MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default Interesting article on the effects of public schools

How the Public School System Crushes Souls | steve-olson.com

The article isn't as long as the scroll bar tells you, it just has a lot of comments.

After reading this I realize how lucky I am to be in a very small public school. Anything else would probably have ruined me by now. It's pretty bad here though, depending on what "cliques" you associate with. I hang out with the "gamer" group typically (a bunch of NTs and a few NFs), so I am lucky to be accepted for who I am. I feel bad for the others however... I see this emotional, physical abuse etc play out (I report it to an authority in the school if it's too bad). It's pathetic. I got bullied in school... But it doesn't compare to what happens in larger schools. At least the people in my grade matured a bit and realized how useless bullying is for the most part.

Thoughts?
    () 9w8-4w3-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I stopped reading after "every dropout is a human being"..... what a sob story!!

The problem with public education isn't funding or dropouts or "the school systems" or anything, it has to do with the more negative aspects of our culture: We only care about knowledge insofar as it gets us a fatter paycheck or that next big grant, benefit, whatever.... Very, very few are truly TAUGHT, in America, to love knowledge and what it can DO, and those that seem to are often INTP-ish or some Te heavy type! So what happens? Over time you only get people in teaching positions who are there "for the kids" or because that's their best resort in life. Teaching, it's a living in America.... it's NOT a noble tradition here like it ought to be, like it is in Brittain!!

When one generation has no love of knowledge or learning, the next is unlikely to as well. THAT's our problem, but then again, only the Ancient Greeks seemed to foster it just right

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

This article wasn't about anything you just said. It was about the emotional effects on people, and on the author. This isn't about how to improve our school system, just merely a story and his point of view on a certain aspect on it. The author obviously went through a very rough time in school, and seems very passionate about preventing that from happening to his children.
    () 9w8-4w3-7w6 tritype.

Oberon

My wife and I homeschool for many reasons, but this article makes several of them clear.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    My wife and I homeschool for many reasons, but this article makes several of them clear.
    Do your children have social issues? That's my fear for when I have kids, I do want to home school. I want them to have a social life and some skills. You can easily work your way around that by getting them to socialize outside of school. How did you go about doing this? I am highly interested in knowing.
    () 9w8-4w3-7w6 tritype.

MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    This isn't about how to improve our school system, just merely a story and his point of view on a certain aspect on it. The author obviously went through a very rough time in school, and seems very passionate about preventing that from happening to his children.
    and why was it rough for him? Maybe because it was somehow IMPROPER? Plz don't make me draw the lines you know exist.... I'm really getting tired of having to do that on this fucking board

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    and why was it rough for him? Maybe because it was somehow IMPROPER? Plz don't make me draw the lines you know exist.... I'm really getting tired of having to do that on this fucking board
    Read the article? It's the environment of the school, people are assholes when they are around peer pressure if they think they will be "cool" because of it (for the most part). That's why it would be rough. It's not just some sob story... it's a reality dude.
    () 9w8-4w3-7w6 tritype.

MBTI
    Hype

Read the article? It's the environment of the school, people are assholes when they are around peer pressure if they think they will be "cool" because of it. That's why it would be rough. It's not just some sob story... it's a reality dude.

Right, and the way it is that reality is because of our general attitude towards education and knowledge in general: It's not taken seriously. Americans only care about Mathematical Integration because it lets us build Mustangs better, and our kids see this. So, modern day schools have veritably become "day care centers" for the unwanted/somehow "less than deserving" children, like in this article.

MBTI
    Hype

basically i'm ranting, not derailing

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Do your children have social issues? That's my fear for when I have kids, I do want to home school. I want them to have a social life and some skills. You can easily work your way around that by getting them to socialize outside of school. How did you go about doing this? I am highly interested in knowing.
    I was home-schooled. There's some good and some bad to it. The thing is, it's very difficult to apply a pattern to home-schooled children because there is no standardization. Every parent will raise their kids differently, in different circumstances.
    Go to sleep, iguana.