering food insurance? Let's say that instead of paying for food directly, you would pay a premium and receive vouchers for food items.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

No. The insurance companies could then have the ability to say what I could buy, when I could buy, where..etc. The only place I want insurance company involved with my food is reimbursing for loss when a claim is filed.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Many people believe that humans have a right to food. So, what would happen if insurances companies started offering food insurance? Let's say that instead of paying for food directly, you would pay a premium and receive vouchers for food items.
    Hmm... how does insurance lead to "right to food"? Wouldn't that involve giving everyone food vouchers from the government?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Food insurance would cause more people to starve if the state of health insurance is any example of how it would work. Bad idea - seems like cruelty in the guise of beneficence.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Why would people starve? I'm looking for an explanation of the economic mechanisms.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Why would people starve? I'm looking for an explanation of the economic mechanisms.
    Because insurance companies raise premiums in order to generate profits for themselves, thereby making the product they insure LESS accessable, not more. Millions of Americans are without health insurance because they can't afford it - and that includes hard working, relatively well paid middle class Americans. If you don't think something similar would happen with food insurance, that's quite naiive.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Because insurance companies raise premiums in order to generate profits for themselves, thereby making the product they insure LESS accessable, not more. Millions of Americans are without health insurance because they can't afford it - and that includes hard working, relatively well paid middle class Americans. If you don't think something similar would happen with food insurance, that's quite naiive.
    You're only partially correct. Insurance companies raise premiums to generate a profit, but the reason that's required is because their costs increase (not because they're greedy assholes).

Let's say milk currently costs $3.29/gallon. Under the current system, if supermarkets/milk producers/etc. raised the price of milk to $3.39, they would see a corresponding decrease in sales (and possible reduction in profit) because fewer consumers are willing to pay the higher price. Under my proposal the cost system is circumvented. Because consumers pay premiums and receive vouchers, rather than paying for food directly, milk producers wouldn't see a corresponding reduction in sales when they increase prices. This would cause the costs incurred by the insurance companies to increase, forcing them to raise premiums (or go out of business).

The problem with this sort of system isn't that insurance companies are evil or greedy, it's that any system like this doesn't allow cost information to flow freely. There's a buffer between producer and consumer.

My next question is, would getting the government involved (perhaps creating a universal food insurance program) fix the problems with the system?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Hmm... how does insurance lead to "right to food"? Wouldn't that involve giving everyone food vouchers from the government?
    Exactly.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Why would people buy this insurance?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I didn't phrase my original post very well. Try to not get caught up in meaningless details.