User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 89

Thread: Food insurance

  1. #31
    DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    Hype
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    so wait, whats the benefit of puting MORE money into food? less of it goes into bullshit, bourgeoisie crap like insuring your beamer and the million dollar condo in miami?

    I dunno, i think that's backwards. People should be spending LESS money on food, not more. Do you think if people spent more on money on food in a social manner, that it would somehow become more of a sharing kind of thing? Because the insurance company itself isn't gonna do shit mang.

    One great offset of this is people would be much more scrutinous and frugal with food purchases. But I'm not sure I like that because I do that enough as is, lol, not to mention you already have the NFPs whining about this :P

    This is a really hard sell my friend, at least in the US.

  2. #32
    DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    Hype
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    Ok so I think I get your idea now : raise the amount of money that consumers put into buying a product, and companies will adapt to bring that product? Companies follow money, not human necessity, right?

    actually fuck that , companies dont follow money, money follows the demands.... you want a "crack cocaine" effect on food, right? Increasing the purity and quality of said good by making the product more expensive, more restrained?!

    People would straight up die from this dude, even if in the end it saved lives. But I think im getting your approach

  3. #33
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Free food?
    But it's not free. You're paying a premium.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  4. #34
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    so wait, whats the benefit of puting MORE money into food? less of it goes into bullshit, bourgeoisie crap like insuring your beamer and the million dollar condo in miami?

    I dunno, i think that's backwards. People should be spending LESS money on food, not more. Do you think if people spent more on money on food in a social manner, that it would somehow become more of a sharing kind of thing? Because the insurance company itself isn't gonna do shit mang.

    One great offset of this is people would be much more scrutinous and frugal with food purchases. But I'm not sure I like that because I do that enough as is, lol, not to mention you already have the NFPs whining about this :P

    This is a really hard sell my friend, at least in the US.
    /facepalm

    I obviously failed miserably at providing an illustration as to why more insurance isn't the solution to health care problems in the US. I was trying to show how insurance only serves to increase costs in the long run. I thought the concept of food insurance would be simple enough for people to grasp the economics. I was obviously wrong. Instead people latch on to pointless tangents and go off in their own direction (see Haphazard and marmalade).
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  5. #35
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    /facepalm

    I obviously failed miserably at providing an illustration as to why more insurance isn't the solution to health care problems in the US. I was trying to show how insurance only serves to increase costs in the long run. I thought the concept of food insurance would be simple enough for people to grasp the economics. I was obviously wrong. Instead people latch on to pointless tangents and go off in their own direction (see Haphazard and marmalade).
    Well, I'm sorry for being retarded.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  6. #36
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    But it's not free. You're paying a premium.
    Wow. Just wow. Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to a wall. You're totally missing the point.

    The only reason I said the employer could provide it is because that's exactly what happened with medical insurance after WWII.

    Btw, in case you didn't know, employees haven't always directly paid medical insurance premiums. Originally, employers covered the entire bill and Congress wanted to tax that as additional income (for employees), until they realized how unpopular that would be. That's how medical insurance became tied to employment.

    I'm not trying to implement a new system. I'm trying to demonstrate how absurd the current system is. So I see questions on how it would be implemented as a waste of time.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  7. #37
    DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    Hype
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    /facepalm

    I obviously failed miserably at providing an illustration as to why more insurance isn't the solution to health care problems in the US. I was trying to show how insurance only serves to increase costs in the long run. I thought the concept of food insurance would be simple enough for people to grasp the economics. I was obviously wrong. Instead people latch on to pointless tangents and go off in their own direction (see Haphazard and marmalade).
    haha, but you did illustrate some things you garnered gatsby's scrutiny and mine at least....... but you're not an ENTP yet young skywalker !


    The question of the day is: when will Fight Club blow up State Farm?

  8. #38
    Senior Member Jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Of course it's nonsensical, just like medical insurance (outside of catastrophic medical insurance) is nonsensical.
    So basically, you're saying insurance in general is stupid. You're using food as an example, to make your point. I get it.

