User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Interesting. Jiansheng was propounding his value system in an active manner.

The following is unusual: Suicide teenager urged to jump by baying crowd - Telegraph

The crowd urged the lad to jump (which he did - killing himself) but it appears to be passive - and indicitive of an absence of a value system by the onlookers.

Don't expect any sympathy from a busy commuter or a crowd of British scumbags.
    I momentarily lost my powers of speech after reading that.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    crap

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Thanks for the correction.

The malignancy of intent demonstrated by Jiansheng remains dynamic, irrespective of outcome.

In other words, good luck doesn't alter the need to examine motivational impulses that led to Jiansheng's decision / subsequent defense of his action.

The incident itself is less important than the events that led up to its justification.
    Night, I find myself agreeing with your posts quite a lot.

My personal reaction: I didn't think it was funny. The "pusher" should probably be tried for attempted murder...I don't care if so-called suicidal dude held up traffic, was bluffing or not, or if he only sustained minor injuries. Jiansheng had no way of knowing the outcome. I echo the bolded sentence above.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    crap

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    That made me sick.
    Yep. People can be pretty disgusting, especially in groups.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    crap

Quote Originally Posted by miked277 View Post
    ...and after watching the video i think the pusher did the exact right thing. i would have pushed this douch bag into the giant cushion too if he had held me up for 5 hours. the title of the thread made it sound like the guy threatening suicide actually died instead of sufferring a fractured wrist or whatever.
    Maybe one day you will end up in a desperate, sad situation that makes you look like a fool. Six degrees of separation and all that.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Maybe one day you will end up in a desperate, sad situation that makes you look like a fool. Six degrees of separation and all that.
    My initial response to someone making a self-destructive public spectacle is not, "selfish", but instead "not well". In the mind of the jumper there was something compelling enough to act this out. The chance of some kind of mental instability or chemical balance is present. I don't quite understand going at character as a first assumption because it takes much more time and information to understand a person's character. Illness makes more sense as an initial reaction imo. It matches the situation in a more plausible way because there is proof of some sort of desperation and extreme thinking.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    crap

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    My initial response to someone making a self-destructive public spectacle is not, "selfish", but instead "not well". In the mind of the jumper there was something compelling enough to act this out. The chance of some kind of mental instability or chemical balance is present. I don't quite understand going at character as a first assumption because it takes much more time and information to understand a person's character. Illness makes more sense as an initial reaction imo. It matches the situation in a more plausible way because there is proof of some sort of desperation and extreme thinking.
    Good points, toonia.

I think a lot of people have trouble empathizing with the man because they cannot imagine themselves in a similar position; in short, they can say "I would never do such a ridiculous act" and pat themselves on the back. Under the right circumstances, people may find themselves in situations that they never thought possible. It could be the fundamental attribution error at work; they see the man as a selfish, defective individual, not as a product of complex circumstances (including some possible synaptic misfiring!)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

No, I can see myself in similar situation.

And still see it as selfish and defective. As most suicidal people are.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    crap

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    No, I can see myself in similar situation.

And still see it as selfish and defective. As most suicidal people are.
    "Defective?" That sounds Ptahesque.

I guess it's a touchy subject. People who have emerged from situations victorious are often pretty judgmental of those still stuck in the muck. It's nice to distance yourself.

Also, genuinely depressed people hate their plight and would give anything to escape it. People like this guy seem more histrionic. Doesn't mean he wasn't really depressed, just that he probably didn't intend to really kill himself.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    "Defective?" That sounds Ptahesque.

I guess it's a touchy subject. People who have emerged from situations victorious are often pretty judgmental of those still stuck in the muck. It's nice to distance yourself.
    Defective, broken, ill... they all work.

They need to get better, fixed, healed.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    crap

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Defective, broken, ill... they all work.

They need to get better, fixed, healed.
    Ah, ok. I'm on board with that.