User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Korea is the like black sheep of the east. Weird things happen there regardless of stereotypical conundrums.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENFJ

What will become of Mr. Chen?

Because I'm just thinking, that if most people don't jump, well, I've heard of some pretty crazy things that people will go through to get to the front of the line when it comes to psychiatric help, quite literally.

Then again, that may be another east/west divide thing.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    That's quite interesting. Having said that while the chinese believe in the whole family before individual thing, I don't believe it's true that they are closer with their family. This is going off extremely generalised stereotypes but I find that with western relationships, parent-children relationships tend can be more varied in terms of love and hatred. Where as with asian families, there's constantly a more detached sense of grouping. That's the result of group bonding but a lack of individuals bonding.
    I never said anything about individuals being closer to their family. I don't know where you got that from what I said. I just said that in Asian societies (in general) our first responsibility is to the greater good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Wouldn't that be a feeling of admiration rather than sympathy? Sympathy is usually expressed for the negative scenario, not the positive scenario. Not to mention that this produces the whole pressure system on Asia. Japan has the highest suicide rates, that's not a good thing. It's probably alot more than the usual outburst of shootings in the west, but the UK doesn't really have that sort of problem.
    No. Sympathy is for people who try really hard, with the world against them, and FAIL (e.g. that Chinese hurdler at the Olympics who tried running with injury, for the sake of his country and family). Admiration is reserved for people who are preternaturally smart/charismatic and are therefore successful at life and bring "glory" to the family/country.

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    But as far as the shooting stuff goes, I remember reading an article blaming the film Oldboy for the VA Tech tragedy by that Korean shooter. I also remember a case of a Korean cop shooting like 60 people, and then of course there was that recent Korean Christian retreat shooting. I know these events are few and far between but do you have any opinion or insight into why this may be?
    You know as well as I do that blaming a film for a tragedy like the VA Tech shootings is ridiculous.

My reading of that situation is that they are no longer in a place where such cultural norms and familial expectations are placed on their shoulders. At the same time, being isolated and alienated (if you noticed, the Chinese guy at the Binghamton shootings was also an immigrant, the student at VA Tech was an international student) as well as racist (most Asians are racist, I'm going to be blasted here, but it is a fact that most people are racist and exclusive) and having free access to guns leads to these violent outbursts.

Also, most Asian nations have a very very strict control on weapons. It ensures social stability as only the military and police has access to firearms (and maintains totalitarian regimes).

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Korea is the like black sheep of the east.
    It's an interesting place. I always thought of them like the French of Europe.

I understand the OP and the action taken, although I'm mixed on my opinion of it. It is extremely bad manners (which sounds funny in 'western' terms, but 'bad manners' has a very strong social meaning) to inconvenience someone else, and this is pretty much the height of it.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post
    You know as well as I do that blaming a film for a tragedy like the VA Tech shootings is ridiculous.

My reading of that situation is that they are no longer in a place where such cultural norms and familial expectations are placed on their shoulders. At the same time, being isolated and alienated (if you noticed, the Chinese guy at the Binghamton shootings was also an immigrant, the student at VA Tech was an international student) as well as racist (most Asians are racist, I'm going to be blasted here, but it is a fact that most people are racist and exclusive) and having free access to guns leads to these violent outbursts.

Also, most Asian nations have a very very strict control on weapons. It ensures social stability as only the military and police has access to firearms (and maintains totalitarian regimes).
    Of course I know that blaming a film is ridiculous, I'm just wondering if people buy into that to explain these actions away. I know these were isolated incidents, I was just wondering how they were viewed within Asian communities.

And I agree that many Asians are racist, but I'd also be hard pressed to find any group that doesn't carry some sort of "ism".

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Of course I know that blaming a film is ridiculous, I'm just wondering if people buy into that to explain these actions away. I know these were isolated incidents, I was just wondering how they were viewed within Asian communities.

And I agree that many Asians are racist, but I'd also be hard pressed to find any group that doesn't carry some sort of "ism".
    Meh. My grandmother blamed my aunt's cancer on eating too much seafood. It caused a rift between my uncle-in-law and her till her death. The blame-game will go on and on, and people (regardless of race) will over-simplify stuff and make ridiculous assertions. I actually was about to edit my comment to take out the sharpness, but was too slow... I apologise for that (it's 3am and I should go to bed).

As far as how Asian communities view these things... we usually write it off as the actions of a "crazy person" or "due to bad upbringing". That's part of the reason for social conformism - you don't want to reflect badly on your family.

I never said anything about individuals being closer to their family. I don't know where you got that from what I said. I just said that in Asian societies (in general) our first responsibility is to the greater good.
    I'm just writing down my own experience and observations as a fellow asian. But it would make more sense that if individuals are so concerned about family and bonds, or a culture that promotes family and society, that they would indeed be closer to them on a personal level. Yet oddly enough this has not been my experience and appears to be relatively true for other chinese friends. There's more a sense of detached respect for elders. I just find it very funny.

Obviously my conclusion and experience will be different as I'm speaking from the perspective of a BBC.
    No. Sympathy is for people who try really hard, with the world against them, and FAIL (e.g. that Chinese hurdler at the Olympics who tried running with injury, for the sake of his country and family). Admiration is reserved for people who are preternaturally smart/charismatic and are therefore successful at life and bring "glory" to the family/country.
    Hmm?

"Chinese people only have sympathy for people who face incredible situations and odds, and STILL FIGHT ON."
    If they are still fighting on. Can you really classify it as a failure? I'd have admiration for someone who can do so.
    Sympathy is for those who have given up on themselves and their life.
    Perhaps this is where the communication failure is occuring.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Meh. My grandmother blamed my aunt's cancer on eating too much seafood. It caused a rift between my uncle-in-law and her till her death. The blame-game will go on and on, and people (regardless of race) will over-simplify stuff and make ridiculous assertions. I actually was about to edit my comment to take out the sharpness, but was too slow... I apologise for that (it's 3am and I should go to bed).

As far as how Asian communities view these things... we usually write it off as the actions of a "crazy person" or "due to bad upbringing". That's part of the reason for social conformism - you don't want to reflect badly on your family.
    What sharpness? I'm confused as to why you are apologizing... Either way, that makes sense. I had a lot of Asian friends in high school and I remember parents getting blamed every time we went out and got drunk. I kind of felt bad since I had one friend in particular who got into drugs and was a constant source of shame for the rest of the family. It seemed like a lot of pressure. But I get it. Everyone has their own set of values.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Yeah, I would not have done well in an asian family.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Am I the only one who thinks this story is sort of funny? Frustrated a.hole held up traffic for 5 hours, another frustrated a.hole gave him a helping hand, and the first guy hurts his wrist instead of killing himself? I mean... seriously, LOL.