User Tag List

First 34567 Last

General question:
    Why is the desire for attention always looked upon as a negative thing?
    When someone is desperate enough to cry 'suicide', there's a major problem imo.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    In general though, I don't make it known what I find funny in public or among friends/family. They think I'm already weird enough as it is. They don't need to know every dark thought that crosses my mind.

I actually restrain myself here too. I write a lot that I don't show anyone.
    I think alot of people find these particular kinds of topics funny when presented in a detached manner, and there are many reasons for it. It doesn't actually have much connection to how the person actually feels and relates to other people. I know by saying I don't think it's funny people could assume I'm judging them, or am an overall bump on a log. I just didn't want to say I think something is funny if that isn't how I actually see it.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I do find the suicidal extraordinarily selfish though. They are so unable to see beyond themselves. It's a symptom of the problem. The ones that make a public spectacle of their "suicide attempt" I find aren't very serious about acutally killing themselves. They just want attention.
    I suspect this happens - possibly the majority of the time. What about the time this is not the case? In my reasoning I see a wide array of possible motivations and conclude it isn't worth the risk to make the assumption and act on it if there are plausible explanations for which such judgments and actions would be inhumane. It is that smaller percent chance of it being something different that makes it worth taking a neutral approach that disregards any set of assumptions, or uses the broadest set of assumptions to act on.

Inhumane acts are typically exaggerated and justified by group think and mob mentality. I tend to take a stronger position against it because it is a stronger force to be reckoned with.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Toonia

There is a problem, take care of the immediate problem by removing the person from traffic. Take care of the longer-term problem by getting the person treatment. There's nothing to judge from what I can see. Needing to condemn the man doesn't reflect on the desperate person, but on the crowds own selfishness and neediness. [rhetorical statement to people in such crowds] Go judge someone "your own size", rather than someone in a state of desperation. It's just too easy to find fault and feel superior to desperate people.

Even though it's ironic, I don't find this kind of shit funny.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I suspect this happens - possibly the majority of the time. What about the time this is not the case? In my reasoning I see a wide array of possible motivations and conclude it isn't worth the risk to make the assumption and act on it if there are plausible explanations for which such judgments and actions would be inhumane. It is that smaller percent chance of it being something different that makes it worth taking a neutral approach that disregards any set of assumptions, or uses the broadest set of assumptions to act on.
    Mostly because my viewpoint doesn't matter. I'm not talking the person off the ledge, or counseling them.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    crap

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post

Inhumane acts are typically exaggerated and justified by group think and mob mentality. I tend to take a stronger position against it because it is a stronger force to be reckoned with.
    *nods*

Again, +1

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I originally read this in the newspaper and one of my first thoughts was that Chinese culture is tradtionally more focused on unselfishness and group unity and this type of emotional display might be more strongly frowned upon in their culture than in ours.

However, I'm not justifying what the man did in any way. The man threatening to jump obviously is crying out for professional help. Then again, as others have already pointed out, it's not like the suicidal man died or anything. The man who pushed him did not commit murder.

I would be much more shocked by this if the man had died.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin
    I do find the suicidal extraordinarily selfish though. They are so unable to see beyond themselves. It's a symptom of the problem. The ones that make a public spectacle of their "suicide attempt" I find aren't very serious about acutally killing themselves. They just want attention.
    Yeah. What about those blind people, so unable to see beyond themselves. Selfish bastards! I like to trip them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Yeah. What about those blind people, so unable to see beyond themselves. Selfish bastards! I like to trip them up.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocap View Post
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    *nods*

Again, +1
    this is getting out of hand.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    General question:
    Why is the desire for attention always looked upon as a negative thing?
    When someone is desperate enough to cry 'suicide', there's a major problem imo.
    It's annoying and it's not my problem. Someone trying to make it my problem is rude. That's imposing.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."