User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Lasting_Pain

Quote Originally Posted by Wyst View Post
    That article gives new meaning to the term, "helping hand".
    Dang it you took my punchline. Man!!!!

I do not know what to say, but it is quite funny.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

A suicide jumper was pushed off the bridge.

How ironic.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    General question:
    Why is the desire for attention always looked upon as a negative thing?
    When someone is desperate enough to cry 'suicide', there's a major problem imo.

Agreed.

My first thoughts when I hear something like this, are about the back story, and all the stuff that leads up to this point.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

My hope is that everyone that attempts suicide for the sake of attention, accidentally succeed in doing so. I have no reservations whatsoever for people commiting suicide.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ISTx

This story is amazing.

Hopefully Chen receives the psychotherapy he needs.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I originally read this in the newspaper and one of my first thoughts was that Chinese culture is tradtionally more focused on unselfishness and group unity and this type of emotional display might be more strongly frowned upon in their culture than in ours.

However, I'm not justifying what the man did in any way. The man threatening to jump obviously is crying out for professional help. Then again, as others have already pointed out, it's not like the suicidal man died or anything. The man who pushed him did not commit murder.

I would be much more shocked by this if the man had died.
    I saw this thread yesterday, and thought that it would be interesting to read the "Western" view of things before posting my thoughts.

I'm completely unsurprised by the reactions, to be honest. I am, however, feeling amused by how stereotypical it is.

I've always described the difference between Westerners and Asians as being an inverted hierarchy. In the Western world, you have individuals first, followed by family, society, a country, etc. It's completely the opposite with Asians, specifically Chinese, Korean and Japanese people. As individuals, you have responsibility to your country first, then society, then your family, before you can talk about individual rights.

I've always felt that this difference in values is the reason why maniacs shoot other people at school (the "I'm always right" attitude) in the Western world, and the suicide rate is comparably high (the "I've let down other people and can't face the world" attitude) in the East.

As such, what this man is doing, from my own (Chinese) perspective, is incredibly selfish. He doesn't really mean to commit suicide, and he's doing this to bring attention to some cause of his. It is no wonder that he gets no sympathy. Chinese people only have sympathy for people who face incredible situations and odds, and STILL FIGHT ON. This guy... I'm not saying that he should've been pushed, but if someone had pulled him in and he'd fractured his wrist and been bruised (before being arrested), would people have reacted similarly?

The guy who pushed him was doing so from this perspective - that the suicidal guy is antisocial, and not considerate. He was well aware that there was an airbag underneath, and that the guy wouldn't die. He wasn't trying to kill the guy. As such, it wasn't attempted murder. At worst, it was reckless endangerment.

*shrugs* I can assure you that it's not a big deal in China, and people are not arguing about "getting the jumper help" and whether they pusher was right or wrong. It's completely irrelevant to the purpose of the law there - maintaining stability and preserving the peace. Also, among 1 billion people, there are lots of crazy people. The best that you can do is keep them from harming other people.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I originally read this in the newspaper and one of my first thoughts was that Chinese culture is tradtionally more focused on unselfishness and group unity and this type of emotional display might be more strongly frowned upon in their culture than in ours.

However, I'm not justifying what the man did in any way. The man threatening to jump obviously is crying out for professional help. Then again, as others have already pointed out, it's not like the suicidal man died or anything. The man who pushed him did not commit murder.

I would be much more shocked by this if the man had died.
    The question is one of intent. The outcome is irrelevant, except perhaps to Mr Chen.

Intentionality is a fascinating subject.

Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post
    I've always described the difference between Westerners and Asians as being an inverted hierarchy. In the Western world, you have individuals first, followed by family, society, a country, etc. It's completely the opposite with Asians, specifically Chinese, Korean and Japanese people. As individuals, you have responsibility to your country first, then society, then your family, before you can talk about individual rights.

I've always felt that this difference in values is the reason why maniacs shoot other people at school (the "I'm always right" attitude) in the Western world, and the suicide rate is comparably high (the "I've let down other people and can't face the world" attitude) in the East.
    That's quite interesting. Having said that while the chinese believe in the whole family before individual thing, I don't believe it's true that they are closer with their family. This is going off extremely generalised stereotypes but I find that with western relationships, parent-children relationships tend can be more varied in terms of love and hatred. Where as with asian families, there's constantly a more detached sense of grouping. That's the result of group bonding but a lack of individuals bonding.

As such, what this man is doing, from my own (Chinese) perspective, is incredibly selfish. He doesn't really mean to commit suicide, and he's doing this to bring attention to some cause of his. It is no wonder that he gets no sympathy. Chinese people only have sympathy for people who face incredible situations and odds, and STILL FIGHT ON.
    Wouldn't that be a feeling of admiration rather than sympathy? Sympathy is usually expressed for the negative scenario, not the positive scenario. Not to mention that this produces the whole pressure system on Asia. Japan has the highest suicide rates, that's not a good thing. It's probably alot more than the usual outburst of shootings in the west, but the UK doesn't really have that sort of problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It's annoying and it's not my problem. Someone trying to make it my problem is rude. That's imposing.
    Well I'll admit that they could do it a more considerate manner, but the whole point is that they aren't mentally sound. They aren't exactly going to be doing the complete rational thing, because of the immense feelings that can lead to this sort of behaviour.

Otherwise... I suppose you wouldn't go down this path?

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

hahaha, this is hilarious

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post

I thought the same while reading the article. That the jumper was somehow asking for it (according to the societies viewpoint).

But as far as the shooting stuff goes, I remember reading an article blaming the film Oldboy for the VA Tech tragedy by that Korean shooter. I also remember a case of a Korean cop shooting like 60 people, and then of course there was that recent Korean Christian retreat shooting. I know these events are few and far between but do you have any opinion or insight into why this may be?