User Tag List

First 123 Last

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Good grief. I tip more every day than some of your daily food budgets...

I'm amazed that some of you can get by on that, but I guess I have successfully pulled off feeding ~6 people on ~150 a week. Mostly rice, pasta, seasonings, bread, and chicken...

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Interesting which basics, and which luxuries are expensive in different areas.

In the UK, one can buy a large sliced loaf of white bread for 9p (about 15c). So that becomes a staple, as does fresh chicken, a large whole one can be bought for less than the cost of a small package of beef. Rice and pasta is very very cheap. A sack of pasta would be little more than $3.
    Pasta is cheaper here, bread is dramatically more expensive. We have the same relative chicken prices.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Pasta is cheaper here, bread is dramatically more expensive. We have the same relative chicken prices.
    Pasta is cheaper? Wow.. I am talking about maybe 20kg for $3. A sack, like a santa sized one.

Something like a 1 lb bag of pasta would be about 10p (18c) at the cheap end.

-Geoff

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Pasta is cheaper? Wow.. I am talking about maybe 20kg for $3. A sack, like a santa sized one.

Something like a 1 lb bag of pasta would be about 10p (18c) at the cheap end.

-Geoff
    I stand corrected. That's dementedly cheap.

When imagining a sack, I was thinking a 5-6lbs bag, which is ~$3-4. Your food is dementedly cheap there. And I thought it was quite expensive, too, based on my experience with buying things that came from the UK. (I love one of your breakfast cereals.)

MBTI
    ENTP

i think i've been spending $20 a day on food lately, but i haven't gone grocery shopping in a while and someone owes me money now.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INTj

If I got only $21 per week to spend on food I could live out my dream of eating nothing but Top Ramen and mac and cheese.

Glorious.

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

was there ever an update on this?

I couldn't imagine living on 21/week /person. I don't think I could do it.
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    INFP

potatoes.

oh and refried beans (less than $1 per can) + tortillas (less than $2 for a dozen) + cheese could last you a week. i've done it before

MBTI
    XNXP

It's really the cost of housing that chips away so much at poor people's money, IMO.

With all the diabetes probs out there ( striking at younger and younger people ) you wouldn't think a mostly starchy diet ( cheap ) would be "what the doctor ordered."

MBTI
    ISTP

It's really the cost of housing that chips away so much at poor people's money, IMO.
    I agree... living in one of the more (relative) expensive cities in the world (somewhere from 7th to 15th, and one of the highest in North America - we are getting close to outpacing NY on a salary/housing basis!), I'm not sure how one is suppose to manage.

Seriously, my grocery bill is about 400 odd a month. And I could cut that down, I realise. My mortgage + condo fee + basic utilities is about 1050 a month. My place is 550sq feet... a little one bedroom place.

I don't struggle (hence why I bought this place!)... but the structural costs built into our society are unbelievable. My fixed costs (bills - and we try to run them down as much as possible) run about 1400 of our (now increased to) 2100 budget. We've stripped away all extra costs, which not everyone would think as being "extra" - no car, no vacations, etc. So those structural costs should be higher for the average person.

There is a limit on how much one can strip away before you hit absolute meat - a place to stay, food to eat, a way to get to work. It seems like most places hit that limit, or passed it (I'd say we passed here in Vancouver!). There are some serious imbalances in the system somewhere...

And yes, there is a difference between eating and eating well. Not eating well over the long time is extremely harmful for your health, obviously, but it also becomes an economic trap.