User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 472

  1. #71
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Can't tell if you're joking or not.
    I'm always serious when it comes to addiction. Addiction is serious business. Legalization legitimizes drug use. Drugs should be controlled and stigmatized. People who sell drugs, from the smallest pot dealer to the big suppliers should be dealt with harshly so that everyone knows not to sell drugs. Use will diminish once you dismantle distribution.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  2. #72
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I'm always serious when it comes to addiction. Addiction is serious business. Legalization legitimizes drug use. Drugs should be controlled and stigmatized. People who sell drugs, from the smallest pot dealer to the big suppliers should be dealt with harshly so that everyone knows not to sell drugs. Use will diminish once you dismantle distribution.
    Nice to meet you, Mr Buzz Killington.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  3. #73
    Senior Member zago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    So what would the punishment for adultery be? And would it actually stop people? No one who really wants to do drugs now is prevented by their being illegal. All criminalization does is make the drugs more dangerous and more expensive, and it enriches the most corrupt and violent people in our society. It happens with prostitution, as well. Any time you criminalize a vice, you create a lucrative black market that is far worse than what would happen if the vice were legal. Look what happened during Prohibition. The number of alcohol-related deaths skyrocketed, and the violent crime rate became outrageous.
    I thought he was joking about adultery being punishable. That sounds... Puritan. I mean, wow. I actually know a girl who is going to get married and she cheats on her fiance a lot. I would be horrified to find out the government could punish that, though. People can deal with their own shit, the government can fuck off. Any husband with a soul would not allow his cheating wife to be imprisoned.

    1984 here we come...

  4. #74
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    We are NOT the government, and we are not supposed to be. This is not a direct democracy. It's a constitutional republic.
    So, how does this mean we're not the government?

    People have rights no matter what the majority of society might vote at any time. One of them would be the right to decide what does or does not go into one's own body. Furthermore, addiction does NOT hurt everyone. I know perfectly nice, positive, productive people who, by government definition, are drug addicts. What is bleeding over from them in society?
    People don't have a right to harm themselves, but we can't control that. People don't have a right to sell drugs that harm other people. We especially punish these people. We can control this. And we will. Thank God. Addiction is a disease. It goes against life.

    So what would the punishment for adultery be?
    Blacklisting? Ineligibility to hold jobs where ethics are required? Inability to remarry legally? There is no excuse for adultery within the confines of marriage.

    And would it actually stop people?
    Maybe? Making divorce easy and making marriage easy certainly hasn't made things better.

    No one who really wants to do drugs now is prevented by their being illegal.

    Punish the distributors. The users will stop when there is no supply.

    All criminalization does is make the drugs more dangerous and more expensive, and it enriches the most corrupt and violent people in our society. It happens with prostitution, as well. Any time you criminalize a vice, you create a lucrative black market that is far worse than what would happen if the vice were legal. Look what happened during Prohibition. The number of alcohol-related deaths skyrocketed, and the violent crime rate became outrageous.
    More dangerous and expensive. Good! Criminal activities should be dangerous and expensive and risky.

    Alcohol should be controlled more through taxation. The pendulum has swung too far in favor of all alcohol, all the time. Alcohol is a drug.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  5. #75
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Nice to meet you, Mr Buzz Killington.
    Get your ass in the pillory, Prudence.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  6. #76
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    I thought he was joking about adultery being punishable. That sounds... Puritan. I mean, wow. I actually know a girl who is going to get married and she cheats on her fiance a lot. I would be horrified to find out the government could punish that, though. People can deal with their own shit, the government can fuck off. Any husband with a soul would not allow his cheating wife to be imprisoned.

    1984 here we come...
    Both he and his cheating wife should be whipped in town square. Her for cheating and him for putting up with it.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  7. #77
    Senior Member zago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I'm always serious when it comes to addiction. Addiction is serious business. Legalization legitimizes drug use. Drugs should be controlled and stigmatized. People who sell drugs, from the smallest pot dealer to the big suppliers should be dealt with harshly so that everyone knows not to sell drugs. Use will diminish once you dismantle distribution.
    That is really, really Te. You want the government to push your opinion on people. Until loss of liberty results from drug use, it should not be a crime. Addicts are a pest for those who have to deal with them, but there is no loss of liberty. Most people who try drugs don't get addicted, and maybe a tiny sliver of a percent of people who try drugs wind up injuring or killing someone as a result of their drug use.

    Except for alcohol. Lots of people get hurt and hurt others on alcohol. The government tried to make alcohol illegal, and it failed gloriously. Go figure.

  8. #78
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    That is really, really Te. You want the government to push your opinion on people. Until loss of liberty results from drug use, it should not be a crime. Addicts are a pest for those who have to deal with them, but there is no loss of liberty. Most people who try drugs don't get addicted, and maybe a tiny sliver of a percent of people who try drugs wind up injuring or killing someone as a result of their drug use.

    Except for alcohol. Lots of people get hurt and hurt others on alcohol. The government tried to make alcohol illegal, and it failed gloriously. Go figure.
    My opinion is that certain things are harmful to people and that we should punish people who encourage their use and distribution. I don't get why you find this controversial. We control many other dangerous and harmful behaviors.

    Alcohol should certainly be more expensive and less easily available. Why does every restaurant serve alcohol now? It's disgusting.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  9. #79
    Senior Member zago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    My opinion is that certain things are harmful to people and that we should punish people who encourage their use and distribution. I don't get why you find this controversial. We control many other dangerous and harmful behaviors.
    Lol. You are beyond black and white thinking. You are ... "black and black," or "white and white" thinking here. Some people obviously hold the opinion that drugs are quite helpful and desirable.

  10. #80
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Lol. You are beyond black and white thinking. You are ... "black and black," or "white and white" thinking here. Some people obviously hold the opinion that drugs are quite helpful and desirable.
    Those people are called potheads. They'll also talk your ear off about how hemp makes awesome soap and will solve the energy supply problem.

    Do you smoke weed? Just yes or no, please.

    I'd respect potheads so much more if they just said, "Hey, bro. I just love love love to get high."
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Similar Threads

  1. If you'd liked to be typed . . .
    By amerellis in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 336
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 12:32 AM
  2. Post a book you think everyone should read and say why
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 10:21 AM
  3. Funny the way it is, if you think about it ~
    By BoChelly in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-14-2010, 07:33 AM
  4. Which kind of function use do you think this might be?
    By Halfjillhalfjack in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2009, 09:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO