User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I was homeschooled from 7th-12th grade, and I had a wonderful, vibrant social life. I got along well with people of all ages, and I received a solid, tailor-made education that has served me well. My only complaint is that I did not get to experience many friendships outside of the Christian religion, and would have benefited from a more diverse group of friends and acquaintances.

I don't think homeschooling is for everyone, but I feel that homeschooling helped me preserve the best parts of myself and learn to be confident and secure before facing the entire world head on. Because of my personality, I would have allowed the public school experience to crush any optimism, individuality, creativity or self confidence I had at that age.

The world can be brutal, and everybody's got to face that fact at some point, but I think certain kids are more resilient and able to deal with it than others. Homeschooling gave me (and my parents) a measure of control over how much "brutal reality" I was exposed to at once, so I could develop at the pace that was right for me.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

But how specifically did you get a social life? That's great that you had one and all.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Went to a school of over 3000. Was the largest building and student body in the district at the time.

Everyone was miserable so I can't/didn't/won't/don't complain.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I was home-schooled. There's some good and some bad to it. The thing is, it's very difficult to apply a pattern to home-schooled children because there is no standardization. Every parent will raise their kids differently, in different circumstances.
    I've seen some homeschooling horror stories. I think there should be a little more regulation in terms of what people are learning, at least in my state. What was your social life like? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    But how specifically did you get a social life? That's great that you had one and all.
    A lot of my socialization revolved around my church at the time, where I participated in music, drama, community service projects, teaching Sunday School and other assorted things. I had friends my age in the neighborhood where I lived, and when I hung out with them, I met their friends. I ended up being involved in a community theatre type group with some of these friends, as well as a band, etc.

I also belonged to a homeschooling group, and these are pretty common. We went on field trips, participated in sports together, etc. I also met people through summer camp, as well as summer drama and sports programs that the school held. I was allowed to participate because they were summer activities. I played in a community orchestra and met people there, too.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTj

I was homeschooled. I'm glad I was. After hearing the horror stories (Perhaps that is a bit exaggerated) from my public-schooled friends, I don't think I missed anything. Besides, I'm smarter than most public-schooled kids. (Well, at least my intellectual arrogance says so.)

Most people, when they learn how I was educated, freak out and cannot understand how I dealt with no "other kids".

Firstly, I'm heavily introverted. I don't need "other kids". Most of them would have hindered me anyway. But that aside --- I have church. That's twice a week where I was with other people. (Kids, too.) I also played soccer for the local school on occasion. (That was awful though. I had asthma at the time, so I'd wheeze when I ran, and therefore I always got stuck in the goalie's net and I got hit a lot. I hated it.)

So....I'm just now done with my Senior year and I have no regrets about being homeschooled.

....Only two to four years left to go.

Always remember to flank your enemies. History won't remember how dramatic your failed frontal assault looked. - Dragon Age: Origins

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Public school was bad in a lot of ways, but it was good in some ways too.
    I don't understand why so many people are so tortured by it. The articles such as this that I read usually mention some sort of silly teasing about untrue things, but how does this teasing actually crush people? I can understand the torture of stripping away of your liberties, or of being forced to "hold it in" despite extreme pain and explosion. But teasing?? I believe these people who report their experiences of misery, but I don't understand how certain things make people miserable.

I also don't understand why some people seriously say that school doesn't teach anything of importance. Learning how to read, write, and do math is important stuff, especially the critical thinking that goes along with it.

My experience with the public school system closely parallels that of the author. I only graduated because I learned to go along with the system in a subversive way as a prisoner of war would do (I literally thought like this for 7-12th grade.) Upon my successful escape, I managed to lead a happy and fulfilling life and career despite enduring government-sanctioned educational torture.

There's no question that my wife and I will homeschool our kids.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I only graduated because I learned to go along with the system in a subversive way as a prisoner of war would do (I literally thought like this for 7-12th grade.)
    Haha, funny you should say that, I kinda did too, it was the only way to make it through really.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    Public school was bad in a lot of ways, but it was good in some ways too. I don't understand why so many people are so tortured by it. The articles such as this that I read usually mention some sort of silly teasing about untrue things, but how does this teasing actually crush people? I can understand the torture of stripping away of your liberties, or of being forced to "hold it in" despite extreme pain and explosion. But teasing?? I believe these people who report their experiences of misery, but I don't understand how certain things make people miserable.
    I think it depends on the specific experiences, and the way individual people process things. Some people can let things roll off their backs or fight back, while others don't handle the pressure well. People have their own coping mechanisms, and some work better than others. One girl I knew was very quiet and mild mannered. High school scared her so much that she started dressing goth to scare people. It worked. They left her alone.

You might remember teasing completely different from another individual who was subjected to a whole different level of teasing that was more like abuse. I knew a girl who was repeatedly grabbed by the breasts and slammed into lockers by boys who called her derogatory names. She did nothing to deserve this treatment, and after a while, she began to believe she truly was worthless, as they said. A lot of depression, desperation, and unhealthy behaviors followed. Plenty of people could tell you similar or worse stories. This type of treatment doesn't fall under the category of "teasing," in my opinion. I'd consider it abuse, and certain people just don't hold up well under that kind of daily pressure and panic-inducing situations. Even if physical abuse is left out of the equation, the "teasing" that goes on is often stuff that would be considered verbal abuse if it happened in a marriage or a parent/child relationship.

I agree that there are both pros and cons to public schooling. I don't think the entire public school system needs to go out the window. That's a little extreme.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I was home-schooled. There's some good and some bad to it. The thing is, it's very difficult to apply a pattern to home-schooled children because there is no standardization. Every parent will raise their kids differently, in different circumstances.
    It's standardized here, which makes it pretty good. Any social issues I have are from school. I did better after I was out (only had a couple of years, though).

I have nothing good to say about North American public schools. I can say, without hyperbole, that any knowledge I had when I graduated was about 90% self taught. This ranged from programming to Math (my parents enrolled me in Kumon in grade 5 or so - I was grade '12'ish by the time I hit grade 10)... the 10% I don't count were the sciences in the 11-12 bracket. I never made a coherent study of physics or chemistry at that level of detail until forced too.

I had some advantages, though. My mom was an English teacher (which translates to 'grammar nazi who makes you write essays at home' - not that it shows anymore, heh) and my parents put me in a lot stuff, even while I was in school.

Not everyone has that kind of support, so I was lucky. So public schools are about standardization. And they suck at setting it.