    People wouldn't need food insurance because food is affordable (at least for most people, and especially compared to health care), and it's something that can be consistently budgeted - your food costs, while they may vary from month to month, are generally set in place. Health care isn't. Insurance allows us to put a set price on how much our health care will cost us for a given month, without having to worry about even catastrophies. One bad month (let's say you break your leg) could cost you $5000 or more. That is a large up-front cost. With insurance, your costs are spread out over time, without having to worry about the extent of your damages. It can either be the worst deal ever (if you never use it) or the best deal ever (gigantic medical bills that you cannot cover, such as a heart attack).

    That's not going to happen with food, because your intake of food is not something that is going to hugely variate. Health care, on the other hand, does, and it is mostly there for peace of mind, even if it does end up being a bad investment in the long run. Food just isn't expensive enough or sporadic enough to merit an insurance system like health care has.

    Personally, I feel that if costs were more moderated (say, to the levels that are charged in India or other developing nations) then health care insurance wouldn't be required. But one bad incident in America would set you back thousands of dollars - I've heard of bills of over $200,000 being sent to cancer and heart disease patients. And there's not really a choice; barring going out of country, health care is always going to be that expensive. With food, you can make the choice to eat less or spend less on it. You can't do that with health care. Insurance keeps the costs stable for the person purchasing it.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

    Fonewearl and proud of it!

    I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

  9. #39
    DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    Hype
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    His point is that medical insurance companies feed off of a populus who can barely afford it and cater to another populus who can. You can see the obvious ethical dilemma, no? A population of poor who are forced to buy into medical insurance just to survive/get basic treatment LOSE MONEY BY PAYING MORE THAN WHAT THEY RECEIVE. Think about it.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    So basically, you're saying insurance in general is stupid. You're using food as an example, to make your point. I get it.
    No, not at all. Insurance must be used properly. It's useful for events that are unpredictable and catastrophic. That's why it works for homes, autos, life, etc. That's why it doesn't work for routine medical expenditures. Catastrophic medical insurance would actually work quite well, if that was the only type available.

    People wouldn't need food insurance because food is affordable (at least for most people, and especially compared to health care), and it's something that can be consistently budgeted - your food costs, while they may vary from month to month, are generally set in place. Health care isn't. Insurance allows us to put a set price on how much our health care will cost us for a given month, without having to worry about even catastrophies. One bad month (let's say you break your leg) could cost you $5000 or more. That is a large up-front cost. With insurance, your costs are spread out over time, without having to worry about the extent of your damages. It can either be the worst deal ever (if you never use it) or the best deal ever (gigantic medical bills that you cannot cover, such as a heart attack).
    And medical expenditures used to be much cheaper, before insurance.

    That's not going to happen with food, because your intake of food is not something that is going to hugely variate. Health insurance, on the other hand, does, and it is mostly there for peace of mind, even if it does end up being a bad investment in the long run. Food just isn't expensive enough or sporadic enough to merit an insurance system like health care has.
    There are many medical expenditures which do not vary much and are predictable, like prenatal care.

    Personally, I feel that if costs were more moderated (say, to the levels that are charged in India or other developing nations) then health care insurance wouldn't be required. But one bad incident in America would set you back thousands of dollars - I've heard of bills of over $200,000 being sent to cancer and heart disease patients. And there's not really a choice; barring going out of country, health care is always going to be that expensive. With food, you can make the choice to eat less or spend less on it. You can't do that with health care. Insurance keeps the costs stable for the person purchasing it.
    What I would like to see is for only catastrophic insurance to be sold. That would cover the instances where someone has cancer and ends up with $200,000 in medical bills. Having insurance involved with more predictable things, like prescription drugs, only adds unnecessary costs.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Similar Threads

  1. Avoiding Chinese food nearly impossible.
    By Athenian200 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 08:10 PM
  2. [SP] Improviser-Artisan-SP (Food For Thought)
    By "?" in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 10:51 AM
  3. Holiday Food
    By Randomnity in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 10:08 PM
  4. Interesting Food and Health Blog
    By reason in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 12:19 AM
  5. Pot Pies: Food of the Gods?
    By Ivy in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 12:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO