User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default If you think drugs should be illegal..

You are completely brainwashed. I've felt this for years now, but I just watched a Penn & Teller video on the subject and it got my blood boiling.

I guess I'll list a few of the reasons, but I'll post the vids too, so you might as well just watch those.

The first enraging thing about this is the hypocrisy. Alcohol and tobacco are legal and celebrated by nearly everyone, including as the show pointed out, our former president. Alcohol is a mind altering drug. I hate to bring personal experience into this, but I have extensive experience with both alcohol and weed, and it is safe to say that the former is infinitely more dangerous (and infinitely less fun, but I guess others can feel differently). However, around 500,000 people get arrested per year for possession of marijuana, while millions around the nation merrily drink themselves to a worse level of foolishness at bars every day. Rot in jail you damned potheads!

The show also stated that the "war on drugs" began in the Vietnam era as a red herring to distract from the Vietnam war. I agree with that, but I suppose it is not necessarily a fact. Anyway, they used the example of Prohibition in the 20s to demonstrate the analogy of what is going on today. Gangsters took over the distribution of alcohol, and much violence, crime, and general lack of well-being resulted. Yay.

Obviously the same thing goes on today. Dangerous drug lords control production and distribution of drugs. This obviously means people need to use violence and crime just to distribute drugs, and it also means that the drugs may be crude, unstandardized, or laced with other things. Many deaths have resulted.

Another argument people make is that if it weren't against the law to do drugs, everyone would get fucked up on everything because there would be nothing holding them back. I liked the counter they made in the show--"so the law is the only thing keeping you from driving around smashed on heroin right now? Where's your morality?"

And how much money and effort are we wasting in enforcing these stupid, freedom usurping laws? Apparently it takes 20 billion dollars a year to maintain the war on drugs. So we spend this much to make a black market that fucks us over?

Lastly, drug prohibition does not show any compassion to people with drug problems. If you've got a problem money is spent to bust you, when it could be spent to help you. Many drug addicts want to quit, but can't. It has been proven to be a disease. Drug addicts, however, would be stupid to confess that they are felons. So they don't.

And then there's.... freedom? Anyone? Since when can a human being be told what he can and cannot put in his body? Drugs don't usually make you violent (except for a few like alcohol, I guess). At worst they make it so you shouldn't drive. The violence from drugs comes from the fact that they are legal so criminal thugs take over the distribution.

The government stupidity really pisses me off. The fact that people believe their lies makes me want to scream and cry and move to a remote desert island where I won't have to live in this society. How could we be so ignorant? Why must we fight imaginary enemies?

I wonder if I am preaching to the choir here. Oh well. I want to speak out for freedom, because I really feel like I'm living in Orwell's 1984 sometimes.

Here is part 1 (you can see the other 2 on youtube, just follow the link).

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMdFiw8bZHc&feature=related"]P&T Bullshit War on Drugs[/YOUTUBE]

Drugs should be illegal but society is unstable to such a degree that this could be hard to insure. But I agree with you that governments are using a wrong approach in this matters.

Also I have never lighten up a cigarette and I never got drunk so I don't think I am a hypocrite.

MBTI
    INTP

Alright, so why do you think drugs should be illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Alright, so why do you think drugs should be illegal?

In modern society drugs have become a symbol of freedom and liberty.
    In the same moment those same drugs are just a easy means of escaping from reality.
    I think that this is not a good way of dealing with your problems and it should not be rated as one.

In a way you have only two scenatios. "The drugs " spreads further across society and damage it to a degree that it can't function normally anymore.
    What means that "layers" of a society will drift apart even further and people who don't want to do drugs will be forced to live in a police state. Since that will be the only way to keep drugs and its consequences away from them.
    If we presume that this level of protection is possible.

Or you can fight it now before its spreads. People fail to see that the amount of drugs that is on streets = more law emforcement.
    Or chaos will take over if there is no enough law enforcement.

In the case you make it legal then you have ensured less productive society. That has a good chance to crash in the end. I have seen personally how drugs reduce intelligence of people.

On the other hand you can use different approach and say "why not"?
    Since this will remove people that have the tendency to use drugs.

Just because it is hard to fight it and goverment does it in wrong way, that doesn't mean that drugs are the right way.

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    You are completely brainwashed.
    My you've left this open for discussion.

MBTI
    INTP

But how do you know it would spread? Drugs are widely available now, even though they're illegal, and they aren't that widespread. Sure, they are an escape from reality, but so is TV. So is the internet. Why can't we be free to destroy ourselves? What stake do we have in the future, knowing that today's society will be completely obsolete in a few hundred years anyway?

I'm not saying that drugs are the right way. Maybe they are horrible for whoever does them. We are as blind with drugs as we are with any other issue. Maybe we're right and maybe we're wrong, but let's at least act on our principles now instead of assuming the worst will happen, even though there is no good evidence for it. We should be free.

You--you won't take drugs. Even if they become legal, you'll be ok. People who want drugs to be legal live in a police state right now. What makes your values better than ours? We just want freedom from arbitrary rules. And frankly, I think it is a tad pessimistic to assume that non-drug abusers will live in a "police state" if drugs are all legalized.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post

In the case you make it legal then you have ensured less productive society.
    Well I can easily take that argument a bit further and say that we would have a more productive society if chronically unemployed people were forced into labor camps.

But that's not the right way to go about things now is it? Encouragement and rewards should be provided for productivity, but imposing on people's liberties is morally and practically problematic.

Also, some drugs enhance productivity. For example, cocaine can make someone more alert, active, and impervious to pains of fatigue. Do you think people at demanding positions such as stock traders, air traffic controllers, etc should be allowed to use them for the sake of productivity?

That has a good chance to crash in the end.
    Are you saying that society will crash if the drugs become legal?

Quite a claim there.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Druggies are just annoying... They resort to a drug to deal with their issues, or they have fun with the drugs. It just all seems useless to me... If you're having fun with it then you're wasting your money (you have the internet for fuck's sake... you can find something to do for fun, like be here). If you're getting away from your problems then chances are they will just get worse, most problems get worse if you ignore them. That and it costs way too much money, money that could be put toward something else other than a substance.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I think that this is not a good way of dealing with your problems and it should not be rated as one.
    As a matter of fact, Marijuana is famous for its enhancement of reality.
    It doesn't create hallucinations, it only increases sensation.

And besides, when did it become a truism that drug use solely for escape and dealing with problems?

They call it recreational for a reason.

In a way you have only two scenatios. "The drugs " spreads further across society and damage it to a degree that it can't function normally anymore.
    Chalking cooperation with society up as a premium moral endeavor is an ironic thing for someone with a name like yours to do.
    What means that "layers" of a society will drift apart even further
    What layers? To my knowledge, no sect of the human species has ever had such an outstanding qualm with classism and separations -- substructures if you will.

You might even get away with saying that these cliques actually help to bolster holistic humanity in that the division allows for stronger focus, which is usually crucial when collaborating with another division.

Read up on politics, or just... pay attention to the way people work [with eachother].

and people who don't want to do drugs will be forced to live in a police state.
    Which is simply a reversal of minority...

Or you can fight it now before its spreads.
    Do you live on an island or something?
    People fail to see that the amount of drugs that is on streets = more law emforcement.
    False:
    More laws = more law enforcement. You can't violate anything if there aren't any rules.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Druggies are just annoying... They resort to a drug to deal with their issues, or they have fun with the drugs. It just all seems useless to me... If you're having fun with it then you're wasting your money (you have the internet for fuck's sake... you can find something to do for fun, like be here). If you're getting away from your problems then chances are they will just get worse, most problems get worse if you ignore them. That and it costs way too much money, money that could be put toward something else other than a substance.

So since you find it annoying and disagree with it, it should be illegal, people should be locked up, hell must be paid... Gotcha
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"