User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    type

Default Oregon gov. tries foodstamps for a week

I thought this was pretty interesting.

The Oregon governor restricted himself to the budget of someone on foodstamps: $21 a week.

After college, I was living with a gal who was working full-time for a national retail department store. We were strangers, just living together to split rent. She could have used an extra $100 a month to make ends meet, so she decided to apply for foodstamps. As soon as the state learned she had a room-mate, they turned her down.

They expected me to help support her.

Poverty is not a simple issue. I'm not certain that poverty itself can or should be eradicated. I do believe in sustainable-living wages and basic healthcare.

I don't think that $21 a week for food is realistic. Inflation projections don't factor in fuel prices. Higher fuel prices mean higher food prices.

Not a very well-constructed argument, but I need to take the dog for a walk.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Groceries have gone up a lot the last few years. I don't think $21/person/week is realistic anymore. We're doing good to spend less than $29/person/week.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Groceries have gone up a lot the last few years. I don't think $21/person/week is realistic anymore. We're doing good to spend less than $29/person/week.
    After keeping track of our costs for food, GF and I spend about $500/month on groceries... Canadian, but still. That's about 54USD per person!. While we do splurge on food some, I have no idea how $21 could be remotely healthy... I'm impressed with $29!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    After keeping track of our costs for food, GF and I spend about $500/month on groceries... Canadian, but still. That's about 54USD per person!. While we do splurge on food some, I have no idea how $21 could be remotely healthy... I'm impressed with $29!
    The kids don't eat much. A normal week is closer to $34, but we can eek by on $29 in a pinch.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    The kids don't eat much. A normal week is closer to $34, but we can eek by on $29 in a pinch.
    Heh, just wait till they are teenagers

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Heh, just wait till they are teenagers
    Grow, baby apple trees! Grow!
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    type

Since I took a leap of faith from my job, we've been under tighter cash restraints--but not that tight!

$21 a week for both of us is about what we're permitting ourselves for a weekly dinner out. For regular groceries, I think we're still in the $40-50/each a week--but I'm knocking that down.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INXP

It'd be doable, but you'd have to have meat less than once a day, and rely on rice, pasta and vegtables to eat any sort of well.

I'd certainly be a little more generous than that, though.
    Let's do this thing.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by meshou View Post
    It'd be doable, but you'd have to have meat less than once a day, and rely on rice, pasta and vegtables to eat any sort of well.

I'd certainly be a little more generous than that, though.
    In my experience, you'd rely on pasta, rice, and potatoes. Veg and meat are often too expensive. Stuff like milk, coffee, olive oil, and meat (other than canned tuna or poultry once a day) are luxuries.

Poverty. Sigh.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
    -- Unknown

MBTI
    INXP

Interesting which basics, and which luxuries are expensive in different areas.

In the UK, one can buy a large sliced loaf of white bread for 9p (about 15c). So that becomes a staple, as does fresh chicken, a large whole one can be bought for less than the cost of a small package of beef. Rice and pasta is very very cheap. A sack of pasta would be little more than $3.

Different things, in different places.

I can remember as a student, having a weekly food budget of £5 ($10). It was doable, but I did get rather fed up of no-name tinned spaghetti or beans on toast (10p), and a large jar of own-brand marmite and a loaf of bread at 9p.

Frozen food is your friend. Large packages of chicken drumsticks and the like.

With a little more funds, it is much, much, cheaper and healthier to make meals from ingredients than it is to buy ready made, of course. Which is where many people splurge their money.

It greatly helps to have little or no morals about such things as free range, organic, or genetically modified.

-Geoff