User Tag List

123 Last

heart on fire

Default Sweden rules 'gender-based' abortion legal

Sweden rules 'gender-based' abortion legal - The Local

Sweden rules 'gender-based' abortion legal

"Swedish health authorities have ruled that gender-based abortion is not illegal according to current law and can not therefore be stopped, according to a report by Sveriges Television..."(more at link)

Thoughts?

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

bad idea. dont need to explain why

MBTI
    INTP

A better question might be, if one does not object to abortion at the point when the sex of a baby is determinate, why would they object to gender-selective abortions? [this forum needs a "raised eyebrow" icon]

Edit: ^Someone just informed me that we do in fact have one of those icons...I thought it was just a "puzzled" icon
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 05-20-2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: new information

heart on fire

^ I'd prefer not to define the different opinions and perspectives people are prompted to give as much as possible. I am more interested in how people think and feel about this than trying to push an agenda.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

If you're going to allow abortions in general why should it matter the reason?

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    If you're going to allow abortions in general why should it matter the reason?
    Yeah.

And/but this is exactly the kind of reason why "free for all" abortion doesn't sit well with me.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Yeah.

And/but this is exactly the kind of reason why "free for all" abortion doesn't sit well with me.
    yeah...i feel so conflicted in regards to this issue. not forcing my opinions on others vs. protecting and standing up for what's right....it's a really hard call.

but gender isn't really determined before about 18- 20 weeks and yikes...i know what they look like at that stage. it's too crazy to me.

i can't stand the idea of it.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Well, Jock: I think because the genitalia doesn't form until the 2nd trimester, which makes it a bit gruesome in the eyes of some.

But you're right, if abortion is legal in the 2nd trimester, it shouldn't matter the reason.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Don't see the problem myself, however it's far more effective to just get yourself artificially inseminated by a spermie of the proper gender if gender is that important to you. (I saw on discovery that this is possible, iirc.)

I can understand religions being against it, and I can respect that. As long as the choice is the mothers however I see no wrong in abortion. (Family or indirectly forced abortions and such however I am against. :P )
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Well, Jock: I think because the genitalia doesn't form until the 2nd trimester, which makes it a bit gruesome in the eyes of some.

But you're right, if abortion is legal in the 2nd trimester, it shouldn't matter the reason.
    I have never even understood the "development" argument either though.

As soon as you know you're pregnant, any conscious choice to end that pregnancy is a prevention of life. I never understood the "well it doesn't have a face yet lol it can't be sad and doesn't have feelings" crap.