User Tag List

heart on fire

Default Boy Scouts (USA) To Train To Fight Terrorists and More...

Scouts Train to Fight Terrorists, and More...article at link below:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/us...s.html?_r=2&hp

Thoughts?

Initially, I was shocked, since the Boy Scouts go out of their way to emphasize that they are not a paramilitary organization. But as soon as I read that this was an Explorer post, it all made sense.

Explorers aren't "Boy Scouts" in the traditional sense, although the Explorer program is part of the Boy Scouts of America. It's a program for older kids (14-21) where they learn about a particular career. Each Explorer post (equivalent of a Boy Scout troop) specializes in a particular vocation and is sponsored by a complementary organization. For instance, there might be an Explorer post sponsored by a fire station that is geared toward learning about a career in firefighting. In that context, I have much less of a problem with this. I'd be horrified if it were a normal Boy Scout troop.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

This has wrong written all over it.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

At the very least, it is another positive option with which to deter our precious youth from joining gangs. Looks like a fun drug free activity. We are most definately headed in the "right" direction of ideas to promote positive alternatives
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Actually I think it's a really great thing. Having been a scout myself for several years, I can attest for the need to strengthen militaristic aspects of the scouting programs. Over the past few decades, at least in the Boy Scout branch there have been significant increases in the number of boys who reach Eagle, which is the highest rank. Some even get it as young as 14. The fact that this is even possible is a disgrace to the program, something that is supposed to be a several years long process. On the whole the program has become too soft, motherly, easy, and arts and craftsy. Youth who want more realistic and tougher challenges I think will be intrigued by experiences such as this one. Simulated field exposure in law enforcement is no less valuable than exposure to other careers would be, and exposure to different fields if interest is at the core of all the branches of scouting.

MBTI
    INTP

That's kinda cool. I would have liked to experience something like that when I was in scouts.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I never liked the whole "Boy Scouts" thing. It seemed to have too much of a military element. Now I know I was right.

I think they shouldn't do this, because it seems really dangerous, and a lot of people who enroll their kids in the scouts don't realize they're signing them up for a somewhat military-like experience.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

This seems like a PR move to me. They're probably doing this to make the Boy Scouts seem less gay.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

The idea itself seems good. But I do not think it's good to start young. 18+ fine but 'boyscouts'? Nah.

The problem lies with the definition of terrorists. Without proper guidance, you might be having some terrorists in the making with such projects. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf