User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Can't tell if you're joking or not.
    I'm always serious when it comes to addiction. Addiction is serious business. Legalization legitimizes drug use. Drugs should be controlled and stigmatized. People who sell drugs, from the smallest pot dealer to the big suppliers should be dealt with harshly so that everyone knows not to sell drugs. Use will diminish once you dismantle distribution.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I'm always serious when it comes to addiction. Addiction is serious business. Legalization legitimizes drug use. Drugs should be controlled and stigmatized. People who sell drugs, from the smallest pot dealer to the big suppliers should be dealt with harshly so that everyone knows not to sell drugs. Use will diminish once you dismantle distribution.
    Nice to meet you, Mr Buzz Killington.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    So what would the punishment for adultery be? And would it actually stop people? No one who really wants to do drugs now is prevented by their being illegal. All criminalization does is make the drugs more dangerous and more expensive, and it enriches the most corrupt and violent people in our society. It happens with prostitution, as well. Any time you criminalize a vice, you create a lucrative black market that is far worse than what would happen if the vice were legal. Look what happened during Prohibition. The number of alcohol-related deaths skyrocketed, and the violent crime rate became outrageous.
    I thought he was joking about adultery being punishable. That sounds... Puritan. I mean, wow. I actually know a girl who is going to get married and she cheats on her fiance a lot. I would be horrified to find out the government could punish that, though. People can deal with their own shit, the government can fuck off. Any husband with a soul would not allow his cheating wife to be imprisoned.

1984 here we come...

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    We are NOT the government, and we are not supposed to be. This is not a direct democracy. It's a constitutional republic.
    So, how does this mean we're not the government?

People have rights no matter what the majority of society might vote at any time. One of them would be the right to decide what does or does not go into one's own body. Furthermore, addiction does NOT hurt everyone. I know perfectly nice, positive, productive people who, by government definition, are drug addicts. What is bleeding over from them in society?
    People don't have a right to harm themselves, but we can't control that. People don't have a right to sell drugs that harm other people. We especially punish these people. We can control this. And we will. Thank God. Addiction is a disease. It goes against life.

So what would the punishment for adultery be?
    Blacklisting? Ineligibility to hold jobs where ethics are required? Inability to remarry legally? There is no excuse for adultery within the confines of marriage.

And would it actually stop people?
    Maybe? Making divorce easy and making marriage easy certainly hasn't made things better.

No one who really wants to do drugs now is prevented by their being illegal.

Punish the distributors. The users will stop when there is no supply.

All criminalization does is make the drugs more dangerous and more expensive, and it enriches the most corrupt and violent people in our society. It happens with prostitution, as well. Any time you criminalize a vice, you create a lucrative black market that is far worse than what would happen if the vice were legal. Look what happened during Prohibition. The number of alcohol-related deaths skyrocketed, and the violent crime rate became outrageous.
    More dangerous and expensive. Good! Criminal activities should be dangerous and expensive and risky.

Alcohol should be controlled more through taxation. The pendulum has swung too far in favor of all alcohol, all the time. Alcohol is a drug.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Nice to meet you, Mr Buzz Killington.
    Get your ass in the pillory, Prudence.

MBTI
    ENTP

I thought he was joking about adultery being punishable. That sounds... Puritan. I mean, wow. I actually know a girl who is going to get married and she cheats on her fiance a lot. I would be horrified to find out the government could punish that, though. People can deal with their own shit, the government can fuck off. Any husband with a soul would not allow his cheating wife to be imprisoned.

1984 here we come...
    Both he and his cheating wife should be whipped in town square. Her for cheating and him for putting up with it.

MBTI
    INTP

That is really, really Te. You want the government to push your opinion on people. Until loss of liberty results from drug use, it should not be a crime. Addicts are a pest for those who have to deal with them, but there is no loss of liberty. Most people who try drugs don't get addicted, and maybe a tiny sliver of a percent of people who try drugs wind up injuring or killing someone as a result of their drug use.

Except for alcohol. Lots of people get hurt and hurt others on alcohol. The government tried to make alcohol illegal, and it failed gloriously. Go figure.

MBTI
    ENTP

That is really, really Te. You want the government to push your opinion on people. Until loss of liberty results from drug use, it should not be a crime. Addicts are a pest for those who have to deal with them, but there is no loss of liberty. Most people who try drugs don't get addicted, and maybe a tiny sliver of a percent of people who try drugs wind up injuring or killing someone as a result of their drug use.

Except for alcohol. Lots of people get hurt and hurt others on alcohol. The government tried to make alcohol illegal, and it failed gloriously. Go figure.
    My opinion is that certain things are harmful to people and that we should punish people who encourage their use and distribution. I don't get why you find this controversial. We control many other dangerous and harmful behaviors.

Alcohol should certainly be more expensive and less easily available. Why does every restaurant serve alcohol now? It's disgusting.

MBTI
    INTP

My opinion is that certain things are harmful to people and that we should punish people who encourage their use and distribution. I don't get why you find this controversial. We control many other dangerous and harmful behaviors.
    Lol. You are beyond black and white thinking. You are ... "black and black," or "white and white" thinking here. Some people obviously hold the opinion that drugs are quite helpful and desirable.

MBTI
    ENTP

Lol. You are beyond black and white thinking. You are ... "black and black," or "white and white" thinking here. Some people obviously hold the opinion that drugs are quite helpful and desirable.
    Those people are called potheads. They'll also talk your ear off about how hemp makes awesome soap and will solve the energy supply problem.

Do you smoke weed? Just yes or no, please.

I'd respect potheads so much more if they just said, "Hey, bro. I just love love love to get high."