User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    I

Default Man pushes suicide jumper off a bridge

Link: Man pushes would-be China suicide off bridge: media | International | Reuters

BEIJING (Reuters) - A Chinese man was pushed off a bridge by an angry passer-by after his threat to commit suicide held up traffic for five hours, Chinese media reported on Saturday.

Retired soldier Lian Jiansheng, 66, broke through a police cordon and reached out to shake the hand of would-be jumper Chen Fuchao before shoving him off the bridge.

"I pushed him off because jumpers like Chen are very selfish. Their action violates a lot of public interests," Lai was quoted as saying by the China Daily newspaper.

"They do not really dare to kill themselves. Instead, they just want to raise the relevant government authorities' attention to their appeals."

Chen, 2 million yuan ($293,200) in debt because of a failed building project, fell 8 meters (yards) onto a partially inflated emergency air cushion and was hospitalized with wrist and back injuries. Lai was detained by police.

Chen was at least the twelfth person since early April to threaten suicide at the same spot, the Haizhu bridge in Guangzhou. But none jumped and -- until Lian gave Chen a helping hand -- none was pushed.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

That article gives new meaning to the term, "helping hand".

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Wyst View Post
    That article gives new meaning to the term, "helping hand".
    oh, good one, wyst. hah! tho this is too macabre for me to even think about.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Aside from the tragedy of suicide, the most compelling bit of data was the selected quote snippet, seemingly offered as a would-be justification from the 'pusher' / Lian Jiansheng.

"I pushed him off because jumpers like Chen are very selfish. Their action violates a lot of public interests,"

"They do not really dare to kill themselves. Instead, they just want to raise the relevant government authorities' attention to their appeals..."

Suggests a great deal about Jiansheng's personal value system and what he ascertains to be a culturally-appropriate punitive response to behavior threatening stable governance.

Could be less - perhaps Jiansheng is simply a psychopath, acting on his own accord to disseminate his personal M.O., which in no way reflects the social system of his origin. After all, the story was bizarre enough to earn a position in Reuters...

Fascinating, nonetheless.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Aside from the tragedy of suicide, the most compelling bit of data was the selected quote snippet, seemingly offered as a would-be justification from the 'pusher' / Lian Jiansheng.

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    oh, good one, wyst. hah! tho this is too macabre for me to even think about.
    Did you guys miss that the suicide pushee only hurt his wrist and got bruised? Had he actually died, I wouldn't have made such a comment.

MBTI
    NICE

"I pushed him off because jumpers like Chen are very selfish. Their action violates a lot of public interests,"

"They do not really dare to kill themselves. Instead, they just want to raise the relevant government authorities' attention to their appeals..."

Suggests a great deal about Jiansheng's personal value system and what he ascertains to be a culturally-appropriate punitive response to behavior threatening stable governance.

Could be less - perhaps Jiansheng is simply a psychopath, acting on his own accord to disseminate his personal M.O., which in no way reflects the social system of his origin. After all, the story was bizarre enough to earn a position in Reuters...

Interesting. Jiansheng was propounding his value system in an active manner.

The following is unusual: Suicide teenager urged to jump by baying crowd - Telegraph

The crowd urged the lad to jump (which he did - killing himself) but it appears to be passive - and indicitive of an absence of a value system by the onlookers.

Don't expect any sympathy from a busy commuter or a crowd of British scumbags.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

I agree with the fact that people who're whining treatening to kill themselves should
    a) get help from people they know and who care about them
    b) not waste the rest of the world's time being selfish whiney pricks.

I seriously don't care if people kill themselves, it's their choice.
    I'm willing to attempt to help them, and I did in the past, but ultimately prefering death to whatever else is a choice idiots\cowards make (and no i won't give that point up).
    Some people, strong people, give up, some don't, but giving up and dying isn't the same thing.

Now in that particular situation you can't run a society if you do not punish a guy for pushing another one from a bridge, so my personal opinion does not really apply.

And I love how every bit of information leaking from china is always accompanied with some propaganda.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    I

Here's the picture of the Lian Jiansheng giving the suicide jumper a handshake right before pushing him off:

AND - here's the video:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPRM1BfxKL0"]China bridge jumper[/YOUTUBE]

Good points. When I first saw this article, my immediate reaction to this article was hey I would do the same thing. He's wasted 5 hours of peoples' time, he deserves to be punished. Then again, you have to think about your actions, and as toonia said, because Jiansheng said he knew the 'jumpers' like Chen wouldn't actually kill themselves, he is likely going to be charged with attempted murder.

On the topic of suicide, I feel it's taking the coward's way out. The people who generally commit suicide are very troubled and wish to escape this trouble by ending their lives. Of course there are so many better options than this. Life is a gift, we should be thankful for it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Is it wrong I laughed when I read the thread title?

I have compassion for people that commit or attempt suicide. Less compassion for those that do it publicly. Almost none for those that threaten it in public.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Is it wrong I laughed when I read the thread title?
    I did too - and then continued to do so while reading the article. And watching the video.