User Tag List

First 234

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Do your children have social issues? That's my fear for when I have kids, I do want to home school. I want them to have a social life and some skills. You can easily work your way around that by getting them to socialize outside of school. How did you go about doing this? I am highly interested in knowing.
    Well, we have a very active homeschool association, which is a group of homeschoolers who get together to do things that are hard to do at home, like gym class. My children have at various times been active in 4H, Envirothon, their church youth group, and ballet (my oldest two, a son and daughter, both dance). Their schedules are every bit as full of educational and social activity as those of any other children their age.

My kids have wondered what they have missed by not doing the public-school experience, however. So now once a week or so we take them in the bathroom, curse at them, bully them, rough them up, steal their lunch money and ofter them drugs, and that seems to cover it.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    But how specifically did you get a social life? That's great that you had one and all.
    Public-funded schools are a late-19th-century invention. All children were not socially backward before that time, I promise you.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    The public school system has shattered my spirit and I highly recommend getting your child into a charter school if homeschooling isn't for you. not everyone is cut out for homeschooling. I am having a difficult time staying structured and not totally going insane. I also want our son to socialize with other kids his own age and not live in our basement when he grows up which I believe is where he's heading if I bale him out each time he feels uncomfortable or out of place.

I felt like a total freak in school. I'm amazed that I even managed to have several friends as I was a complete anxious, nervous mess on the inside while maintaining a "normal" external appearance so I can understand how he feels. I want to help him avoid feeling badly about himself so I am going to let him try out a small charter school he was accepted into and see how that goes.

Also, after yesterdays negative experience with the principle of my son's base public school I will never have him back there again so if the charter doesn't work out we'll try home school part three.
    Jen, this surprises me. I would have thought you were totally popular, a 'queen bee' type. I couldn't imagine you feeling like a misfit.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Jen, this surprises me. I would have thought you were totally popular, a 'queen bee' type. I couldn't imagine you feeling like a misfit.
    I'm sure a lot of people think that but it's not true. Looks can be deceiving. I'm still a misfit, I just try to keep my mouth shut in public so I don't scare anyone, especially round these parts.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    My kids have wondered what they have missed by not doing the public-school experience, however. So now once a week or so we take them in the bathroom, curse at them, bully them, rough them up, steal their lunch money and ofter them drugs, and that seems to cover it.
    I'm sorry, but you have missed a very important element. You are not properly socializing your girl. You must also talk about having a party and not invite her, ignore her or turn your back on her when she walks up, and form a club whose sole purpose is to exclude her. Get to work!
    Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    Fiver is correct, it is freeing to not have to impress someone, to be accepted for who you really are.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTj

Ah, the old stereotypes. Sad, but mostly true, from what I hear.

I've never really had a problem with "bullies". (Not that I was around them as a kid.) What I mean is, boneheads in general. I'm taller and wider-shouldered than most guys my age, so physically speaking, I've never feared being "beaten up". No one's tried. = )

In terms of teasing, I keep to myself 99% of the time, and anyone who actually tries to tease me (I mean in a bad way, not friendly banter) they have to deal with the brunt of my sarcastic edge. I win every time.

This information is just collected from being in the tech center for my junior and senior years, by the way. I've just now graduated and I've been homeschooled since 1st grade.

.....Who was the bright one that suggested public schooling, anyway? Wasn't the whole "busing" movement mostly for de-segregation? (So much for that.)

Always remember to flank your enemies. History won't remember how dramatic your failed frontal assault looked. - Dragon Age: Origins

MBTI
    ENFJ

For the vast majority of my public schooling I've sat in the back of class and drawn. I have such good recall that I barely had to study, and manage to get excellent grades.

I've learned how to ignore people. If anybody teased me, I was too busy drawing or writing to have noticed. I've made friends with certain teachers. The only thing I've learned is how to do is draw a decent profile.

The focus on testing is making me sick. I'm taking AP classes because I need to be able to get credit from colleges so I don't have to spend as much money on classes. But in French, you know, I want to learn French. Not just take tests on verb conjugations. I've taken French for four years and I still don't know any.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I was talking to my little cousin earlier today, and she reminded me of what high school was like, and suddenly a flood of memories of everything I hated about it came back.

The public school board at least in my state seems to be full of well intentioned bureaucrats, they try to do what's best for the kids here, but in doing so they actually assist in crippling the kids learning experience more. The first two semesters are spent preparing for standardized test if you are a freshmen or sophomore, the buses are packed and you must be up before your parents to catch them, often times waking up at 5:00am and standing in the cold to wait if it doesn't come on time, the buses are often packed. Buying a vehicle is no better, as when I was going the decals for cars cost 35 dollars, and now they cost 70 dollars, which is extremely unfortunate. Most kids have to work to buy a decal and lunch, these kids naturally don't have the time to do all the busy work that public schools tend to pile on, add this to the ones who try for after school activities, they literally get home after dark only to have to wake up really early again this continues through the week. Also it's not uncommon for practice to be held bright and early on Saturday morning.

If you're late for your 7:30 class, you are given morning detention the next day, where they expect you someone who couldn't make it at the crack of dawn to get to class on time to come to school even earlier, if your late for that, you get Saturday school, four hours of sitting in a very large room doing nothing. All after a riveting week of the above.

They tell you to act like an adult, when you're rarely even treated like a human.

Add all of the above to school politics, and problems at home.

When in High School pressure is coming from every direction, every possible direction, and you are almost completely powerless in this situation. It's another reason why everyone's a jerk in high school.

Teachers do tend to pic favorites, and do tend to prejudge and make examples certain of certain kids. I've seen this happen in almost every class I've taken, and on two occasions I was the example.

I'm so glad I'm out of that.