First 1234 Last

Thread: Food insurance

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Why would people buy this insurance?
    What if companies offered it as a tax-free benefit to entice employees?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    What if companies offered it as a tax-free benefit to entice employees?
    I suppose I don't quite understand. The reason why insurance works and is generally a good idea is because of incidents that require sudden attention and costly services. I mean, medical insurance may pay for parts of normal visits, but still it's for emergencies.

What is this 'food insurance' for? I mean, unless you suddenly become pregnant or your doctor tells you you need to drastically change your diet, food expenses don't change much from month to month. I don't get why someone would choose to pay a premium instead of just pay for normal grocery expenses.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I didn't phrase my original post very well. Try to not get caught up in meaningless details.
    So what did you mean by "right to food"? Can you re-phrase it?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

A tax-free benefit to entice employees? I think you're probably insane. Yes, you are insane. Or you're joking. You can't be serious. Wait, yes you can. You believe in Austrian economic theory...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I suppose I don't quite understand. The reason why insurance works and is generally a good idea is because of incidents that require sudden attention and costly services. I mean, medical insurance may pay for parts of normal visits, but still it's for emergencies.
    You are correct that the proper use is for unpredictable and catastrophic events.

What is this 'food insurance' for? I mean, unless you suddenly become pregnant or your doctor tells you you need to drastically change your diet, food expenses don't change much from month to month. I don't get why someone would choose to pay a premium instead of just pay for normal grocery expenses.
    Like I said in a previous post, let's say that companies started offering this benefit in order to attract employees. That's a pretty big deal, to remove someone's grocery expense.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    A tax-free benefit to entice employees? I think you're probably insane. Yes, you are insane. Or you're joking. You can't be serious. Wait, yes you can. You believe in Austrian economic theory...
    Why would this be insane? Something similar has been done before, with medical insurance. After WWII, companies offered tax-free medical insurance to attract employees. At one point, Congress made a move to tax it, but that was very unpopular so they backed off.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

But by removing their grocery expense you put the cost of the insurance in place of it, so...how is that valid? Especially since people need groceries every day, unlike how they visit the doctor once and while and have emergencies rarely. Grocery stores don't even do this for their employees - not even unionized grocery stores.

Besides, we live in the fattest nation in the world. Who the hell needs food insurance?

YOU. ARE. JOKING.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    But by removing their grocery expense you put the cost of the insurance in place of it, so...how is that valid? Especially since people need groceries every day, unlike how they visit the doctor once and while and have emergencies rarely. Grocery stores don't even do this for their employees - not even unionized grocery stores.

Besides, we live in the fattest nation in the world. Who the hell needs food insurance?

YOU. ARE. JOKING.
    Why do we do it for medical prescriptions?

The frequency of use is actually irrelevant. What is relevant is predictability.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Like I said in a previous post, let's say that companies started offering this benefit in order to entice employees. That's a pretty big deal, to remove someone's grocery expense.
    But let's look at how people buy food. They buy staples like milk and bread, yes, but a lot of money now goes to incidentals (snacks in the vending machine, etc) and especially unhealthy instant foods. If this 'insurance' is to guarantee foods that are good for you, how does that work if you live in one of the 'food deserts' where fresh food is difficult to reach? Does one have to travel to far-flung places to use this insurance? Also, not all produce is created equal. At the super-walmart around here, all the produce is moldy. That could be a liability for the insurance providers -- they'd have to tell walmart to improve their produce, which, if they did, would increase the cost of produce, which would increase the cost of insurance...

Also with food insurance, if you get it, you'll probably be paying a premium for food you're not buying, or for prices in a place you don't live. If you buy a plan, but you're Muslim and they give you a voucher for bacon, what do you do? Will the insurance company refund it? If you live in a place where food is relatively cheap, but the insurance company is national, are you paying for rates for your area, or for somewhere else? At least if you buy your own groceries, you know exactly what you're paying for.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

But let's look at how people buy food. They buy staples like milk and bread, yes, but a lot of money now goes to incidentals (snacks in the vending machine, etc) and especially unhealthy instant foods. If this 'insurance' is to guarantee foods that are good for you, how does that work if you live in one of the 'food deserts' where fresh food is difficult to reach? Does one have to travel to far-flung places to use this insurance? Also, not all produce is created equal. At the super-walmart around here, all the produce is moldy. That could be a liability for the insurance providers -- they'd have to tell walmart to improve their produce, which, if they did, would increase the cost of produce, which would increase the cost of insurance...

Also with food insurance, if you get it, you'll probably be paying a premium for food you're not buying, or for prices in a place you don't live. If you buy a plan, but you're Muslim and they give you a voucher for bacon, what do you do? Will the insurance company refund it? If you live in a place where food is relatively cheap, but the insurance company is national, are you paying for rates for your area, or for somewhere else? At least if you buy your own groceries, you know exactly what you're paying for.
    These are details that don't concern me right now.

What would happen to the price of food if a system like this was put into place?